Forum for kitesurfers
alguaro
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wedding Ring???

Postby alguaro » Wed May 26, 2004 5:08 am

Getting in married in less than two weeks and will start wearing a wedding ring.

What do you married guys do with your wedding rings when you are kiting? Take them off or leave them on? I mostly kite in relatively cold water and I am worried that it could fall off.

Has anyone lost a wedding ring kiting or windsurfing??

Any info would be great. Thanks!

'caneman
Medium Poster

Postby 'caneman » Wed May 26, 2004 5:19 am

i would say take it off just from the sports i have played in the past. Better to not have to worry about losing it/ mashing a finger good and have it cut off. my two cents though

blancoh2o
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foils and surfboards

Wedding ring?

Postby blancoh2o » Wed May 26, 2004 5:32 am

I have been married 15 years and still NEVER wear a ring. They are dangerous. Imagine something snagging it and taking your skin off like a glove. OUCH! :(

I know that I am married and my wife knows that I am married, that is all that matters.

Be safe, save the ring for special occasions.

girl
Rare Poster

Postby girl » Wed May 26, 2004 5:50 am

I'm pretty sure I lost mine kiteboarding - cold water, shrivelled fingers..but my husband never wears one, and he wasn't worried and so neither am I. Also, when I did wear it I used to get a callous under it where the bar pinches the skin in a bit.

The only time I miss my wedding ring is in slightly oppresive countries....and I've got a different finger to deal with those sorts of bigots.

Anyway..message - take ring off in water

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Wed May 26, 2004 7:50 am

don't wear it kitesurfing.... lose it & you're in TROUBLE :(

leave it in the car.... just remember to put it on again, otherwise, your dearly beloved's imagination will run riot :-?

Good luck for THE DAY... trust you are going to a decent kitesurf location for Honeymoon :thumb:

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Wed May 26, 2004 9:18 am

decent kitesurf-location?

marriage -> honeymoon -> kitesurfing -> divorce?

be careful on the new wife ;-)

best wishes and yes, take your ring off.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Wed May 26, 2004 9:29 am

murdoc... you got it all wrong mate..

you got to stick by your guns - managed 1 to 2 hours a day.... aye kitesurfing that is... in North Queensland (great spot)...

and she's still talking to me after a year :thumb:

Maris
Medium Poster

Postby Maris » Wed May 26, 2004 9:55 am

Never kite with ring.
Take it off befor kiting or going to kite spot.
And put it on again after kiting or beter when you leave kiting spot.
Loosing rings on the beach is moust common place.
Beeach is a reall gold mine on early morning if you have a metal detector.

tweekster
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tweekster » Wed May 26, 2004 10:19 am

i lost my original one surfing. went to bali. came back with a bad case of bali belly. lost 15 lbs in a matter of 2 weeks. lost it surfing. $1700.

i lost the replacement kiting earlier this year. ate it in shallow water. my hand hit the reef. didn't realize it was gone until several hours later. guess i was too busy nursing the gash on my hand. $800.

the wife insists i get a replacement...for the replacement. so far that replacement is a $12 sterling silver band.

moral of the story? leave the ring at home or get a cheap replacement to wear when you are in doubt.

Shamikaze
Medium Poster

Postby Shamikaze » Wed May 26, 2004 10:36 am

I always take my wedding & engagement ring off for any sport I do. I can loose it or I can hurt myself greatly because of it and I am looking for neither....

Decent kite-surf location : Rhodes, no doubt in my mind...

I went to Rhodes for my honeymoon last year, stayed in the Miramare Hotel in Ixia

Wonderfull place.

My advice : Rent a motor-bike for the whole period you are over there and tour the island in the morning. Apart from that also plan 2 full day-trips. This way you do get to spend a lot of time with your wife and after the morning-trip you can be on the water by 15:00 and surf for 2 - 3 hrs and then go back to the swimming pool have a dip in it with her and go off for dinner.

We were there 20 days and I was 17 of them on the water. Learned a lot of kite-control and transitions heel- & toeside as well as single & double forward & backloop transitions. Only kites that you'll need over there are a 16 and a 12 or your closest matches to that. No need for a wetsuit. Shorts & lycra will do the trick just fine...

That's what I did and we both loved it. Maybe I am just fortunate to have such a good & understanding wife.

Best whishes & congratz with the marriage...

GReetz,

S.

Return to “Kitesurfing”