Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Djerba - pay to kite???

Forum for kitesurfers
Foxi
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Walchensee - the bavarian caribbean ;-)
Favorite Beaches: Lake Walchensee / Bavaria
Lake Garda / Italy
Paracuru / Brazil
Style: RED
Gear: Fanatic Sky Wing 5.6
Duotone Unit 2 6.0 / 4.5
Sabfoil Kraken M93/F703/S486/S425/W945/W999/W1250
Groove Skate
Moses Onda
Ozone Alpha V1
F-One Trax
North Mono & Neos
Brand Affiliation: None

invisible walls ..

Postby Foxi » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:53 pm

Toby, now it seems clear that you had and will have to join the "association" to get access to certain spots. For the kite tourist it will be quite nebulous, if violating an access right or not by using a spot. It again opens door to milking kiters by just dedicating a spot to the list ..
I think the original posting was absolutely correct in the core sense that kiters have to pay in (seemingly) public areas and somebody builts an invisible wall around them, controlling access through cash registers.

that simple ..

aloha

Jürgen

flashboarder
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby flashboarder » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:58 pm

just choose another kite destination... :bye:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:04 pm

Robert, I don't know about the past, but these statements above are a fact now, so for the future you just refer to them.

But now with the "sensitive zones" it is a different story.
Frank, you may list all of these zones, so we know about it.
Also explain why they are "sensitive".
So they will be not sensitive if we buy a license, is that correct ???

Thx for answering.

lewis
Medium Poster

Postby lewis » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:39 pm

I'll assume there's some language barriers here...

The "sensitive" spots are poor sites where accidents that could endanger the future of kiting on the island are likely. For example the southern shore of the lagoon at Houmt Souk has a busy road next to a very narrow slippery beach. Kiting in any onshore wind would be dangerous. A license will make this no less sensitive and there are plenty of other locations nearby that make a whole lot more sense.

vietkiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vietkiter » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:07 pm

lewis wrote:I'll assume there's some language barriers here...
I'll assume there's some FACT barriers here as well...

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:18 pm

ok,so the authorities should make it a no-kite zone, so all other places are not endangered.

ok, for me it is clear, I can kite for free on Djerba!
If I or anyone else goes there and experiences something else in the future, we all know what is next....

For me the problem is solved, no need to discuss further and stir the pie.
Maybe it was different before, but now we have a different situation, at least for me.

kitesurfrabbi
Frequent Poster

Postby kitesurfrabbi » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:31 pm

hi,

I have no interest to diss Djerba and their Kite-association, but something really stinks here.
I just talked to Michael one of the 5 Austrian "kitepunks". His story is verry similar to what Mark stated:
Some owner of a kiteshop wanted them to pay for a licence. They asked back at their hotelmanager who checked with the authorities and then stated, they should simply neglect that person.
About the claim that there was force-8-Storm hitting the peninsula: they where on 14s and 12s and it was rather 5 to 6. Their kitelevel is intermediate (one of them does actually quite well). No way they could have handled force-8-conditions.

Seems someone doesn't tell the trouth.
But Michael is also on the internet, maybe he will tell his version here. I'll ask him.

Later ronald

www.foils.nl
Rare Poster

Postby www.foils.nl » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:59 pm

kiteloop wrote:Well Frank Schuett don’t take the mickey with us.You are telling not the truth! There are more than these 5 austrian kiters! You also tried to get money from us (Mark, Alex, Michael). It was the 22th or 23th 2003 in the restaurant of the Dar Ali Hotel and there were also a lot of other kiters at the table. Also the instructors of kitemafia.de. Fact is you tried to get 10 EURO for your selfmade card called Kitesurfing-Licence of Djerba. We said we still have a licence from the VDWS (german). And your words were “VDWS licence is a joke and not guilty here. If we would not buy the licence the Guard National could confiscate our kite-stuff.
The next day we talked with the Guard National, and after we knew this was just a criminal trick from you to get our money.
And I don’t like this!!
And there a more storys like this about FRANK!

Mark
This all might or might not be true. Noone will ever know this. The point which makes me choose "the side" of Frank is that I know him for years now and don't see him as being manipulative or cheap as you describe. Since this is your first and only post in kiteforum.com i think this post of yours might be emotionally "coloured" unless you find a way of proving otherwise.

I mean, come on, whats the use of this kind of ranting and shit? If you would seriously be interested in informing fellow-kiters about the things you experienced you probably wouldn't wrote things the way you did.

Again, I know Frank to be a legit guy running a legit operation and can't imagine him trying to f*** up his businesses image (which would be the result of actions as you describe) for a meager 5 times 10 euro. This would be the most stupid way of fucking your own business don't you agree?

Therefore i'm not willing to buy this story, unless you get these 5 "Austrian kiters" willing to testify and the instructors from kitemafia.de since they were there and whitnessed the whole thing.

Shouting out things might harm things that others try to build carefully. Keep that in mind before you open the noise-valve! Take an example in the post of Kitesurfrabbi right above this one.

Again, just my 2c.

Spacecowboy
Rare Poster

Postby Spacecowboy » Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:54 pm

Hi,
well, I have also been on Djerba between Christmas and the 6th of Jan.
Some questions: What is a Kite Punk? Is it somebody you get's his kicks from a cool kiteboarding session? Who helps other people, by explaining tricks, lending you a harness or helping you to repair your tupe?
That's how our contact was with the 5 Austrian guys.

Another question, why should people lie in that forum and bringing up that story? Djerba is a great spot.
Some Facts:
Yes, Frank supports the Kitecommunity in Djerba, everybody who wants, meets regular in the Bar Dar Ali. Après Kite-boarding.
However, he also directly told me the following:
- The guard national, office de tourisme and he basically decides, when and where kiteing is possible (wheater, tide etc....), people who go against it, their kite stuff can be confiscated - Bullshit!!!
Zitat: Für den ist Kiten auf Djerba gelaufen....
We still do not know, what/where is a sensitive Zone and who are the local authorities (it is definetly not the guard national - see message from Kiteloop). Rules are ok and I think everybody accepts them, if they are true, well communicated (e.g. Kite-Magazins) and traceable. People would appreciate that official communication instead of hearing only rumors.
(And a rumor always has some truths behind it)
So Frank my advise. If you really want earn some money in the future and improve your business/ image work on the infrastructure and not on a new layout for your Djerba Kite license. Examples: Place where everybody can store his kite-stuff at the main spot, compressed air for pumping up the tubes would be great, a little shop very people can buy forgotten or broken stuff (gloves, lines, repair kit etc.)

That's it - enjoy free Kite-boarding in Djerba

Spacecowboy

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:41 pm

Frank,

take the opportunity and load up all spots on http://www.kitebeaces.com
you know the island and its spots best, so if you load them up, we all get the best infos possible, where riding is accepted and for free.

Thx
Toby

Return to “Kitesurfing”