Yeeha! I just received my BEST kites :)

forum for kitesurfers

WILCO
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Yeeha! I just received my BEST kites :)

Postby WILCO » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:18 pm

NOTE: this is a BEST post, don't proceed if you don't like to read about BEST...

I placed my order at BEST on wednesday the 3th of march...I ordered a 16,12 and 8 nemesis, a best board balsa 130, footstraps/pads/grab handle, fins and heel loops...

In this first package there were a 16,12 and 8 nem, footstraps/pads and the grab handle, t-shirt......the other stuff (Best board balsa, fins and heel loops will follow later)

The goods were sent out of the BEST warehouse last wednesday (17th march) and they arrived about an hour ago this tuesday here in Europe, the Netherlands. So that's just 6 day's pretty good.....

They do a great job packing stuff up at best, since I at first thought it was only one kite! To my relieve there were 3 kites waiting in the package along with some foot straps, pads, a grab handle AND a Best kamikaza t-shirt (Thnx for that gift BEST :lol: )....

The bags where the kites come in are looking good are effective and of good quality. The bags are expendable giving you the option to leave your struts pumped. They also got a grommet at the bottem which serves as a draining hole. Every bag got a size number and kite type label onto it. Every kite bag has a long deep pouch where one could put his bar in...every kite comes with a repair kit (hope I dont need one :wink: ) and with a card on which you can see that they did a quality check.... The 16 and 12 both came with a BIG pump, and the 8 with a small pump which has a very handle tube at the nozle which should make pumping with the small pump somewhat handier.....

As for the kites they do look very good, with enough reinforcements where needed....all stiches are tidy....compared to my Slingshot fuel's i can honestly say that they are build as good as those. Only thing different (what i saw so far) are that the scuff guards are somewhat thinner (thus creating a lighter kite), and the ends of the tubes are of a different cloth...they also have a nice foam backing on the LE to prevent wear from rubbing....they look very well built...but you can only really say something from the durabilty in a year or so from now...

As for the REAL test: flying these babies I will write a review, and post it in this thread as soon as I got the chance to fly them....

Added PART 2: import: tax and duties:

I only can tell how it works in the Netherlands but I'm sure it works the same in most european countries (except the rates would be different)...

Basically you order at BEST and they put the value of the package (the value of what your ordered) on the outside label of the Fedex box...

Before the package leaves the US to be imported by air-freight to Europe (in my case it went to paris) fedex tells the customs office of your country what the value of the package is.

The customs office called me up (they don't do this always) and could tell me that there was a package waiting for me worth ***$ He then declared that I had to pay 19% tax over it (that's the tax for a luxury item in the Netherlands) and 16% import duties :x Luckily they were wrong, they had classified it as Textile :-? Anyways, i believe that the normal rate of import duties for sporting goods is 2,6% in the Netherlands, but somehow he found a category which only was 0,8% :lol: fine by me!

So I had to pay 19% tax and 0,8% import duties over the value.. You just take the value and multiplie it with 0,xx (xx=percentage of tax in your country) and then you multiplie that value again with 0,zz (zz=percentage of import duties over kites in your country)...

The bill for this comes AFTER the package arrives and can take up to 6 weeks to arrive..so DONT smile too early if you think you got away :lol:

BTW does anyone know if you have to pay brokerage fees or any additional fees for that matter, the customs office didn't said so..

To be continued.. :bye:
Last edited by WILCO on Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.

mASO
Frequent Poster

Postby mASO » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:26 pm

I'll also let you guy's know how everything worked with the tax/import duties...as I can understand that the Euro guy's would like to know...

Yes, plz tell us something regarding that! im very interested in their kites but i would like to know about tax/import

flashboarder
Frequent Poster

Postby flashboarder » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:49 pm

Wilco!
Can you let us know more about taxes?
Thanks

Jordanis3r
Frequent Poster

Postby Jordanis3r » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:43 pm

just received my 16m nemesis too-gunan pump it up at home and take some glory shots for u guys ....

Frederik Lind-Bendixen
Rare Poster

Postby Frederik Lind-Bendixen » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:30 pm

Hell oooo!
I just recived my kites as well (not my 16). I ordered 8, 12 and 16 with a 55 cm bar and a 130 balsa board with pads, fins and handel.
So the same as Wilco... The total amount was 2015 $ The tax and other dutys was 427$ (a littel less than I had in mind)
You cant even imagine how good service I have had at Best and Im sure that I will keep my buisness at Best in the furture...
When i unpacked my kites there was 8, 12 and 12. And Alex told my to keep the extra 12 and lent it to freinds. So I have lent it out and they have been amazed over its preformance as well as me... And now my missing 16 is on the way... to great to belive.

I have just had 4 great days with my 12 :D :D :D It ROCKS!!!!

Peace out
Frederik

WILCO
Very Frequent Poster

Postby WILCO » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:26 pm

Yep the service is the BEST too :thumb:

Guy's I've added a bit to the original post about the taxes/import duties..

velns
Medium Poster

Postby velns » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:32 pm

Frederik Lind-Bendixen wrote:
I have just had 4 great days with my 12 :D :D :D It ROCKS!!!!
what water/ air temperatures do you have at this time of the year in Denmark??

just curious.. :wink:

dominique
Rare Poster

Postby dominique » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:16 pm

so you did get the 12 for free???
man thats great 4 kites and a board for les then 2500 euros thats what we can call prices. and now some more about the kite himself???

Frederik Lind-Bendixen
Rare Poster

Postby Frederik Lind-Bendixen » Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:10 am

Yep... Paid for 2 kites got 4... Proberbly the best service I have ever heart about :D :D
We have had a warm week here in Denmark this week... Air, around 5-8 degrees C. Water, around 4 degrees, so almost summer :D Have had my first day without hat...
You can´t even imagine how big wind range the 12 nemi has. I couldent belive it! A few days ago others was on 16 and 17, and I was with my 12 going upwind and doing jumps, great. And tow days ago when the wind picked up, one of my findes couldent hold his Naish 12 V4 ( we are about the same waight and skill level), then the 12 nemi was just perfect... Unbelivebel, but true :D :D
Hope you all will enjoy your Nemi kites...

:D Frederik :D

kiteknight
Medium Poster

Still waiting (5 weeks) for my Best orders to arrive!

Postby kiteknight » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:46 am

Glad you are all having such a wonderful experience with BEST kites. I may be just an isolated case but I have to tell you, I am not having the same wonderful experience with BEST kites. So far the service is not up to standard of an online company (so say the least)!!!
I am still waiting for my orders to come in now five weeks. I was careful to order things that were not back ordered on the web site (that didn't matter).
I must say they have already sent me T-shirts with Best Kite ad on them.
What I don't like is that Best kite has already charged my credit card company yet I am still waiting for the product to arrive.
Right now I am not anxious to place any more orders.

Return to “Kitesurfing”