Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Tennis Elbow?

Forum for kitesurfers
simonb
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby simonb » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:50 pm

Ok here comes my past I was a ballet dancer for over ten years so I know first hand about pain building musle around the area is the best way to go. the stronger the musle the less strain on everthing else. This does not mean go out and pump up but to work the full lenght of the musle which is using the full range of movement this does not make you bigger . size does not mean power in most cases it the other way around remember bruce lee. But the most important thing is when you first hurt your self is ice and rest after 24h you can then massage but not before hope this was some help

airbourne_oakie
Rare Poster

Postby airbourne_oakie » Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:43 pm

Tennis elbow from playing racket sport is usally attributed to either impact fatique from the vibrations constantly passing down the raquet into the muscle/joints or gripping the raquet to tightly. I suffered playing squash for some time, but I changed my game and it cleared up, until I kited heavily over the summer. I am sure its to do with how I tight I grip the bar, the looser the better.
Another point made by dwight is that shorter bars seem to be causing more problems, Im sure this is to do with the side to side bend in the wrist being aggerated by a tighter turning radius on the bar - unfortunelty there not much you can do about this.

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ptraykovski » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:04 pm

Guys with tennio elbows...

you may want to consider something like a s2 bar. It locks at any position. so really takes the strain off your arms. You may not like it for other reasons but it will tke the strain of your forearms while still allowing lots of bar motion. I have tried cab powerlock and of course a trim loop with a additional fixed loop and these produce much more strain becuae i'm not locked most of the time.

Just a thought..I don't know becuase i don't get tennis elbow, but do use a s2

-Peter.

terminalveloce
Medium Poster

Postby terminalveloce » Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:36 am

The ache I get from kiting is similar to what I get from climbing - has something to do with sustaining high loads on the joint while articulating it. Wrist rotation also plays a part. Anything you can do to reduce these factors helps, IMO.

The shoulder/elbow pain can also be contributed to by nerve impingement in the shoulder caused by muscular imbalance. Climbers typically develop an ape-like stance - our knuckles face forward when we stand with our arms hanging by our sides - due to over-development of the muscles used to "pull down". There are many exercises and stretches that effectively rectify the imbalance.

If you have similar problems I'd suggest seeing a medico who has some experience treating climbers.

hello_world
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby hello_world » Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:49 am

I agree completely with terminalveloce. I got the elbow problem after going to the climbing gym during the offseason. It's not tenis elbow. It's a different tendon in the elbow. I kited through my problem, but now I do have some scare tissue.
The best solution I found was to jump more on my weak tack. Do the tricks but practice on the tack you use less frequently. Without using a lock or harness there is only so many board-offs an elbow can take in a day.

Spencer
Medium Poster

Postby Spencer » Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:55 pm

I use my own home made 28" bar because it's way more ergonomic for my elbows (also great to have a long bar for kiteloops). I often use my own home made power steering bridle on my 19m kite, since that big beast tends to really agrivate my elbow. It's really easy to make your own power steering bridle, and it makes the big kites really easy on the elbows -- twice as easy to sheet in and twice as easy to steer!

Spencer

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:03 pm

I also have the same problem, what i found weird is:

Its hurts more when im doing whip tricks like board offs and stuff (of the fixed loop) and less when im doing the unhooked stuff powered moves, kiteloops etc, which require a lot more strengh of your arms.

So i think the problem is making strengh with your arm articulated.

When i do big session i always have to get some painkiller pills because without them i cant sleep with the pain. :(

ced1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cannon Rocks
Favorite Beaches: Cannon Rocks, Flag Beach, Anse la Raie, Witsands, Dolphin beach
Style: Big air, wave riding
Gear: Airush, Underwave

Postby ced1 » Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:26 pm

Been battling for 8 months with elbow pain (inside elbow)... seem to be seeing some light at the end of the tunnel thanks to acupuncture... Check it out if you can...

Marizu
Frequent Poster

Postby Marizu » Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:39 pm

ptraykovski, I also use the S2 lock-in bar. A couple of years ago, I had really bad elbow pains and thought I would have to stop kiting.
I switched to S2 and haven't had problems since.

Mari-zu

Marizu
Frequent Poster

Postby Marizu » Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:47 pm

I use the 65cm bar as it is about the same width as my shoulders. Shorter ones don't feel 'right' to me.
What is driving the change to smaller bars? is it just fashion?

M

Return to “Kitesurfing”