Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Blade 10.5, light wind kite???

Forum for kitesurfers
Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:14 am

macca wrote:Thanks for the input.
Steve, would it not get going any earlier than my 16.5 GXR? shoulkd i be looking at a big Flysurfer, Titan or Physcho?
Cheers.
Yeah if you are prepared to use a bigger board, the problem in very light winds with all inflatos and even the flysurfers is their sheer weight. Once the wind is a solid 8 knots most of the LEI's fly well, FS kites inlarge sizes have suffered from very slow turning, and they tend to stall and fall at the edge in light winds in the hands of anyone who is not very experienced with them.
The Blade 3 is a great kite, and I know Flexi especially tweaked the 8.5 and 10.5, the rest of the sizes had been on the market for nearly 2 months before we could get 8.5's and the 10.5 came another few weeks later.
Another good big foil is the Ozone frenzy 12.5, I have a couple of them on special one is a lightly used demo, gotta make room for the 04 version, contact me privately for a price on either.

Hey John, how do you land the 10.5 with no brakes? Have you sorted any sort of leash for the beast?

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Arcsrule » Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:21 pm

macca wrote:Thats a remortgae for a 2nd hand one, they seem to hold there value alot more than LEI.
Not really! There doesn't seem to be a used market for Flysurfers at all--at any price. When you have a $1600 kite and there is NO interest at all at $700, then the value is not there. Flysurfers are a cult kite like ARC's. Except you can sell ARC's!

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:57 pm

kitepower wrote: Hey John, how do you land the 10.5 with no brakes? Have you sorted any sort of leash for the beast?
Hi Steve,

So far my 10.5 is my kite for use in remote unpopulated spots (I'm at deserted Mexican beaches a LOT) and I'm leashless with it. I might have to throw the brake bridles back on one of these days and use a loose 3rd line as a leash if I ever want to kite near humans. This is becoming likely, as I see potential for some real light wind fun with this kite.

I launch at the edge of the window (unless I'm just flying in 2-3 mph for fun). I land at the edge of the window, just put it down and let it crumple up, preferably against an obstacle like a bush, my board, or anything else that might be around. If ANY doubt whatsoever my plan is to dump it at the water's edge and dry it off before packing it away. I think the key with this kind of landing is to do it far away from all humans, and NEVER try to hold the kite by a line (throw the bar and run toward the kite).

By the way, these are impressive kites. The 10.5 flies so well, but the 8.5 seems even better. Quick turning and it generates LOTS of power in light wind. I think the 8.5 is bridled with a bit lower AOA than the 10.5, and some of what it loses in parked power I think it might gain in dynamic power. I've had a 6.6 up briefly in about 2-4 mph wind and it didn't always seem eager to reach the edge of the window, but I have to realize that it's really bridled for best performance in a bit more wind. In that super light stuff the 10.5 and 8.5 seem to fly better than the 6.6 so far.

Steve, have you used a 10.5 much yet? What are your impressions of the Blade 3 lineup vs the Blade 2's so far?

John

MonkeyAir
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby MonkeyAir » Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:48 am

Hey John.
You say the 10.5 turns well?? How well on thirties. Better than your other large kite? FAR better? Is it waveable? It is the Blade 3 correct? Drop me an email with more particulars if it will bore the heck out of everyone else. Talk at ya soon. When are we going to MEX?? Traig

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:34 pm

loco4viento wrote:
kitepower wrote: Hey John, how do you land the 10.5 with no brakes? Have you sorted any sort of leash for the beast?
Hi Steve,

So far my 10.5 is my kite for use in remote unpopulated spots (I'm at deserted Mexican beaches a LOT) and I'm leashless with it. I might have to throw the brake bridles back on one of these days and use a loose 3rd line as a leash if I ever want to kite near humans. This is becoming likely, as I see potential for some real light wind fun with this kite.

I launch at the edge of the window (unless I'm just flying in 2-3 mph for fun). I land at the edge of the window, just put it down and let it crumple up, preferably against an obstacle like a bush, my board, or anything else that might be around. If ANY doubt whatsoever my plan is to dump it at the water's edge and dry it off before packing it away. I think the key with this kind of landing is to do it far away from all humans, and NEVER try to hold the kite by a line (throw the bar and run toward the kite).

By the way, these are impressive kites. The 10.5 flies so well, but the 8.5 seems even better. Quick turning and it generates LOTS of power in light wind. I think the 8.5 is bridled with a bit lower AOA than the 10.5, and some of what it loses in parked power I think it might gain in dynamic power. I've had a 6.6 up briefly in about 2-4 mph wind and it didn't always seem eager to reach the edge of the window, but I have to realize that it's really bridled for best performance in a bit more wind. In that super light stuff the 10.5 and 8.5 seem to fly better than the 6.6 so far.

Steve, have you used a 10.5 much yet? What are your impressions of the Blade 3 lineup vs the Blade 2's so far?

John
Hi John
If you want some better opinions on the Blade 3 contact my son Goshen at geelong@kitepower.com.au
I have flown both the 8.5 and the 10.5 on land in light winds, I was super impressed with them.
I have not used either on then water, but I have watched someone use the 8.5 I have also flown the 6.6, 4.9 4.0 and 3.0, the 3 is blisteringly fast.
The 4.9 is at least 30% faster than the blade 2, in fact the 6.6 is as fast as the old 4.9, and they turn so much better. Not quite as stable in the smaller sizes, but the large 2 are awesome compared to Blade 2 7.8 and 9.0
Use 110/135 kg brake lines, the ozone line sets are amazingly thin and strong.
I understand where you ride, and the kite can be crashed on the water as a safety measure too.

I need a new knee, do you do knee grinding and replacements? :o
I can only kite in light winds, I am at the good day bad day stage, permanently swollen, major spurring/osteo occuring, unhealed fracture in the top of my tibia, bone on bone contact over a fairly large area on inner compartment, its pretty yucky and am probably going to be forced into at least a half knee replacement within a couple of years if I can hold out that long.
No-one wants to do it yet as I am too young and still as active as I can be.
But I will never stop flying kites of some sort! :bye:

Protos
Frequent Poster

Postby Protos » Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:49 pm

Any of you gus try the Slingshot B-series kites?

Particularly the B-8 or B-10?

Do these compare?

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Blade 10.5, light wind kite???

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:04 pm

kitepower wrote: Equivalent to a 16M inflato

?????? Um that's not very powerful

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:54 am

Hey Steve,

Your son sure RIPS on his landboard (I have seen videos) unless there is another Goshen on Blades.

Thanks for the Blade info. You may remember me asking you Blade related questions over the past 5 years...I finally bought a couple.

Too bad about your knees. I don't do the grinding or replacing; I just put people (or their legs) to sleep while somebody else whips out the knives, jackhammers and cement. And of course I NEVER daydream about kiting while at work (disclaimer required by most USA malpractice carriers). I'm sure you've been the route of over-the-counter antiinflammatory analgesics (ibuprofen, naproxen and others) and maybe even had a go with glucosamine/chondroitin (not so mainstream but many anecdotal success stories). These (if appropriate for you) combined with weight control, behavior modification and assuring your feet/arches are well supported may be able to delay your encounters with guys like me and the orthopedic surgeon for a while. Hopefully whatever you do you can continue enjoying kiting for the rest of your life.

BTW, total joint replacements are often done in laminar flow rooms with a unidirectional air flow for infection prevention. If you do need the procedure, I would consider regional (spinal or epidural) anesthesia so that you might remain awake to take advantage of the conditions with a sterile indoor kite intraoperatively.

Happy flying,

John
kitepower wrote: If you want some better opinions on the Blade 3 contact my son Goshen at geelong@kitepower.com.au
I have flown both the 8.5 and the 10.5 on land in light winds, I was super impressed with them.
I have not used either on then water, but I have watched someone use the 8.5 I have also flown the 6.6, 4.9 4.0 and 3.0, the 3 is blisteringly fast.
The 4.9 is at least 30% faster than the blade 2, in fact the 6.6 is as fast as the old 4.9, and they turn so much better. Not quite as stable in the smaller sizes, but the large 2 are awesome compared to Blade 2 7.8 and 9.0

I need a new knee, do you do knee grinding and replacements? :o
I can only kite in light winds, I am at the good day bad day stage, permanently swollen, major spurring/osteo occuring, unhealed fracture in the top of my tibia, bone on bone contact over a fairly large area on inner compartment, its pretty yucky and am probably going to be forced into at least a half knee replacement within a couple of years if I can hold out that long.
No-one wants to do it yet as I am too young and still as active as I can be.
But I will never stop flying kites of some sort! :bye:

WANTSOME

Postby WANTSOME » Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:09 am

Just for the record..
My old 10.5BIII made the 18m PL Guerilla feel gutless in wind`s around 10mph..

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:45 am

[quote="loco4viento"]Hey Steve,

Your son sure RIPS on his landboard (I have seen videos) unless there is another Goshen on Blades.

Thanks for the Blade info. You may remember me asking you Blade related questions over the past 5 years...I finally bought a couple.

Too bad about your knees. I don't do the grinding or replacing; I just put people (or their legs) to sleep while somebody else whips out the knives, jackhammers and cement. And of course I NEVER daydream about kiting while at work (disclaimer required by most USA malpractice carriers). I'm sure you've been the route of over-the-counter antiinflammatory analgesics (ibuprofen, naproxen and others) and maybe even had a go with glucosamine/chondroitin (not so mainstream but many anecdotal success stories). These (if appropriate for you) combined with weight control, behavior modification and assuring your feet/arches are well supported may be able to delay your encounters with guys like me and the orthopedic surgeon for a while. Hopefully whatever you do you can continue enjoying kiting for the rest of your life.

BTW, total joint replacements are often done in laminar flow rooms with a unidirectional air flow for infection prevention. If you do need the procedure, I would consider regional (spinal or epidural) anesthesia so that you might remain awake to take advantage of the conditions with a sterile indoor kite intraoperatively.

Happy flying,

John

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I want one of those rooms, then I can sit in my armchair and fly kites!
It is Goshen, he is mad and very good, he is the same with rockclimbing, he reminds me of spiderman when I have seen him at an indoor climbing gym.
Glad you got some Blades, and that you like them, they are a pretty special kite and kite company.

Return to “Kitesurfing”