Back Problems

Forum for kitesurfers
Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dwight » Tue Aug 27, 2002 8:21 pm

The 2002 Fusion has tiny leg strap buckles. When I rode shackled, I ripped the buckles open. Once pulled apart, they have to be replaced.

I’m using a Naish waist harness with an old Dakine seat attachment sewn on the bottom. The waist harness stays low most of the time, so the seat attachment is backup prevention, to make sure it stays there. I have no nut problems. I wish these harness companies would start making good surf seats again. They were waist harnesses with hold down seat attachments

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Tue Aug 27, 2002 8:24 pm

On 2002-08-27 20:52, http://www.kite-surf.com wrote:
I never jump unhooked. I'm too weak to jump unhooked :smile:

Did anyone try one of these spreader bars from DaKine?

Does the Fusion come by default with that spreader bar? I've seen a lot of Fusions with that spreader bar...

They do not come with it. People I know didn't like that hook. The Fusion works fine with a standard hook.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Tue Aug 27, 2002 8:41 pm

Hi Greeny,
I think it also depends on how often you're on the water. I've found the best way to prevent back pain is to be in good shape BEFORE you put strain on your back. Doing situps (and other excersies) every day works for me. Thing is that if you don't stay in shape and don't kite much for a while, as soon a you get say 14 days kiteworthy wind you'll be putting a hell of a strain on your back that it just hasn't been used to before this intense activity. Warming up before you go out is also a good idea but very few of us do.
Get well soon.
Jo

kpipis
Medium Poster

Postby kpipis » Tue Aug 27, 2002 8:50 pm

i suffer (back problems)till now i use seat harness and i'm very pleased.the question:wich harness is better for the back waist or seat?worths the pain so u have the advantages of the waist??

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:41 pm

The Da Kine Fusion is the only harness for me.I have lower back pain (from damaged vertebrae)and the Fusion is the only one so far to help alleviate this - and not wear out the straps in a few sessions.The Naish seat is not as supportive and the straps wear out in a few weeks of use.So,if you have money to burn - go ahead and buy the Naish product, but for me I will stick to the only choise :grin:A KINE FUSION...

Go Big

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:44 pm

Make that choice!!! (whoops)

Go Big

aklbob
Frequent Poster

Postby aklbob » Tue Aug 27, 2002 11:16 pm

I have noticed big differences between harness too. My history is as follows :
Started kiting using a Naish waist harness, I am almost 6ft 2, thin frame wide shoulders. Naish waist harness rides up a lot. I kite 1 a week in winter, 3-4 times a week in summer. Don't usually do any warm ups.
after 3 months, got low back pain from resisting the kite with my back.
4 months : lost my waist harness, bought a windsurf Da-kine seat harness
4 months 2 weeks : took a spill, put my back out a bit (took two weeks to recover). Lack of support for my back.
5 months : got a Da-kine Fusion seat harness(first model that came out) and it was great, better back support, can take spills with confidence.
6 months : leg straps ripped through nylon padding they were stitched to (no reinforcing on leg straps - crap design).
8 months 2 weeks : got leg straps restitched and hell reinforced. This harness is great, it doesn't ride up, it sits on your hips and back support half way up your back.
12 months : Harness is holding well, but I took a big spill, front loop gone wrong, kite and me hit water very hard from high up, winded, but kited for another 2 hours
3 days later : back very stiff, gone into spasm, and complete lose of lumbar spine curve in back (This particular day I did a 5min warm up routine).

My back being stiff was telling me it had been damaged, and needed rest. It took one more bending over action (not lifting any weight) to make my back go in to painful spasms lasting 3 weeks, 1 week in bed.
I am now looking at revising my harness to give me proper lumbar support(more shaped padding at the back), while I am still unable to kite as my back still isn't right.
Next time you guys get a very stiff back, uncomfortable to walk, check out the curve in you back. It'sa very bad sign.

13 months later : Walking ok, stiff when sitting down for a while, able to do normal activities, but I don't dare go out kiting for at least another month.

aklbob
Frequent Poster

Postby aklbob » Tue Aug 27, 2002 11:21 pm

Sorry, I meant I have been kiting 13 months in total, and a month after this latest injury I reckon I still have a month to go before I go out on the water again. If appears to be a severe muscle strain or minor prolasped disc in L5 S1. I had full flexibility staright after the accident, and still have good flexibility.

kruzlifix
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Baleia, Ceara, Brazil
Style: wave and HF
Gear: AHC, Firewire, Levitaz, Moses, Cabrinha, Flysurfer

Postby kruzlifix » Wed Aug 28, 2002 5:46 am

if you have low back problem like L5/S1 at the beginning of your kite career one would do much better in a waist or even chest harness. this way all the pull from the kite is above the "bad part" of the back.
but later as one progresses, a lot of stress is between kite(harness) and board. then you should bypass the back... and one way to do this is having a comfortable seat harness.

aklbob
Frequent Poster

Postby aklbob » Wed Aug 28, 2002 9:48 am

I went to a seat harness for comfort, and I tend to ride very powered up, normally on a wavetray, boost big..... just changed to X2s, from Wipi AB's. I would even consider the seat-back combo harness that naish make, except that it has a very high hook position. Most bad wipeouts I have are when you land on your front, kite pulling. You tend to 'hyperextend' ie arch your back on impact. My physio has got me doing extension excercises, and will start me on a routine to strengthen abdominal and the all the muscle groups around your hips. No-one is making a truely atanomically comfortable supportive harness.

Return to “Kitesurfing”