@Dwight: Wavetray

Forum for kitesurfers
jever98
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby jever98 » Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:40 am

Too high risk of serious injury if you decide to leave your board on the water when you jump :wink:

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Tue Aug 27, 2002 11:49 am

On 2002-08-27 10:36, jever98 wrote:
Hhhm, it will be kind of tricky for me to try the wavetray in waves, since I am inland.

Dwight, what did you change in your technique to prevent the front fin from catching?

I was using the 147 with 35 mm fins.
More back foot pressure, less front foot pressure. Getting use to the quick response to front to back weight changes, helps reduce the errors in front foot pressure and water spray. It never goes away completely though. Even pickle forks throw water in the face. Some boards never do, but those are usually narrow tail boards.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dwight on 2002-08-27 12:49 ]</font>

jever98
Frequent Poster

Postby jever98 » Tue Aug 27, 2002 11:55 am

I was wondering why the fins have to be so far out on the rail. On Jonah Lepak's boards, they a are further toward the middle.
What difference does it make except for the catching of the fins?

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Tue Aug 27, 2002 4:56 pm

On 2002-08-27 12:55, jever98 wrote:
I was wondering why the fins have to be so far out on the rail. On Jonah Lepak's boards, they a are further toward the middle.
What difference does it make except for the catching of the fins?
On Martin Vari's WT's he has his fins mounted further toward the middle. The Underground guys don't like the way a Vari board rides. I don't know why Martin mounts his fins further in, or what it does.

jever98
Frequent Poster

Postby jever98 » Tue Aug 27, 2002 5:08 pm

Dwight, special request to you:
Why don't you take your wavetray, drill a few holes and change the fins around. then you can tell us for yourself
:lol:

Only kidding...

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Tue Aug 27, 2002 5:21 pm

On 2002-08-27 18:08, jever98 wrote:
Dwight, special request to you:
Why don't you take your wavetray, drill a few holes and change the fins around. then you can tell us for yourself
:lol:

Only kidding...
Hey, you can always ask Adrian yourself.

I trust their R&D efforts. If they say the Vari board is not as nice with the fins inward, then I trust them. After all, I'm no Martin Vari :eek:)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dwight on 2002-08-27 18:21 ]</font>

jever98
Frequent Poster

Postby jever98 » Tue Aug 27, 2002 5:26 pm

Will do...

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:02 am

I noticed on a Vari board in a recent Mag he had holes for the normal fin position and another set of hole further inboard, unfortunatly I tell which set of holes he was using. Perhaps he changes them depending on conditions or something

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:28 am

On 2002-08-28 01:02, Anonymous wrote:
I noticed on a Vari board in a recent Mag he had holes for the normal fin position and another set of hole further inboard, unfortunatly I tell which set of holes he was using. Perhaps he changes them depending on conditions or something
He did that on his older boards. If you look around on the web you'll see him with the Slingshot fin arrangement, then the one you saw, then just 4 fins located more in from the rail. Adrian is making him some new extra short boards now.

I've been told the new generation of really fast kites do well with smaller boards than what we ride today. Maybe go small with an eye toward the future.

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:42 am

On 2002-08-28 01:28, Dwight wrote:

He did that on his older boards. If you look around on the web you'll see him with the Slingshot fin arrangement, then the one you saw, then just 4 fins located more in from the rail. Adrian is making him some new extra short boards now.

I've been told the new generation of really fast kites do well with smaller boards than what we ride today. Maybe go small with an eye toward the future.
Thats interesting, I am of the general opinion the faster kites depower to easily with smaller boards - i.e it's to easy in rough conditions to force the kite to the edge of the window.

Though I guess for Pro's in competition circumstances that would mean that they can take out even bigger kites!

Obviously gear enhancements havn't really slowed down much like many people had thought they would....

Return to “Kitesurfing”