bar length

Forum for kitesurfers
'caneman
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

bar length

Postby 'caneman » Sat May 15, 2004 5:20 pm

is bar length completly personal/ does it affect how you ride? like long br easier control of the kite and shorter less control but better for tricks?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat May 15, 2004 7:28 pm

the longer the faster the turning of the kite will be (can also be changed by shorter or longer flying lines).

It is also a personal decision, since if you mainly grab with two hands it shouldn't be too small, since the wider your shoulders the more it can hurt in your hands with a smaller bar.

I use for all kites a 55cm bar. But soon I have a new bar where it has 52-55-58 cm (one bar with 3 lenght options).

'caneman
Medium Poster

Postby 'caneman » Sat May 15, 2004 7:49 pm

so having 50" shoulders i shoulod go with a 55-65 bar?

ox
Medium Poster

Postby ox » Sun May 16, 2004 5:03 am

Toby,
What's the biggest kite that you fly on the 55cm bar.
I've been thinking of a 50cm for a 16 amp and below.

:D

sturds
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby sturds » Sun May 16, 2004 6:20 am

it really depends on your kite, and riding style, ive got a best nemy 10 and nemy 14. i'm really fussy about bars atm i'd like to use a 45cm bar all the time but my 14 doesn't quite turn fast enough for kiteloops and getting a quick enough direction change for super huge boost, where as if i use a 55 its perfect for boosting and looping but is'nt as stable for no whip tricks, also have to consider bar in relation to line length . - after all that ive personally decided im probably going hack the bar down to a 50cm for my current gear.... you just have to experiment and find whats right for you and your kit i'm afraid...

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Re: bar length

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Sun May 16, 2004 6:39 am

'caneman wrote:is bar length completly personal/ does it affect how you ride? like long br easier control of the kite and shorter less control but better for tricks?
Your kite can only turn as tight as the kite design allows.
Bar length is all about personal preference, leverage, your strength, and how much line needs to pulled in to make your kite turn as tight as it can.
If you have a fast flying, tight turning kite that does not need much line movement to make it turn, then you can use a shorter bar on that style of kite. The reverse is true too.

You need to keep in mind that the further the kite is sheeted out the more bar movement will be needed to turn the kite, because as you sheet out you increase the length of thr rear, steering lines. So if you like to ride with lots of depower, don't go for a really short bar.

Pulley bars can be shorter because they allow the font lines to be pulled a bit, which helps to turn a less tight turning kite. If there are no stopped knots on the pulley line, then the kite will tend to keep turning once a turn is initiated. Some feel for where the kite is will be lost, as you are not connected to the front lines, because the front lines are isolated from you via the pulley line. You can get used to it and be very good with kite control, but you will find it difficult to switch from chicken loop style bar to pulley bar.

Some people seem obsessed with using a bar that is no longer than a wakeboard tow handle. :o

Hope that helps.

windshreder
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby windshreder » Sun May 16, 2004 7:11 am

Nice informative post Steve :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Thanks.....

Return to “Kitesurfing”