Back Problems

Forum for kitesurfers
Greeny
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Greeny » Wed Aug 28, 2002 9:50 am

Wow, thanks everyone excellent advice, I have been using a Neil Pryde ratchett style wave harness. I realise I do need a kite harness because it's not designed for it & I can see it won't last long. I bought an Air Rush Crash vest hopefully this will stop it riding up, if I can get it all on. I wondered whether to try my seat harness, might give it a go.

Seems to me we need a waist/crash vest all in one, with enough velcro/neoprene vastners to prevent the whole thing moving up.

So far just the odd twinge from my back, I guess with time you don't get pulled out of shape as much & you put less strain on your back, but then I will be going out more powered up.

Cheers for the advice folks!

Greeny
Rare Poster

Postby Greeny » Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:01 am

Wow, thanks everyone excellent advice, I have been using a Neil Pryde ratchett style wave harness. I realise I do need a kite harness because it's not designed for it & I can see it won't last long. I bought an Air Rush Crash vest hopefully this will stop it riding up, if I can get it all on. I wondered whether to try my seat harness, might give it a go.

Seems to me we need a waist/crash vest all in one, with enough velcro/neoprene vastners to prevent the whole thing moving up.

So far just the odd twinge from my back, I guess with time you don't get pulled out of shape as much & you put less strain on your back, but then I will be going out more powered up.

Cheers for the advice folks!

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:20 am

On 2002-08-28 10:50, Greeny wrote:

Dakine has exactly that, in the 2003 catalog.

Greeny
Rare Poster

Postby Greeny » Wed Aug 28, 2002 11:23 am

Anybody looked at climbing harnesses?

They hang of those for days on end, I presume they either, don't crush your knackers or climbers don't have offspring!

Rossall
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blackpool and Como.
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras
Waddell
Tarifa
Gear: Follow the Rabbits
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Postby Rossall » Thu Aug 29, 2002 8:13 am

Back problems are usually associated with abuse of the area over a prolonged time or an individual incident that knackers it completley. The best action is to do something that none of usually bother to do, stretch and exercise prior to going on the water. I recently had to have a back op.
( discectomy ) due to a isolated lifting incident, I popped a disc out in between L5 and S1 vertibrates and stuck it in my back nerves ouch ! well 7 months on and Iam back on the water, just. and yes I exercise and stretch every day.

chirojoseph
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All of Quintana Roo Mexico
Style: wave kite, wave FOIL kite
Gear: zeeko, Shinn, Fone, SShot, Naish, AXIS surfboards

Postby chirojoseph » Fri Aug 30, 2002 2:22 am

as RIck Iossi mentioned, we designed, printed and distributed about 1500 copies of the Kitesurfers guide to staying flexible at the 2002 Cabarete World cup this year. We had a stretch workshop under our big tent every morning for the pro riders and it really caught on. Dont beat yourselves up about it too much as even the pros, the ones riding for $$$$$, dont stretch correctly or often or at ALL!!

We were very suprised that what we took to be basic low back, ab, legs, shoulder, neck stretching exercises were unknown by the majority of the riders! (alot of them had never beeen chiropractically adjusted before either so itwas fun to show them all what they had been missing!)

Anyhow, the hotel that "sponsored" my stretch clinic was the Caracol apt. hotel in Cabarete. On their home page is a link to the guide but hes having virus probs or something and its not working. Im hounding him on it and if it seems like its going to take forever well get a copy online in powerpoint or word version complete with pics. Between Rick and I we should be able to find a "neutral" website to put this sort of info.

Meanwhile, try to really work on low back rotational flexibility by laying on the ground and pulling one leg over you with one arm and throwing the other arm the opposite direction (and LOOKING the other direction too) to get a nice slow pulling stretch in the Qlumborum muscles. Make sure to take 5 deep breaths and pull a little deeper each time you EXhale. If you dont spend at least 50 seconds (5 deeps breaths more or less) slowly increasing the stretch its my opinion you are wasting your time.

Remember to stretch the GLUTEALS every day too because hyper chronic contracted butt muscles usually preceed low back muscle spasm. I could go on and on but lets hope we can get the stretch guidce online soon.

Cheers,

Dr. Joseph Will
mexico

aklbob
Frequent Poster

Postby aklbob » Fri Aug 30, 2002 5:31 am

Thanks for the advice, that's great. Could you send me some more info on stretching? WOuld be greatly appreciated.. timfriedel@yahoo.com ... my physio thinks I am making a quick recovery, I have stiffness in my back when sitting, but that goes away after standing for 10min or so or stretching..
I went big... then I went to hospital :wink:

Return to “Kitesurfing”