Do fins make boards slow?

Forum for kitesurfers
jever98
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby jever98 » Mon Sep 09, 2002 5:52 pm

I have seen that people sometimes diss the 6 and 8 fin setups of tts for being slow. I wonder whether that really makes a difference, since we have mutants and directionals going really fast with bigger fins than tts.

Also, from my feeling, I would say you go faster if you edge harder (not breaking by powering over the back foot) than when you resist the kite relatively little. And since fins seem to help you edge, I could imagine they could make you go faster?

Open for discussion :smile:

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon Sep 09, 2002 6:59 pm

IMO, when underpowered, fins help the board plane earlier and push more of the board out of the water, therefore less board in the water = less drag = more speed.
When powered up fins just create drag.
So when underpowered directional with fins, when overpowered TT without or with very small ones.
Jo

Alf
Frequent Poster

Postby Alf » Mon Sep 09, 2002 7:20 pm

My home-made TT with 4 3mm thick fins is _REALLY_ fast. So I guess there is some thruth. I sanded the fins on my Olry 175 to half the thickness, and it also was lots faster afterwards.

grtz,
Dènis

Return to “Kitesurfing”