Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Overpowered beginner

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 30, 2002 4:47 pm

Hi,

I have this specific problem that I would like to ask more experienced kiters to help me with some advice.

To ilustrate, I will tell you yesterdays experience. I was kiting in a quite gusty conditions (gusts from 8-20 knots), but kiting was still quite possible. I had 14m2 Slingshot Fuel (can kite, come back where I started, working out some jumps). However, there were a couple of occasions where the following happend: I "locked in" the kite at apx. 45 degrees angle going upwind at an average speed. All of a sudden, I could feel the board going faster and faster, so I immediately brought the kite down (almost to the see level). However, I did not help: I was just going faster and faster, trying hard to edge my board (184 TT) until I could not hold it anymore and then felt like I was put in washing machine for a few seconds or so. :smile:

The wind was not too strong for my kite. What do do to stop the speed when I start to accelerate like that (although trying hard edging to go upwind having the kite almost infront of me, it just did not help)?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions,
Damjan

ctkiteboarding
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ctkiteboarding » Fri Aug 30, 2002 5:09 pm

i will try to edge even harder as well as drop my arm in the water to help slow down , this will work most of the time , another idea is to turn down wind with your board and sail the kite towards the window edge and reset the board this also works but you will loose ground , try them both they work well, i prefer to stomp the board myself un less im out of balance and can not hold the edge

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Aug 30, 2002 5:47 pm

if you feel too much power and you can't hold the edge anymore, put your bud into the water and fly the kite high to the zenith.
You will be washed and loose height, but better than going with full speed behind the kite until you stop or get stopped by something.

Toby

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dwight » Fri Aug 30, 2002 5:55 pm

Be quicker to recognize when you are about to get going too fast to hold your edge. It's important to keep your speed lower and stop it from getting out of control. You must be quicker to recoginze when it's going to happen and go upwind hard to control it.

Your board may be way too big also.

Return to “Kitesurfing”