Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

advice on intro LF package please.

Forum for kitesurfers
Tad Slippy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

advice on intro LF package please.

Postby Tad Slippy » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:13 pm

Hello all... i've read just about every page on this forum trying to get as much info as possible. I'm ready to buy my first big kite and would love any insight you have. I'm a college student in NW Florida and don't have a lot of cash. I was looking to spend between $500-$700 for some older or possibly used gear as i'm sure my first kite will take a beating. I'm leaning toward the new Liquid Force switch package at http://www.realkiteboarding.com.
"Liquid Force Flight Kite 12m (16m flat) with Liquid Force control bar and Liquid Force Switch 165cm kiteboard complete with LF Sandal bindings"
all for $499 US
I'm guessing the kite is a 2001-02? from what i've read here.
I'm hoping that this set up would allow me to get some basic gear and a feel for the sport without having to tak out a loan :).. also at thsi price i can get mystarter gear and take a lesson ($180 for 3 hours) while i'm wating for it to arrive.
Does anyone have any experience with realkiteboarding.com?
Is the gear worth $499 to get me started, it's seems almost to cheap to be true?.. I figure I can shell out more for a real setup when i'm ready.

I am ~205lbs and will be flying in 10-15knt winds on the beach or sound. I've also had lots of experience with 2 handed kites, have spent a full weekend with an Airush 2m trainer and feel cumfortable enough with basic control, I have grown up sailing and racing small boats (Hobie 16, Laser, Sunfish, 420)most of my life on small boats.

one last thing.. i know i'm no where near needing a harness yet but does anyone know if it's possible to use my super nice seat harness from the hobie for kiting?
Any adivce, or suggestions appreciated thanks - Jon

stonezone
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby stonezone » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:23 pm

contact daryl@oceanextremesports.com he has a shop in st augistine and can probably get you a better/newer kite for a similar price. those old lf kites, 2001 if i am correct, have bladder problems (thin) and no dacron. The wont last and you wont be able to resel them. go for a newer LF, they arent much more.

sz

Dax
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dax » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:16 pm

I agree with sz... it may seem like a good deal now, but you are going to outgrow that gear pretty quickly. Also that kite is pretty big for a starter, even if you think you're going to be out in light wind, you should probably start with a 12m (flat sizing). Big kites can be a handful, especially when you are just learning.

Better to go with used gear thats newer, then old gear thats never been used. I would try to find a board around the 140-150cm range, and a 2003 or newer kite. Unless you are okay with the idea of outgrowing your gear as soon as you are waterstarting.

Tad Slippy
Rare Poster

Postby Tad Slippy » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:46 am

Thanks for the info guys... I keep leaning toward te heavier kite because i'm a little bit heavy myself... and don't want to outgrow the kite too fast. I'm probally getting ahead of myself. I've been looking at a new 2003 Cabrhina Access 12m complete quad line setup for $625. Smaller kite, but probally best for learning, and from what I've read people seem to want a 12m around anway. Figure I'll get a board after I've gotten comfortable with the kite.
Any comments on the Access 12m? reviews seem to say it is a suprisingly stable kite. - thanks again - Jon

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:27 am

not stable or good in light gusty winds in my experience. I tried for hours to teach a student on this kite, with not much luck. He did much better with my 15.5 titan, i am not plugging for flysurfer, just a statement of fact. Stable inflatables in my experience include globeriders, slingshot fuels, cabrinha CO2.

titanutah
Rare Poster

go for something newer

Postby titanutah » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:00 am

the Cabrinha Access is a great kite. If you can get a Co2 I would go for it. 03' & 04' Cabrinha's are top notch. I fly Black Tips myself, but the Co2 is a sweet kite. The Access is too, but the Co2 will probably keep you happier longer, especially if you get out kiting a lot and catch on quick(and dont trash your kite of course). You sound like you have your head on strait, so I'm betting you'll be alright. The Access is a die hard beginners kite. Great for learning on. You'll be happy with either. Check in with my friend Dave Loop at H2Air(http://www.h2air.com). Last time I was in the shop he had a couple of 03' 12 meter Access kites on hand. Might even have a Co2. He'll hook you up with a sweet deal. If you can get an 04 Recon, go for it, but I'm bettin you can pick up an 03 kite and board for the same price. He's got Slingshot too, so might be worth checking into a Fuel too. They are also good kites.

Return to “Kitesurfing”