Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Riding spots in Kill Devil Hills/Nags Head/Kittly Hawk...NC

Forum for kitesurfers
toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com
Has thanked: 0

Riding spots in Kill Devil Hills/Nags Head/Kittly Hawk...NC

Postby toyletbowl » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:18 am

Myself and 2 other guys are coming from WI to Cape Hatteras this Wednesday and arriving mid afternoon from a long ass drive. The winds look to be from the SE or S in the afternoon. I'm very familiar with riding spots South towards Waves, Rodanthe on towards Buxton.

If it's SE, it will be slightly offshore down South farther, so we're looking for some good spots around Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills, etc that may be better in a SE or South wind 15-20. Only one of us can stay upwind, so a place that is easy to launch and get back to easily would be preferred. Sound side....

If the winds clock SW, no problems....

buttercutter
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby buttercutter » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:36 am

Last time I drove through there I saw a couple kites up right by the KFC restaurant in Nags Head.

gipseysurfer
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

NAGS HEAD

Postby gipseysurfer » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:32 pm

there are 2 soundside spots in nags head once you pass the wright memorial. they are windmill point and soundside drive. i have only kited windmill point on a northwest, i believe on a south east the wind will be gusty and not as clean as it will be travelling over land. also bear in mind on all soundside spots in that wind direction exept maybe frisco woods the wind will be side off. not good for your friend who can't stay upwind or for the more experienced riders if they get stuck in a deep channel or deeper sections of the sound.
i would stop in at kitty hawk kites and ask them if there are any spots to suit the wind direction, speed and your skill level.
if worse comes to worse drive the extra 40mins. to waves and kite at Barton's place hatteras island windsurf. he has a great grassy launch and is super chill bout kiters.

good luck and safe riding!

its been ripping 30 knots the last few days there,guys have been getting lit on 9's and 7's.

barry

Return to “Kitesurfing”