Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Airblast briddle

Forum for kitesurfers
tikerak
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby tikerak » Sat Oct 05, 2002 4:14 pm

the briddle on my AB 8.4 had snaped 4 times now.. i've replaced and works fine.. whats the difference between flying the kite with and with out the briddle? how do i rig it? can i use the same lines?

thaxs

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:07 am

you can remake them from q-line,should last seasons, rear pigs come with the kite,they are about 8 to 10" im quessing start on the long side for saftey, hookem on the rear pulley straps,more bar pressure is the difference, some say and they might be right that your kite will turn slower? good luck

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:16 am

without bridles the kite will react slower at steering. You will have more pressure on the bar, it is like driving a car with or without powersteering. But the sportscars need the direct steering so you can feel the road. IMO same with kites, if it is more direct to steer you know where the kite is and heading to. When I do high jumps with rotations I can feel if the kites flies the direction where I need it. This saves me from broken rips.
But if you use bigger kites like 11.8+ then a bridle is helpfull to make the kite faster and have less pressure to protect your arms.
With bigger sizes you still have pressure on the bar to be able to locate the kite without watching.

Have fun

Toby

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Sun Oct 06, 2002 7:39 pm

On 2002-10-06 10:16, Toby wrote:
without bridles the kite will react slower at steering. You will have more pressure on the bar, it is like driving a car with or without powersteering. But the sportscars need the direct steering so you can feel the road. IMO same with kites, if it is more direct to steer you know where the kite is and heading to. When I do high jumps with rotations I can feel if the kites flies the direction where I need it. This saves me from broken rips.
But if you use bigger kites like 11.8+ then a bridle is helpfull to make the kite faster and have less pressure to protect your arms.
With bigger sizes you still have pressure on the bar to be able to locate the kite without watching.

Have fun

Toby
Thats right slower turning more muscle required enhances your feel for the loss in turning you have accepted, advantage it would seem is the hope i can make this turn feel of driving a sportscar just at the edge of your ability. nice for adrenaline rush, I don't think you could fairly say it enhances performance. have fun and enjoy the thrill. The front lines input kite pull directly to your center of effort thru the harness no loss of kite input, some prefer arm pressure nothing at all wrong there. If you hook in the hard loop for max air then you have transfreed kite pull to the harness so have only lost the ability to sheet, this is of corse a personal choice and not subject to critism as everyone makes thier own choices for their own reasons and they are stuck with them good bad or indifferent often this where is the kite thing is offered as valid reason for sacrificing turning performance, I know my kite is at the end of my lines and don't have to worry about feeling it in my arms because i feel it at my center of effort, I say fly what you will but be honest about why. I ride bridals because i like high performance, other take them off? maybe they like the thrill factor, to each his own, go big & be safe.
PS. This is not an attack on toby or his veiw points he goes huge and knowes best what is best for him. this is only a chance post on a subject i have an interest in that is the defence of bridals by those who sight the loss of arm pressure as a negative to kite performace to which I disagree.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fokiten on 2002-10-06 20:51 ]</font>

francky
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby francky » Sun Oct 06, 2002 8:37 pm

Hello
one thing is that if you get rid of the briddles then you loose the relaunch system . Any way for the 8.4 it 'is not really needed exept if you are a light weight and wish to ride in light winds . The 8.4 is doing really well without briddles so i think you better forget it ..

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:08 pm

I agree and disagree.
Been using the 8.4 for 1 year now with and without bridals.
Firstly, there is no need on this kite for the reverse launch part of the bridal, it relaunches well and far more safely by the standard method, [ie swim towards then stop swimming as it rolls onto its back, then catch a bit of wind with one tip and manouever it to the edge of the window where it launches with low power rather than though the power zone]

The other part of the bridal forms a 'Z' between front and rear lines and goes through the pulleys on the back line attachment. The pulley effectively halves the steering (back) line movement for each bar movement and hence also halves the pressure required for that movement. This has the effect of SLOWING the turning speed for a given bar input and reducing bar pressure respectively. So you get 'power steering' at the expense of more bar input to turn.

Riding with bridals: light on the bar but loss of 'feel' of the kite position; exaggerated steering movements required to turn quickly (therefore slows kite turning) but this reduces errors in kite handling when rotating/ upside down etc. Oh yes, they can snap easily!

Riding without bridals: very quick turning and heavy on the arms. I have to use a short 45cm bar in this mode to get a sensible rate of turn, but that might just be me. The feel of the kite is not spongy. No snapping and swimming back.

The pulleys get clogged with sand and stop revolving. This then puts wear on the bridal line sliding over it and hence it snaps! You may find less snapping with new pulleys if you look after them properly.

In the end you just have to find out what you like and stick with it. My bridals also snapped so I binned them. I don't use them on the 11.8 either and can always relaunch it.
hope it helps

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:58 pm

thanks guys, good input I agree with all, the 8.4 dose relaunch well without da system, I some times use it any way as a time saver, when its light you have to wait until it gets to the edge of the window to launch. on the 11.8 its almost a wash if its to light to standard launch you have to be hudini to work the system,but at least you have a shot, the bar pressure as an aid to where the kite is I don't see it maybe im dense? turn rate? its like the fine and rough adjustment on survey tools,I like big power moves and slashing so for me it is a license to be aggressive yet not get pounded for to much input. thats where i get the performance statment-you can get away with almost anything and live to tell about it. as for the snaping wipi choose poorly, I remake mine from q-line I have never broke them. the important point here I think we can all agree on is Live and let live, if no body busts my nuts about bridals are for rookies, I will not have to take them to task about their good points, fokiten is out on this thread, lets find something fun to talk about.

Return to “Kitesurfing”