All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Powerfoil 5.0 as a trainer?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:10 pm 
Rare Poster

I've been looking at ordering my first kite for a few weeks now.. waiting for the right deal to come along. Either a new yarga 13.5 or 16.5. or some used or 2003 gear (if i can still find any) as my budget is tiny.

My parents own a toy store and to my surprise i found some traction kites in one of their catalogs that i can have at cost( ~$150). I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these. I'm just looking for something cheap to learn/play with before making the leap to a $700+ purchase.
It's a Powerfoil 5.0 quadline with a bar and 300lb spectra lines.

http://www.flexifoil.co.uk/community/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4236

I think this is the same brand i've ssen in a 4.0m 2 line setup with handles at a local shop as a trainer. Just wondering if anyone knows if the quadline setup is similiar to the what i'll find on the "real" kites.

thanks - Jon

also.. anyone know if there is still a delay when odering kites from Best, or have they caught up with orders yet.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:22 pm 
Frequent Poster

well, for just learning to fly, they are ok. They dont really fly that well and dont make much power at all. They are sluggish to control. I would go with one of the slingshot trainers. They fly very well and are very responsive. Plus they are fun to have after your training for riding with a skateboard or mountain board etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:39 pm 
Medium Poster

The slingshots are great but they will be twice as expensive. the power foil 4.0 looks good although it has two lines. It is probably the closest kite to a b3 not made by slingshot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:01 pm 
Medium Poster

Just a note on the slingys.
I have a b2 that I have many hours on but in all honesty its a bitch to get launched on your own unless you have a very steady stable wind...

Having said that I did manage to kite skateboard a few blocks with it yesterday... :thumb:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:06 am 
Very Frequent Poster

A 5.0 meter foil can be a very powerful kite. It looks like it is a four line kite (Quadline) so you should be able to control the power, to some extent. $150 sounds like a great bargain for that big of a kite but be real careful with it. For the first several hours I recommend flying it in less than 12 mph wind and don't steer it fast.

dt

Post subject: Power Foil 5.0
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:05 pm 
Frequent Poster

Hey, I actually know about this one.

I got that exact power foil kite off ebay about a year ago.
The kite has 4 lines, but trying to fly it with the break lines attached proved unsuccessful for me.
Even with no pressure on the rear lines the kite would just float and do a pinwheel non powered spin and get tangled and crash

After I detached the rear lines I found the kite flew decent and I proceeded to chop off the rear bridle. I flew this kite on the beach for a couple months. I actually did some downwind feet skiing on the sand with the Go Fly a Kite 5.0 power foil.

Now, that being said, the kite is now junk to me. I did fly the kite with friends as a trainer, and we ended up stalling it in the water a couple of times in lighter winds. I think flying it wet actually stretched the kite out and now it does not handle any kind of wind well at all. In light wind it will overfly and crumple and fall. In heavy wind it is very unstable and has an unpredictable surging pull, both these traits were not the case before it got wet..

I actually have a B-5 Slingshot also which I picked up about a week or two after the Power Foil. The Slingshot is far superior in handling gusts and all around flying and durability. The B-5 can handle very gusty winds somewhat successfully and has a much more stable pull. If you can get a slingshot for under 400
I would definately say you will get better use out of it and it will last longer than the Power Foil.

Also, the size of the 5.0 Power foil is a bit smaller than the Slingshot B-5.
I'd say it is about 1 foot shoorter in wing span and about 1 foot narrower.

-Noah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:32 pm 
Medium Poster

I have never owned one of those kites... but I met a guy whose brother knew a guy whose cousin's husband's uncle had one... sorry... seriously though, I met a guy on the beach who had just purchased one, and was helping him set it up, as he had no clue what he was doing... my impressions were that it did fly horribly on the bar, I set it up on my spare set of handles to test it and it flew much better, so I added some extra line to the rear brake lines (so that it had considerable droop in the brake lines) and it flew a little better on the bar after that. Even after all of that though I found that it had minimal power... my JoJo 3.5m foil had far more power and handled gusts and lulls quite alot better, all the while being considerably faster... I would actually compare the power of this kite to most other 2 - 3m kites, but it doesnt turn as quickly as the smaller kites, it needs to be flown on handles to turn with any speed... though even then it is kinda slow...

IMO I would save your money, and try to find a small used foil or even a new trainer... you'd be far happier and you should be able to learn something about the sport, instead of just getting frustrated...

Post subject: Second thought
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:13 pm 
Frequent Poster

Jon, I had a second thought.

The 5.0 Power Foil, is a cheap kite, and could be used as a serious traction kite, when you are comfortable with flying.

The problem is, the kite comes with a hokey aluminum bar with no leaders or safety system. I immediately threw it aside and used the slingshot bar with the Sure-Fire wrist release. For the amount of power the kite can produce, the stock bar seems pretty flimsy, if not dangerous.
I would have to say getting 5.0 with the bar, is not a great idea unless you are going to fly it on a real Kitesurf bar.

For training purposes you might as well get a smaller kite and save your money for the inflatables. Flying with handles is probably safer than that 5.0 stock bar. There is a small kite called the T-Foil which would probably cost you 25-30 bucks and it comes with a video I think.

-Noah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:28 am 
Frequent Poster

i learned on airush's 2m trainer...and still use it to pull me on my skateboard. I remember seeing the tfoil on ebay awhile ago...and i think that its priced realy cheap so u might wana check it out.

[ 9 posts ]