All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: safest sheeting system?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:36 pm 
I am a beginner thinking about my first kite purchase. I have spent countless hours playing with a trainer, and can pretty much fly it in my sleep. I am taking my first lessons.

what new (2003 or 2004) kite do you think comes with the safest sheeting system, and why?

i am particularly interested in

-ease of relaunch
-effective depower
-good leash system
-ability to collapse kite and/or get free when the shit hits the fan

One thing I am wondering about is - shouldn't the leash be spinable? not because I am going to do any amazing tricks, but because if it doesn't spin, won't the leash twist around the lines and screw up the safety release if (when) I accidentally spin the kite?

Thanks.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:05 pm 
Medium Poster

2003-2004 systems are all about the same with the exception of the 2004 Cabrinha Recon and Naish UDS systems. Ignoring these two for now, the biggest differences are leash location (front or rear lines) and sheeting system (webbing or cam cleat). Among these, it's all personal preference. I like webbing (more reliable, easier to adjust on-the-fly) and front (center) line leashes.

Depower capability is more dependent on the kite than the bar. If a bar has a short depower range (e.g. Naish), it's probably because the kite can't use any more. Any name-brand manufacturer will match the capabilities of the bar to the kite.

Yes, in most 2003 systems the leash wraps around the chicken loop when you spin. No, I've never had a problem deploying the safety when this happens. It sorts itself out.

Now for Recon and UDS. This is an interesting question - Should beginners start with either of these? Recon is certainly a huge step forward in bar simplicity and relaunchability...but shouldn't every kiter know how to do a conventional re-launch...just like every driver should know how to use a manual transmission? As for UDS: increased performance at the expense of higher complexity? Not sure if it would be great for a beginning kiter - time will tell.

My advice: Pick a moderate AR kite (Aero, Aero2, Boxer, GTO, 2002 Fuel, Access, CO2, G-Spot, etc) and take the bar that goes with it.

Last edited by 5score on Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:05 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Some good points have been made, & I have some to add:

UDS & RECON have releases above the bar, as does FlexiFoil. I'm not sure if that's better or worse than the traditional below-bar release, but neither are as safe as a bar-activated release such as the OceanRodeo.com "JoyStick" "PunchOut" system. Now if we could only figure out how to incorporate ALL the features into one bar: Punch-Out ReCon that's a "free" bar once unhooked (like the UDS).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:40 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

hey kiteboarder@pacbell.net,

i will have to second your motion. the punch out of the ocean rodeo has made all the difference to me in the safety of kiting. i always feel that i can release in any situation, although i have only had to activate it twice thankfully.

kt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:37 pm 
Medium Poster

I would without a doubt get a Cab CO2 Recon kite if I was begining today.
I have seen it work and it is all that and more.
You will spend so much more productive time on the water when learning than with kite that is harder to relaunch especially if you start using a board leash. (I recommend against this but some feel they must use it when they start.)

This is of course before seeing what the othe kite manufactures bring to the table this year.
Go Recon, you will not regret it.
You can practice doing the old type of swim and flip over relaunch if you get tired of it being so easy to do.
I have no interest financially in Cabhrina
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

[ 5 posts ]