Pulley Bar?

forum for kitesurfers

Skooner Jr.
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Pulley Bar?

Postby Skooner Jr. » Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:32 am

What is the pros & cons of a pulley bar? Can u use one with a 4 line kite?

Benji
Medium Poster

pulley

Postby Benji » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:33 am

The pulley bar ads two meters to your original kite size so if your riding a 16 you will be getting the same power as a 18. they also turn a lot faster. but no sheeting out, which means using your board edge in the gusts.

Skooner Jr.
Frequent Poster

Postby Skooner Jr. » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:39 am

How does that work? I noticed their was no de-power loop but increasing kite power seems weird to me?

Benji
Medium Poster

bar

Postby Benji » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:47 am

The bar increases power. Depends on how YOU set it up. If you put a tiny little bit of flareout.and it holds that flare out with out the depower the kite holds that flareout which will make that kite that 2 meters powerful

Skooner Jr.
Frequent Poster

Postby Skooner Jr. » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:52 am

I can setup my current bar so it has flare out at max power if I set the front lines a little to long. It obviously stops flaring when I sheet out but if I'm in the solid loop it flares out a tad.

Kolahi
Frequent Poster

Postby Kolahi » Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:29 am

ok dude i really dont understand how it adds 2m of power thats pretty rediculous sounding to me, but how it goes is that it increasing the turning speed of the kite(all 4lines), by pulling on the frontlines also. So pretty much on a standard bar your front lines are fixed, and youre just yanking on your break lines, on a pulley bar it causes the front lines to distort too, so you get more turning speed. As far as extra power, i really dont know people say you can go on a size smaller kite, but to me the kite just feels faster, not more powerful, ofcourse you can make it so its like riding a fixed loop so you get max power also, but as far as surface area of kite exposed to wind its the same.

Pretty much the way it goes is that a pulley bar that is 50cm long will turn supposedly as fast as a bar that is 2x its size.

kitebored
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitebored » Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:42 am

ok when people use pulley bars they usually ride smaller kites for 2 reasons.

1. there's no chickenloop so you can't sheet out in gusts. Getting overpowered becomes more of a possibility so you ride a size smaller

2. people often use them for riding waves, and waves give you apparent wind, so wave riders usually ride smaller kites.

the bar makes your kite turn faster, but doesn't make it 2m or 34m or 453m bigger. That's just misinformation.

You can still have a power strap to trim your kite, but you just don't have the immediate depower that a chicken loop offers.

Return to “Kitesurfing”