Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

45kg Beginner - Suggestions on kite size

forum for kitesurfers

Shayla
Rare Poster

45kg Beginner - Suggestions on kite size

Postby Shayla » Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:52 am

Posted this before but don't know where it's gotten to??

Weight: 45-47kgs
Height: appx 160cm

I'm learning to kitesurf on a 8m Naish Toro.
If the kite goes anywhere above 45 degrees in winds 15knots or higher I'm airborn! I'm having trouble body dragging without someone holding the harness. The kite is great to fly but it doesn't seem to like the light winds; it becomes unsteady and underpowered. Maybe all I need to do is work it a bit more in lighter winds - I'll give that another go. All this makes it difficult to get any flying time.

What I want is to go out on my own and not end up risking shooting directly up in the air. I'm extremely frustrated with not having enough confidence up to doing this on my own and I'm also starting to get a little scared of it as well!!

My instructor suggested the BEST Yargas, I spoke with the Best reps - they said the wind range for my weight on this kite will be 12-20.
What do you think?
What other kites would you recommend for a lightweight newbie?
How could I best handle the Toro in light winds?

Thanx for listening to the teary-eyed post. Think I'll also go and chat a little more with my instructor as well... Gotta get myself in out of the water and onto a board!!!

agio
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Favorite Beaches: Barra Grande, Jeri
Style: wave,freestyle,freeride
Gear: NK Evo 2011: 6 + 8m2; NK Fuse 2010: 12m2; NK Rhino 05: 16m2; Trax5 2010
prior kite: globerider sonic 2006, north rhino 2005, takoon waroo 2003, naish R3 2001
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby agio » Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:05 pm

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY wrote: Perhaps a kite that is light n the bar too, like f.one takoon even best.

Boardwise - there is the brunnotti demon of darkness - 33 wide 145 long. and you can get em cheap at the moment too as its too narrow for most.

Best thing to do is listen to Peter. he's the daddy.
phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2300967 :thumb:

zim
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby zim » Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:16 am

it becomes unsteady and underpowered
i weigh 100lbs and that happens to me on 90% of the kites i fly. i have found that mid/high aspect ratio kites like the ss fuel do better in light winds than low aspect like the toro or high aspect like the x3. the worst are the kites that are supposed to feel balanced through the range because what they do is slow the little kites down so they only perform in really high winds. Also using more like a 12 meter kite can help because you dont get the weird totaly out of range feel.

BigKahuna
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby BigKahuna » Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:42 am

Hi Shayla,
I'm learning to kitesurf on a 8m Naish Toro.
I think you're a little confused. I'm guessing you have a -North- Toro 8m.
Weight: 45-47kgs, Height: appx 160cm
My wife is about your size and has the exact same kite as you, I only mention this because I'm real familliar with some of the challenges people your size face.

First off, because of your weight, you're gonna have a hard time kiting in winds over 20 knots. There aren't a lot of options for kites smaller than 8m, and many are real "squirrely" when it starts blowing. On the other hand, when the wind is 10 knots or less, you'll leave heavyweights like me in your dust...

Second, although the Toro 8m was a great kite when it came out in 2002, it has pretty heavy bar pressure for a kite that size. My wife hates hers, but it gets her out when the wind is over 15 mph. Less than that, she flies her favorite kite, a Rhino II 12m.

What you need to find are small kites that fly well at the bottom of their wind range. Rhino II's are good, I know several lightweights that fly Fuels and like them.

Another option is the Peter Lynn Bomba, a -super- stable kite and very light bar pressure compared to most LEI's... perfect lightweight beginner's kite.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Kolahi
Frequent Poster

Postby Kolahi » Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:47 am

yea i was just thinking the same thing Paul, like a G10 or G2-9 or G2-11,
or even better a B-10.5

Shayla
Rare Poster

Postby Shayla » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:35 pm

Thanks guys for the responses. This was great feedback from all ends and BigKahuna I totally appreciate you're advice and have definitely taken it on board.

I just cant afford a fuel at this stage but I've been checking out reviews for the Best kites and found Toby's one on the 13.5 Yarga. It looks promising and being broke I've gone and purchased the 5m Yarga in hope that it will perform simmilarly to what Toby had found with the 13.5m.

My husband and I are going on a Kiteboarding/Honeymoon trip to Fiji so hopefully there will be some serious improvement in my performance (actually I'm just hoping to get on the board at this stage).

With my limited lingo I'll get back to you on how the Yarga goes in a few weeks. It will probably be in the lines of "It Flys" - don't think I'll be "boosting" any air just yet (aside from the usual performance that is) but if I get along on my own I will be stoked :D

Cheers and thanks again for the feedback :bye:

Just on the service I've recieved from Best and Kitepower - Just great!! Couldn't ask for anything better.

Return to “Kitesurfing”