All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 2:48 pm 
Im planing to build my own board, this winter, would like to know where you can get all the materials and about how much it costs?

Good Winds// Otg

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 4:34 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

If you're using plywood then you'll get that from any hardware store.

As for the Resin... Epoxy or fibreglass will do. I'm also having problems getting me some decent resin. I get epoxy from a hardware or marine shop but it's expensive....

Try any surf shop... they might stock fibreglass resin (as surfers need it to repair their boards).

If you wanna use a surf blank instead of plywood then a surfshop may sell some.

Where I live in Auckland there is a place that sells surf blanks AND resin but as yet I haven't found the location of this place so I'm also still looking. 'aklbob' who I kite with quite a bit doesn't know the location either.

Anyway check out surf shops, hardware stores, marine shops for all the stuff you'll need.

What ever the cost it'll be a lot less than buying a new board.... It would cost me less than $100 in NZ to make my own wakeboard.

BLOWN AWAY :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 1:52 am 
I'm making my second board now, a 151 tt, my first was a 160 mutant. forget about using PVC for your blank and see if you can source some 20mm thick divinicell. i got mine fom a local boat builder. it is more expensive but heaps stronger and harder to ding. i've seen a few PVC boards snap after only a few hours on the water. Ask your local boat builder where you can get some resins too, they should be able to put you on to their supplier and you should be able to get all your materials from a main supplier at a good price.

i used vynil-ester resin and fiberglass to laminate my first board and poly-ester resin for my fill coat. it worded really well. i'm going to use epoxy on my 2nd board with carbon and fiberglass to add extra stiffness.

good luck and have fun, Jungles

[ 3 posts ]