So what's the problem....

Forum for kitesurfers
Fleetboarder
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

So what's the problem....

Postby Fleetboarder » Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:01 am

With Shannon Best and the Best network in general. Everytime I'm on this forum I read post after post of people bleating about Best and his products/services. So what has Mr. Best done to everyone around the globe to piss them off so much that they feel the need to bag him whenever the opportunity arises.

All I see is a win win situation. He has cheaper gear for sale, shipping, accessories, follow up phone calls, etc, and is making some money out of all his efforts.

We buy his cheap gear, accept the cheap shipping, buy a t-shirt here and there, talk to him (or a rep) when they make their follow up phone call and are happy with our purchase, the service and the after market service.

Having never met the man myself, I can't comment on him so I won't.

sid5150
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby sid5150 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:38 am

As one of the biggest offenders, I can honestly say that I hold no real malice towards the company or their products. Though the amounts of *unbiased* reviews you can find are sparse. From the ones you can find, their product seems to be of really good quality and significantly less expensive than most competetor's (MSRP). :allbegood:

However, I really don't like their current marketing scheme - They abuse the forum in order to squeeze out more advertising for their product.

The frequent 'The other companies aren't being nice to us' postings are becomming annoying also, but that just seems like another way to get their name out there & perhaps mine some underdog sentiment.

Outside of their underhanded advertising ploys, I really don't have anything negative to say about them.

Trust me, if any other company (including any company who makes products I use/like) pulled the same shenannigans, I'd be just as critical.

Sid sends

jason_ssr
Frequent Poster

Postby jason_ssr » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:55 pm

Well, I have seen that the online culture of this board is to be quite negative, so Im not surprised by any negativity here. I can see why shop owners would show initial concern because of price cuts possibly affecting their livelihood (even though I think it will increase there sales as more people get into it, I understand the initial fear) I can see why brand affiliations would show concern as their pricing scheme will have to be adjusted and a competitive plan will have to be created.

What I dont understand is why kiters would be annoyed by anything they do. Its like some of you want your heads buried in the sand and you dont want to know whats going on. I find it interesting to know how the industry is reacting to them, if they react at all. I find it interesting that mags, brands, and shops even react at all. Im glad Best lets us know publically. Im glad they are on here with real kiters on a daily basis. You guys show so much loyalty to a product, yet dont care to see if the industry is loyal to you. You get 20% off a quiver of brand X and think that they "hooked you up" and you feel loyal. Its a freakin consumer product!! Do you like your companies to keep their distance from their customers? Best has jumped in and speaks to those who matter, you and I. They dont come in here and push "Best vs SS" or Best vs Naish", they come tell us of cost saving deals and shady industry happenings.

Best isnt the first to use models in advertising. big deal.

Here is unbias logic. Our sport is young, but riding boards like ours has been done for over 10 years in wakeboarding. It would seem that someone who has been at the highest level of board riding for 10 years would be a prime source of board performance understanding. i think it desreves a look. EH has made a name in kite building as well. And, to top it off, they are bringing it at a reasonable price. Whats not to like?

When was the last time Naish, North, or Slingshot gave a kite away on a whim on the board? What shops come on here giving discounts and shirts away? Where is their fun spirit?

Some of these companies are just as stoked about kiteboarders as they are about making money. Most are only concerned with the money. I think riders should look at the companies that are stoked on riding. The companies who are threatening to remove sponsorship from this event or that mag are NOT stoked on riding, they are concerned with dollars period.

I just won a Best kite on here, and Im stoked! You know how I found out I won? A friend of mine, who is a rep for Liquid Force Kiteboarding, called me accross the country to tell me I won and how stoked he was. He knew I had a whole in my quiver that I needed to fill. He knows that if I had the money I would be looking at his gear for a good price. he didnt see a possible loss of sale, he saw a rider getting a KITE!! To me its people and business' like that that should get our business, not the "Im gonna boycott if you let Best come" business'.

This should be a community of a bunch of riders stoked on riding, not a soap opera of companies hurting the riders because of fear of proft loss.

Just one guys opinion...

And since a pedigree is required to have an opinion here:

Ive been wakeboarding for 9 years and kiting for over a year. Ive wakeboarded with Shannon a handful of times 5 or 6 years ago. I fly Fuels and an X2 and an ARX. I have a SS board and a Zero Gravity board. I have no kiteboarding sponsors and a handful of wakeboarding sponsors.

Fleetboarder
Rare Poster

Postby Fleetboarder » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:52 pm

So it seems that there really isn't a personal issue with Best at all but rather his marketing skills may need some fine tuning :thumb: .

Well spoken, Jason. I can see you don't give a shit whether or not you fly a SS or a Best, you just love the sport. And that is a good trait to hang on to. As long as you're flying, who cares what your equipment is.

Sid, mate. If the marketing is a problem, hopefully the team at Best will see that they are not doing the right thing and will stop flooding us with their deals. Read enough of these forums and you'll be able to gauge the Best kites for what they are. Give them 6 months or so to crack the market and there will be unbiased views left right and centre.

I notice that the Monkey Kites thread has died off. Is that because the kites are pretty good after all?

Tall poppy syndrome comes to mind.

sid5150
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sid5150 » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:35 am

When all is said and done, I am totally stoked that companies like BEST, MonkeyAir and Revolution (China Kites) are rolling up on the set. Kite prices have become ridiculous ($1500+!) and there seems to be NO price cutting competitions amoung the big boys.

These new companies will bring a lot of new people into the pastime - And probably shake up all of the other companies, causing them to lower their prices. Local shops will probably try a bit harder to win your sales as well.

In the end, the consumer (you & I) really wins. How can you beat that? :thumb:

You're right on the money; I wish BEST the best - There is a real need for BEST & similar companies. However, BEST could do better with its PR peeps. :-? Jess-Man is a barely literate cretin, and gumball is clueless as to ire he generates with his Spam-a-riffic shenannigans. Anyone with a mediocum of marketing skills and a personality that isn't horribly repellant would win them a lot more support on-line.

My answer would be to relegate these guys to shipping and use the most well-spoken BEST girls for all PR functions. I think the response would be very positive.

Have a good one!

Sid sends

Jordanis3r
Frequent Poster

Postby Jordanis3r » Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:43 pm

Have we had any feedback from the other manufacturers? - ie Naish, North, SS, Wipika to say they will drop prices? - maybe readjust their pricing models? free to enter comps for holidays?

I wish Shannon all the best - because he will be getting my hard earned dosh very shortly - I was considering a brace of 2nd hand aero II's - but hey I can buy new cheaper! got to be some sense in that ... oh and I can get 3 for the price of two cmon do the math....

I think it is time for the "big boys" ie the bigger manufacturers to wake up, smell the coffee and give something back to the little guys who do this sport ... ie US! and help people with little cash get into a fantastic sport - they will benefit in the long run - as more kiters will evolve and buy more gear - makes sense?

just my tuppence worth ... feel free to flame ...

Fleetboarder
Rare Poster

Postby Fleetboarder » Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:37 am

Shannon has set the benchmark. Now it's up to the "Big Boys" to come to our cheap party. Do you honestly think that they will??

6 months ago I bought all new gear. SS Fuel 13m, Felix harness, Mystic 137 board. All up, I gave the guy $3000 and got $3 in change back with all my new gear.

Had I have waited those six months, I could still have bought all new gear but have been better off in the pocket.

That is something we have all done. Spent way too much money pursuing a sport which we all love.

I don't compete. I don't have sponsors. I don't kite full time. I work. To be able to save ca$h and still doing something I love requires some serious balancing acts.

I haven't tried any of the gear but am reading the forums for opinions. But, it's like all things. They have good and bad points. I guess it's up to the individual who purchases Shannon's product who will know for sure.

Good on ya, Shannon.

Return to “Kitesurfing”