Forum for kitesurfers
Jeff82
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

sliders

Postby Jeff82 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:39 pm

I want to start getting into rails, or sliders as I've heard they're called in kitingboarding. I was just wondering what types of boards are out there that are tough enough to handle this type of punishment regularly :?:

prairiesurf
Rare Poster

Postby prairiesurf » Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:49 pm

plywood

Jeff82
Frequent Poster

Postby Jeff82 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:24 pm

As in a home job?? I thought that might've been the case. Do they make any boards with rails suited to rails or do they have to be custom made?

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:34 pm

Nah, thats bull. Most pressed boards with very little flex should handle it. The wakeboards handle it without a problem, although it scratches the hell out of your graphics.

One option would be to look at a second hand wakeboard for it and put some footstrap plates on it. Its not ideal for kiting but will do the job, and at least you don't damage your decent board.

Practice sliders in wakeboarding should help a bit and always wear a helmet and vest if you can. Hitting solid material at 30km/h+ isn't fun. You see how difficult it is initially even with a boat because the slider is slippery and you have to transfer your weight from leaning back to leaning forward as soon as you hit the slider or you'll come short. Once you have it going at wakeboarding I'm sure it'll be 10 times easier to add the kite variable. Unfortunately i haven't had a chance to try it as we don't have any sliders at the kiting spots, so I've only done it on wakeboarding.

MadMick
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MadMick » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:40 pm

Some production boards have a tough ,clear coating on the bottom which will handle this treatment. The graphics are beneath this coating,so they stay intact. I forget what its called,but look at a slingshot board for example.

But, seriously,sliders? What a waste of time and effort! Leave that stuff to wakeboarders and skateboarders!

Nothing worse than turning up at your fave spot ,and finding some bunch of kooks with a slider and photographers (they seem to be connected somehow! )

Just seems to ruin the natural asthetics of the experience,not to mention the noise and idiotic hooting!

Just boost high!!

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:50 pm

I don't know as much. I only started wakeboarding to kill time when there was no wind, and wasn't interested in sliders, but when you try them out and get it going, its actually good fun.

Handle-pass 360's off the sliders start making it interesting and there is something about the feeling of sliding along at speed that makes it fun.

Return to “Kitesurfing”