All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Experienced windsurfer trying kitesurfing, Beginner.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 4:37 pm 
Rare Poster

I have been windsurfing for twenty years and I am taking lessons for kitesurfing. I only windsurf in high wind and wave conditions and wanted to kitesurf when the wind was in the 12-18 knot range. I would like to hear from other windsurfers who also kitesurf for their thoughts on learning to kitesurf and how they balance both sports. Also any advice on suggested kites and boards for a beginner.

Thanks
Larry

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 4:56 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I was a windsurfer. Everyone I know gets hooked with kitesurfing. You get the same thrill of 25 knots windsurfing with half the wind.
Keep your 4,5 and down, everything bigger will be useless.
About kites and boards, my advise is going for a producction Twintip around 140 and any brand kite that has a good dealer in your area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:45 am 
Medium Poster

Hi Larry!

I'm longtime Florida wavesailor just getting into the sport too.

Here's the TRUTH, in Florida at least, and from my total novice perspective...

The low end isn't as low as the advertisers/marketers claim...

Yesterday it was roughly sustaining 10mph, gusts to 15 or so up here (at Hugenot on the oceanside, where everyone kites in North Florida). Eight guys were rigged with 20m kites. Only one guy was out ripping it up -- but he was 125 pounds. Another guy, who is 165 pounds, put longer lines on (probably 40m lines) and he was doing okay, staying upwind on a slow plane, not much for airs.

The other six guys were on the beach with their 20m's, saying there wasn't enough wind.

I'm excited about kiting. By my "dreams" of blasting around and hitting some airs in 8-14mph on my 20m were crushed yesterday. I'm 220 pounds. So if the 180 pound guys are sitting on the beach, when does it get sailable for me?

I feel like the kiting ads (my 20m says a range of 6-15) are misleading. In Florida, it looks like my range, at my weight, will be more like 12-20. And that's just below where I start having fun windsurfing in the waves on my 7.0 Aerotech Charge.

They say Florida wind is weaker than Maui wind. I don't understand the science there. All I can tell (from just a couple of times around the kiting crew here) is that the low end here in Florida ain't all it's cracked up to be.

People say they can tear it up in 8-14 or so. Unless you're 125 pounds, I can't see it. At 220 pounds like me, the "dream" of tearing it up in 8-14 seems to be impossible, or at least more work than fun...

However, I am enjoying getting started in something new, and completely sucking at something again... It's like learning to wavesail... a lot of work up front, but fun to see big leaps in progress...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:55 am 
Medium Poster

Oh, you asked about specific boards and kites.

Nearly everyone here on the beach in North Florida rides these boards:
http://www.litewavedesigns.com

Apparently Floridians buy them because they can grind across the bottom and the beach with no damage (they're super durable) and they go upwind really well. As a big guy and a beginner, I took everyones advice and bought the biggest one, the 179. Sandy Point shop has three 169's in stock.

For kites on the beach, everyone has a 20 meter. No brand seems to be any more popular than another.

Hope that helps...

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:25 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Location: Madison, Wi. Cabrinha, Slingshot, Blade, Axis, Epic, OR, Mystic.
Larry,

Welcome my friend. 3 years now since I touched my windsurfing boards and I swore, keeping the smaller gear would be a good thing, but it just gets more dust. Balance???? You'll find the time to ride and when you get better, the smaller kites become a blast even though they can kick your ass if you're not careful. But then again, that's part of the thrill of this sport is knowing you can be an inch away from a good ass whipping at any time. I may go back someday, but for now, the windsurf gear is all on sale at windance to anyone who's interested. I ride kites all the time and every time.

Look at any medium aspect kites like the Slingshot GTO's and others for starters. One good floaty board and a smaller one and you're set for a long time....good luck.

Steve,

Would you say the wind was a true 10-15? What size Boards??? In those winds, it's not that hard to ride and stay upwind and have a blast with a fairly floaty or wide board. It sounds like it could have been lighter winds. Any kite needs at least 8-10 to get going well and have some fun. Some kties will go sooner, but are so huge, that who knows how they fly.

I don't think the manyfacturers are off by much,, but you won't go 30' in 10 knots.... At least not yet???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:08 am 
Frequent Poster

i've been able to stay upwind on a 157 ug wt in 10-11mph on a guerilla 18, which im pretty sure doesnt have quite the power of 20m inflatos, im definite the gaastra 19.5 has more light wind power. I weigh 185lbs. the trick for me to riding in light wind is all about apparent wind, and 'being light on your feet' as some people would call it, haha. Only person I have seen who can actually get going in anything under 10mph is this one guy around here who is 120. I honestly believe that nomatter how big your damn kite is , there is a threshhold at about 10mph. that 6knots for the25m pheonix i still do not believe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:21 am 
Frequent Poster

as an ex windsurfer the things that held me back were:

getting planing in light winds,
trick is to get your centre of gravity {basically your arse}
close to your feet when waterstarting so that you get planing
on the FIRST dive of your kite
a waterstart with a kite is more like starting a wakeboard than a windsurfer

also not pointing downwind enough after the start (to get on the plane quickly enough)

gybing is a no brainer compared to a windsurfer, even on a directional

kiting in waves is heaps easier because the kite is usually pulling you upwards if you get buried, also there is less hard stuff to beat you up

the other problem i had was going upwind (but i had that problem on a windsurfer too eh.....)

and the jumps are much much better!!!!

fanatical windsurfer for 10 years, only been three times since started kiting

that thing about florida wind power is possibly due to air temp and density

here it is 16C on a warmish windy day and 12-13 knots is ok for me (i'm really heavy)
in thailand when i was there it was 35 degrees and I seemed to need about 16 to 17 to be happy

i keep thinking of that physics equation

pV = nRT

where p = pressure (assuming constant pressure)
n = number of molecules (constant)
R = 8.314, a constant
and T is the temp in degrees K
V is volume

in winter we have days of about 8 deg when we kitesurf sometimes

so that's 27 deg K less than thailand

27 deg = 1/10ish of the total temp in deg K

so looking at the pv=nRT formula that would mean the volume at 35 C
is about a tenth more, so the density of the air is about a tenth less, so the pwer in thailand is a tenth less than a chilly day here

i'm sure i've cut heaps of corners with this drivel and made some obscene assumptions so sue me.....

humidity plays a part too

someone had some nice graphs of this effect on here a while back

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:29 am 
Frequent Poster

you heavy guys wanting more low end should try some obscenely wide boards like i have

try a 150x50cm flat rockered tray, it works for me better than my 7' sky pirate and has a low end planing speed that feels like walking, which is good for getting through lulls like a big windsurfing courseboard.

works good upto like 20 knots with a g18 due to it's sharp, thin rails

i've really gotta make some pix of this thing

doofus
:bye:

Post subject: Re: Experienced windsurfer trying kitesurfing, Beginner.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:41 am 
Rare Poster

leapnlarry wrote:
I have been windsurfing for twenty years and I am taking lessons for kitesurfing. I only windsurf in high wind and wave conditions and wanted to kitesurf when the wind was in the 12-18 knot range. I would like to hear from other windsurfers who also kitesurf for their thoughts on learning to kitesurf and how they balance both sports. Also any advice on suggested kites and boards for a beginner.

Thanks
Larry

Same here,

I windsurfed for about 21 years and started recently with kitesurfing.

First i wanted to keep my gear for high and gusty winds but i have sold all windsurfing material.

I wanted to kite in light winds, i have a 19.5m² and a 13m² but i really like kitesurfing so i guess i will buy more gear to kite in all conditions.

It's the jumping that makes me go crazy :thumb:

and now it's even better coz i don't have to bring all the big materials like surfboards, masts and sails, everything fits in my trunk.

I never surfed in light winds but most of the time the weather in Belgium is good with light winds, in case of strong winds, most of the time it's cold outside and my girlfriend couldn't come along.

Now i kite with light winds and my girlfriend stays on the beach, reading a book or something....and everybody happy.

Guess i won't windsurf again, i sold my material few years ago and haven't regretted it a second.

See you on the water.

Post subject: low wind
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:51 am 
Medium Poster

Boards make all the difference.
I have 2 flat T&T plywood boards 150cm X 39cm & 150 X 45cm when the wind drops & I start to find it hard to plain with the small board just switch to the larger board & I,m of again. This really helps to extent the range of my kites. I think I,m going to build a 140cm X 37cm for my next project.
Ply board are cheap The foot straps are the biggest expence I just use cheap wind surf straps with a rubber spunge pad under it works great.
Steve

[ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next