Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Sequenced jump shots - How are the images captured?

forum for kitesurfers

ryansurf1
Very Frequent Poster

Sequenced jump shots - How are the images captured?

Postby ryansurf1 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:34 pm

Excuse the photographic technology ignorance. How are the sequenced action shots produced? In my opinion the best photos are the ones that show a big move sequenced as you often see them. The background remains the same, usually at the time of jump, than several images show the chronology of the move/jump. How is this produced? Is it a camera function? Is it multiple images superimposed on the background? Is it an after camera effect, like a software manipulation?

What is the equipment expense? Is this something that the average/intermediate camera junky or photographic enthusiast would have? Another question is what type of lense(s) is required for somebody to get good shots from the beach? Kiter being 100 ft to 100 +yds away?

I ask as I was thinking of hiring a photographer to shoot some quality images of me and my kite brethren at a local launch (South Florida, anyone?). You know, fuel the stoke, feed my ego (not that big). Get a couple good pics just because.

I was at a local launch a few years ago and just happened to be kiting where a girl was shooting video with a digital camera. I asked her to shoot footage, which she did for about an hour. She was with this group of ‘digital nomads’ as they called themselves. They had some serious equipment on a RV for broadcasting internet radio. They were modern day hippies just touring the U.S. Anyway, she edited the footage and produced a 5 minute video for a small fee. It turned out pretty good and I still watch it occasionally (puts a smile on when there is no wind). This is from a couple years ago and my skills and ‘bag o’ tricks has increased, so I would like some good stills.

Ryan

PierreKite
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby PierreKite » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:07 pm

it's very easy !
in fact you need a digital camera with a burst mod, 5 to 10 pictures in burst!

after, with photoshop you need "to stick" the pictures

here a sample done quickly:

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:32 pm

Hello Ryan,

Where do you normally ride in S. Fla.? I am assembling several dozen sequence shots currently from Islamorada and KiteForGirls. If you aren't too far away, I might be able to catch you guys on the water when the wind is on.

Vari Slides Out at VG '03

ryansurf1
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ryansurf1 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:16 pm

Pierre.....yeahhhh, thats what i am talking about. Images are crisp, clear, good color. What about at a distance, do you have enough zoom for the same clarity? I will have to consider upgrading my digital camera to one that has 'burst' do the mid range digitals have that feature? Can you set the time between shots in the 'burst' mode.

RickI....during the week most often at Palm Beach Island (Charlies Crab), sometimes Jupiter (double roads), occasionaly Boynton (Hammock Park?) or Lake Worth (Pier). Most of the time on the weekend with a crew at Pomapno (16th Street), just south of the lighthouse? Where are your normal launches? Yes, maybe we could hook up sometime before summer sets. It is amazing that there is NO scene between Boynton and Jupiter. I now am starting to see a few (3) guys at my Palm Beach launch. You know Chris and his buddies, right?

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:24 pm

ryansurf1 wrote: RickI....during the week most often at Palm Beach Island (Charlies Crab), sometimes Jupiter (double roads), occasionaly Boynton (Hammock Park?) or Lake Worth (Pier). Most of the time on the weekend with a crew at Pomapno (16th Street), just south of the lighthouse? Where are your normal launches? Yes, maybe we could hook up sometime before summer sets. It is amazing that there is NO scene between Boynton and Jupiter. I now am starting to see a few (3) guys at my Palm Beach launch. You know Chris and his buddies, right?
I usually ride off of Boca Raton or sometimes these days off Delray after work. Interestingly enough, Lake Worth seems have 3 to 5 mph higher winds than any other area in mainland SE Florida. So, it is not a bad launch from that perspective. I will try to remember to pack a camera when I travel further north. You might checkout Chris Terry's Nikon, it is a nice D1 that may deliver what you are looking for, for a price of course! I try to make do with the lesser but also less costly Nikon Coolpix 5700 and Olympus 5060 in a housing.

Here is one that I just finished from Islamorada
Full size: http://gallery.kiteforum.com/albums/alb ... Q_33_s.jpg

ryansurf1
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ryansurf1 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:53 pm

I don't launch often at Lake Worth anymore, since they pumped the beach at Palm Beach. By the LW pier north or south is a rather sketchy launch. I never feel comfortable, so try to avoid it, plus you know the locals reputation. You know i really don't put a lot of confidence in that wind sensor on the pier (?) I am confident it is 3 mph high. That is by 'feel' standing at the beach, plus i see no geographical reason why it would be higher.

As for the camera tips, thanks. I will talk to Chris. The sequence picture as you show is what i am looking for.

Just got a call from a friend. We are going to get in the water at Lake Mangonia ? I think it is called. WNW 18-23. We checked it yesterday, looks good. Later...

mergulhao
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002

Postby mergulhao » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:04 pm

digital camera with a burst mod, 5 to 10 pictures
Which is the mark of your digital camera?

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:07 pm

ryansurf1 wrote:I don't launch often at Lake Worth anymore, since they pumped the beach at Palm Beach. By the LW pier north or south is a rather sketchy launch. I never feel comfortable, so try to avoid it, plus you know the locals reputation. You know i really don't put a lot of confidence in that wind sensor on the pier (?) I am confident it is 3 mph high. That is by 'feel' standing at the beach, plus i see no geographical reason why it would be higher.

As for the camera tips, thanks. I will talk to Chris. The sequence picture as you show is what i am looking for.

Just got a call from a friend. We are going to get in the water at Lake Mangonia ? I think it is called. WNW 18-23. We checked it yesterday, looks good. Later...
That is what I had heard about LW too but checked it with a hand held anenometer and the sensors were accurate at least at that time. The sequence shot and most of the other sequences that I have done were taken with the Nikon Coolpix 5700 and then processed with Photoshop and some other applications.

Lake Mangonia is fairly good in stronger NW winds but is HIGHLY technical (i.e. hazardous) for kite launch given the tight, obstructed launch area. It has been a popular NW wind launch for windsurfers for a long time. It would be good to try to do an assisted launch a bit to the south of the boat ramp and away from all the signs, light posts, windsurfers and cars with the kite launched from the water although it becomes a bit too deep to do this not too far from shore. Beyond that, the number of kiters that can launch and land there is very limited. So have fun but be careful.

PierreKite
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby PierreKite » Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:01 am

ryansurf1 wrote:Pierre.....yeahhhh, thats what i am talking about. Images are crisp, clear, good color. What about at a distance, do you have enough zoom for the same clarity? I will have to consider upgrading my digital camera to one that has 'burst' do the mid range digitals have that feature? Can you set the time between shots in the 'burst' mode.

RickI....during the week most often at Palm Beach Island (Charlies Crab), sometimes Jupiter (double roads), occasionaly Boynton (Hammock Park?) or Lake Worth (Pier). Most of the time on the weekend with a crew at Pomapno (16th Street), just south of the lighthouse? Where are your normal launches? Yes, maybe we could hook up sometime before summer sets. It is amazing that there is NO scene between Boynton and Jupiter. I now am starting to see a few (3) guys at my Palm Beach launch. You know Chris and his buddies, right?

Ryan, if you have enough money, i advice you the Eos 10 D with two pair of lenses (telezoom and wide angle) (15 - 80 mm) and (80- 400 mm)

Otherwise Digital Camera like the Power Shot pro1 of canon as a very good burst ( at max. 2.5 pics/sec and 6 pictures at same time)

and don't forget to buy an aquapac or something like this to protect the camera against the water !

bye bye

Pierre

RickI: beautiful photos !! and very nice spot ;)

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:57 pm

Hello Pierre,

Your images have excellent resolution and color! What is the approximate file size for the individual component images? I typically shoot in "normal" mode for the Internet resulting in a base file size of around 1 megabyte for individual images. Some sequence shots go well over 10 megabytes. Then you have to do some shrinking in Photoshop of course before uploading to the Internet. I almost never shoot in max resolution mode (resulting in 14 megabyte individual image file sizes), because of handling issues on the computer and Internet.

There are quite a few more shots of the launch in Islamorada from last year at:

phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2300725

I am still working on the Photoshop blending so please excuse the blemishes in the assembled images.

Return to “Kitesurfing”