weird sydney wind ?

Forum for kitesurfers
hvyprq
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

weird sydney wind ?

Postby hvyprq » Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:48 am

Came home early from work today because there looked to be a 20-25 knot nor-easter blowing. Checked the weather web site and confirmed 20-25 knots. I drove down to the beach and on the way the trees were all blowing around. This normally would mean there is going to be heaps of wind...

I get down to the beach @ Narrabeen and there is at best 12 knots of wind with a couple of people struggling on 20m kites - what is going on ? The beach faces directly into a nor-easter but it is not getting any wind and there doesn't appear to be any wind further out to sea either but a little away from the beach it is blowing 20-25 ?

Anybody got a plausible explanation as to why this would be 'cause it gave me the shits !!

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Re: weird sydney wind ?

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:58 pm

hvyprq wrote:Came home early from work today because there looked to be a 20-25 knot nor-easter blowing. Checked the weather web site and confirmed 20-25 knots. I drove down to the beach and on the way the trees were all blowing around. This normally would mean there is going to be heaps of wind...

I get down to the beach @ Narrabeen and there is at best 12 knots of wind with a couple of people struggling on 20m kites - what is going on ? The beach faces directly into a nor-easter but it is not getting any wind and there doesn't appear to be any wind further out to sea either but a little away from the beach it is blowing 20-25 ?

Anybody got a plausible explanation as to why this would be 'cause it gave me the shits !!
Yesterday?
We drove to Ballambi thinking it would crank in and we would get to ride some waves, nothing over 5 knots all day.
It blew at Kurnell though, and that is only approx 45=50 klms away, I think there was some sort of inversion, I could see wind out to sea at Ballambi but it never came in to shore, when I got back to the shop at Dolls Point in looked like a huricane had been through, rubbish everywhere, but don't get me started on that!!! :evil:
Today it blew over 30 though awesome, but crazy for the begginers, I wonder how long till someone get badly smashed/killed in Sydney, its only a matter of time, IMO.
Some of the dealers here are just insane, only interested in one thing! Sales at all costs!
:x

emu
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby emu » Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:57 pm

I had the same problem, except in reverse, up at Budgewoi (Central Coast).

BOM at Norah Head said it was 16kts. Sweet as. I've just bought a 12m and was looking forward to it. When I got there it was whitecaps everywhere, guys on 9m getting blown off the water. Also, it was very gusty for a Nor-easter.

Had a good time on my 9m anyway :D .

Matt

Ramo
Medium Poster

Postby Ramo » Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:50 am

I live on the beach at Narrabeen (or narra-xxxxing-windhole as I have been known to call it!) and there does seem to be some evidence that we systematically have less wind than Palm Beach or Botany but it could grass is greener syndrome.

Jeff82
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Jeff82 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:18 am

I'm one of the beginners learning out at Kurnell, and while I haven't had too many bad stacks (just chopped up feet) I've heard stories of broken legs and arms around here over the last couple of months.

Return to “Kitesurfing”