Using your kiteboard for wakeboarding

Forum for kitesurfers
Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Using your kiteboard for wakeboarding

Postby Starsky » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:00 pm

Well, I have an rrd juice, have ridden in boots exclusively for 7 years now on rockered kite boards and can say unequivocally that almost all, and certainly all boards with straps suck as wake boards.

Can you get up and ride? Of course, will it help a rookie gain board skills, sure, but lets not kid ourselves. The uninformed opinions on here are hilarious!

Anyone with a clue on the subject will tell you that a true wakeboard has far to much rocker to be used effectively behind a kite unless its absolutely nukin. Behind a boat there is no shortage of power so all the aspects that make a kiteboard efficient are big drawbacks. They ride too fast and do not pop off a wake well.

There are a very few boards that will work reasonably well both behind a kite and at a cable park like the mentioned rrd juice and Tona pop and others but they are rare. We are getting there, But there is a vid out there that makes it look like an aussie guy is killing it using a cab custom as a crossover board, but even that is suspect. Its been reported he has a propper wake board behind the boat with a cab paint job.

By all means get up and ride around behind a wave runner. They make no real wake and are really only used to pull people over rails and kickers. You will have more fun than sitting on your ass, but its not wakeboarding by any stretch of the imagination.

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Been thanked: 0

Postby Tiago1973 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:07 pm

KiteVol wrote:I have a waverunner and thought it might be good board practice to wakeboard with my kiteboard. I have never wakeboarded before and wondred how to you get up and is it possible to do with a kiteboard.

So how do I waterstart behind the ski and stand up?

KV
waterstart is totally transferable from a kite to a wave runner or the opposite

similar body position, similar movment, the big difference is someone else will have the gas pedal, not you

as a summary - just try it and you will suceed

that´s it

Jantrit
Rare Poster

Postby Jantrit » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:33 pm

I spent an entire winter hitting the cables at Trophy Lakes in Charleston, SC using my Shinn Gentronic. You can certainly use a kiteboard but if you are really going to do wake tricks switch to a wake board. I used my kiteboard because I wanted to get really comfortable with how it felt in the water and I was going every weekend specifically because I wanted to beef up my kiteboard riding skills.

I tried out a number of wakeboards and they were fun and let you do a lot of things the kiteboard didn't. I found that once I got up and locked in on the kiteboard it took a lot to get the board to break free and slide around.

Both were fun and we even took out a couple surf boards and rode them at the cable park. I say go out there and try it.You don't have to be the model of efficiency to have a great time on the water.

Zimo
Rare Poster

Postby Zimo » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:17 am

Yes basically you can use kiteboard for cable or with boat but usual kiteboards are hard enough to control because of good planning. It's better if you can use kiteboard with increased rocker. I personally ride with Aboards wakestyle kiteboard W-series (http://www.aboards.eu/public/index.php? ... s:W-series) but other brands are making such kind boards as well like Slingshot, Cabrinha, Waiman and other. Of course these rockers are not so large as on wakeboards, but anyway.
Wakeboards are constructed for riding on whole bottom surface while kiteboard basically for riding on edge upwind and only sometimes with complete surface. Real wakeboard will have really bad upwind ability. That's why kiteboards with increased rocker don't have so good upwind ability, but they still are kiteboards dedicated for riding with kite yet also fits well for wakeboarding behind the boat.

keegster17
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 175lbs
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Style: Free ride big air
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board

Postby keegster17 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:53 pm

I gave this a try behind a jetski, with my kite board, now I have never wake boarded always water skied, I got up, but man I took some good wipes, so hard a little scared to go out again. I found my edge dipped into the water that caused me to wipe out, I am wondering if a wake board has a little more give with its edges? Now maybe my driver was going to fast no sure, but I felt very little control. So if a wakeboard is much better for control and my issue I would like to hear about it, as those falls were rough on my head. maybe at 39 I should not be learning to wakeboard. lol. my board is a 138cm Jason Slezak influence, if that makes a difference, and used wakeboard type boots not slip in foot pads.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:17 pm

keegster17 wrote:I gave this a try behind a jetski, with my kite board, now I have never wake boarded always water skied, I got up, but man I took some good wipes, so hard a little scared to go out again. I found my edge dipped into the water that caused me to wipe out, I am wondering if a wake board has a little more give with its edges? Now maybe my driver was going to fast no sure, but I felt very little control. So if a wakeboard is much better for control and my issue I would like to hear about it, as those falls were rough on my head. maybe at 39 I should not be learning to wakeboard. lol. my board is a 138cm Jason Slezak influence, if that makes a difference, and used wakeboard type boots not slip in foot pads.
Wake boards are made for being pulled behind a boat ski, cable, winch.... ect ect. They have 2.5-3" of rocker and are far stiffer than a flat flexi kite board. If you are really going to spend some time behind motorized pulls then just buy a cheap wakeboard. It will out perform every kite board out there behind a kite.

Friend might have been going to fast all so. Speed should be about 25mph.

keegster17
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board

Postby keegster17 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:19 pm

Thanks theJoe. So do you think my wipe outs may have something to do with the design of kiteboard or my inexperience? it was like the lip of the board dipped slightly causing me to faceplant. crap that hurts.

jbdc
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ashbridges Bay, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Hanlan's Point, ON
Favorite Beaches: Hanlan's Point, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Ashbridges Bay, ON
Delray Beach, FL
Style: Intermediate
Gear: 2012 Pansh Aurora 15m
2010 Slingshot Octane 13m
2011 Cabrinha Crossbow 9m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Rise 7m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Cypher 5m

2010(?) Imagine Surf Fat Fish 5'2"
2011 Nobile NBL 142x42cm
2012 Ocean Rodeo Mako FR 135x37cm

2004 Gaastra Force 14m
2002 Liquid Force Switch 185cm

Postby jbdc » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:09 pm

Definitely probably too fast. :P

Your driver should be going just a little faster than you need to plane on the surface, which shouldn't be much with the low rocker and additional surface area of a kiteboard. I'm 160lbs and I've gotten up behind a 10HP aluminum fishing boat before, so you don't need much power at all. Always be turning at least a little bit to avoid catching an edge.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:26 pm

Exactly what joe said,

if your in straps its always gonna be sketch. Your board with boots is towable but for sure flatter and thin edged compared to wakeboards. Your buddy might have been going too fast or you might have been waterskiing on a kiteboard. Its all cutting, super speed and sharp corners on a ski. Kiting its all edging upwind and sometimes maxing speed just to keep power. If you were cutting hard for the wake on a kiteboard like you would on a ski no doubt catching an edge could hurt. The sweet spot for your kiteboard ridden flat with constant power is probably even slower than a rockered wakeboard thats gonna bog down sooner.

Kiters are also used to crap water conditions, so if you were out in less than good waterski conditions, well, that would be dumb.

Take your fins right off, slow way down, go only on glass and learn to backside 180.

http://vimeo.com/8253377#at=0

keegster17
Frequent Poster

Postby keegster17 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:45 pm

great advise guys. I think I will go out and buy a cheap wakeboard vs kiteboard, I own a Seadoo, so I thought I could multipurpose the kiteboard, but for $150 plus I i will probably buy a kiteboard, and tell my buddy to slow down, cause I can take a hit, but wow I hit the water like a champ, actually get nervouse thinking of those wipe outs.

Return to “Kitesurfing”