adam koch 13 sec. jump video is online

Forum for kitesurfers
Blow Me
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Blow Me » Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:01 pm

Hey Rod, I see you been getting some sun. :lol:

Yep, amazing video. In the interview video, Adam says he is aware that he may get blown onshore, so he tried to keep his kite on the opposite side. He was somewhat aware of what was going on I guess. :o

Blow Me
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Blow Me » Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:03 pm

Forgot to mention. If you have the clip with the Audio, listen closely, and you will hear some dude in the Crowd say "OH MY GOD HES FLYING!", sh!t is funny man. It sounds like the Frank and Beans guy from Theres Something About Mary. I was listening to it over, and over, just rollen. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kite_paddle_fly
Rare Poster

water thermals

Postby Kite_paddle_fly » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:42 pm

Quite a show. Your boy was lofted by a powerful thermal updraft. Someone earlier said you had off-shore winds, which makes perfect sense: thermals almost never form over water -- it is a heat sink -- so this one triggered over land and then drifted out to where he was.

People who fly paragliders work thermals all day, but we have 26M kites instead of 15M. The ripper in question was likely a dust devil without the dust; if it could do this to a kite boarder it would have tied a paraglider in knots.

niko
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby niko » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:08 pm

nice contribute, kite_paddle:fly.

But our intension with our "15" qm kites is not to fly but to surf.
And if something happens like this is not an every day show so it is something different, <ou know ?

In gusty winds like that day a paraglider who had gone out would have been dead.

Thats the difference between kiteboarding and paragliding.

regards
niko :D

Blow Me
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Blow Me » Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:30 am

...and to get big air...so this is too big?

Blow Me
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Blow Me » Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:37 am

120K for dial up headz.http://www.muzzledigitalimagery.com/TempVideos/

There something about Adam.

P.S. kitesurfperth.com is down for a day or two due to switching servers. :thumb:

Be back soon.

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:53 am

Awesome video and the hangtime is ultimately unbeatable, but I thought you needed to have a clean landing for hangtime comps and world records, and that landing wasn't clean? (not really his fault when you get dropped out the sky like a lead balloon when the gust/thermal disappears)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:29 am

MissionMan wrote:Awesome video and the hangtime is ultimately unbeatable, but I thought you needed to have a clean landing for hangtime comps and world records, and that landing wasn't clean? (not really his fault when you get dropped out the sky like a lead balloon when the gust/thermal disappears)
the jump is not official.
But for all of us it is!

Greets
Toby

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:39 am

Ah, that explains it. I thought everyone was calling it unofficial until its actually accepted, not because of the landing.

No doubting the hangtime though, the video is awesome. I think that jump had an inflight meal and an air hostess onboard.

Mike B
Rare Poster

Postby Mike B » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:41 am

After watching the video I was betting that he was looping the kite above his head. The same thing happened to me once last year. It was the thrill of my kiteboarding career! lol - When the updraft is gone the kite will usually end up way out of the wind window. I had my kite about 45 degrees upwind at one point. It's a scary thing cause you don't know how high your gonna get. I bet he just wanted to get down towards the end there. That's what scare's me about being lofted on land. You go up with the kite then drop like a rock when it's gone.

Return to “Kitesurfing”