Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed May 26, 2004 3:30 pm

it is no shame to make money with this sport. Whatever you work for or with, you should earn money. No one wants to work for free if it reaches a certain point.

But the IKO stands in my opinion for a safer sport or at least a safe access to it. So they are seen as idol for many out there.
Whatever marketing reason (I assume they got paid by the brand in that picture) it is not worth selling their souls, that's what it looks like with that picture.
We are living in 2004, so you can go to the beach, take a digicam, make a shot and send it via e-mail to IKO, all with a safety, helmet and vest.
It is simle and shows every rider and newbee, that IKO cares about the sport and its future. Simple. This cover is just like a "I love you" to everyone fighting for the sport to be safer and trying to save lives and access.

Which association cares and is willing to do anything for the sport? That's the one we should support.

Greets
Toby

Buntt
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Buntt » Wed May 26, 2004 3:46 pm

Ever since i did my kitesurfing course at Hayling Island, South England, i have had doubts about the the standard of IKO run courses. Not wanting to taint every IKO school out there with the same brush, but i now realise the level of teaching i experienced was of a very poor standard.

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Re: IKO for safety?

Postby PAFF » Wed May 26, 2004 3:46 pm

Toby wrote:I nor a helmet or impact vest.

Is this acceptable from an organisation which promotes or stands for safe instructions and riding?

Not for me. I think it is a shame.
Any rep around who could take a stand?

Greets
Toby
The safety leash is, an should be starndard..

But PLEACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get the F... out off my life, an let ME deside if i will wear a Helmet or impact vest...

Pleace........ Go away... So I can do too myself what i want. And whith a safety leash on, im in NO WAY i danger to you, or anybody..

Ismo
Medium Poster

Postby Ismo » Wed May 26, 2004 4:29 pm

better picture of Visions frontpage is in e-journal ( http://www.ikorg.com/news_ejournal.php?menu_id=4 ) and that journal too is really funny :-)

Why they say that ( http://www.ikorg.com/keep_it_safe.php?menu_id=2 ):

8. Always wear a helmet, a life jacket, a harness, and a wet suit.

and in pictures in that e-journal is only few pics with helmet!

Who will believe anything they say about safety? or any other thing?

I believe that they just want make money, they don't care about safety at all. And that's really sad :-(

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Wed May 26, 2004 4:39 pm

Paff: relax.
I don't care whatever you or anyone else wear to protect yourself, as long as others are protected. This is everyones own judgement.
But IKO plays a big role in teaching in a safe way. They even want all IKO intructors to wear helmets and vests during teaching and during off time.
So understand the doubts this title of a book brings with it, if they, who should be the primary once, publish their book with a picture like this.

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Wed May 26, 2004 6:28 pm

Toby wrote:Paff: relax.
I don't care whatever you or anyone else wear to protect yourself, as long as others are protected. This is everyones own judgement.
But IKO plays a big role in teaching in a safe way. They even want all IKO intructors to wear helmets and vests during teaching and during off time.
So understand the doubts this title of a book brings with it, if they, who should be the primary once, publish their book with a picture like this.
Hi Toby,
First off let me say I'm all for whatever promotes awareness, nobody likes to see people get injured.

My veiws on teching mills remains unchanged, kite flying is not something you can promote unless you are prepared to see it through.

My objection is these Mills take-on anybody with cash, regardless of the situation, if you give a newly wed couple the one hour safety speech and 2 hours with a trainer kite and kiss them good-bye, you've not done them a service.

You made your money sure you told them how to rig, you sugested they keep a weather eye, you've told them how to self rescue, but you also cut them loose, with just enough knowledge to give them the idea they know how it all works.

Yeah they paid for this and they learned what's up.

Now their home the 16 arrives in the mail, they take it to their beach, rig it up and...
Right

That's what I don't like about teaching Mills

This is my opinion,
That's what I think about it.
fokiten

tux
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lignano
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara CE BR
Style: wave
Gear: Naish Helix Limited '09 9 North rebel '09 9; vegas '08 9 , rhino '07 14
John Amundson Pro model '08 Hydro '08

re

Postby tux » Wed May 26, 2004 6:43 pm

...In my opinion if someone should decide to wear or not helmet and safety sistems only by a pic on a newspaper, it is better for him to continue playng tennis or golf. I've downloaded and read recently the IKO ITC instructor manual, and I think IKO take security in great consideration, for example if you want to join an Iko instructor course you must have a medical first aid certification, something that miss on other certifications (here in Italy) .
Tux

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Wed May 26, 2004 6:48 pm

fo, you are completly right.
That is a problem.
How can we solve it?
Maybe IKO or the instructor or whoever should give out the book for free with a course.
e.g. that could be a positive thing for BEST if they give out a free copy with every kite purchase to newbees (or anyone). Or maybe an instructional DVD.
How about a list of relevant websites with every kite for the newbee to read more about risks and tps to avoid problems and accidents?

Or a license without you can't buy a kite? But then we are back to "organistaions=businesses" who give out licnses as long as someone pays.

What to do?

Greets
Toby

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Wed May 26, 2004 7:01 pm

Toby wrote:fo, you are completly right.
That is a problem.
How can we solve it?
Maybe IKO or the instructor or whoever should give out the book for free with a course.
e.g. that could be a positive thing for BEST if they give out a free copy with every kite purchase to newbees (or anyone). Or maybe an instructional DVD.
How about a list of relevant websites with every kite for the newbee to read more about risks and tps to avoid problems and accidents?

Or a license without you can't buy a kite? But then we are back to "organistaions=businesses" who give out licnses as long as someone pays.

What to do?

Greets
Toby
Well Toby,
I suggest and I do skip all the talk and hook the interested party up with a full-size kite in fair wind and let the kite do the safety instruction :o

No school will do this, they want the protection (of trainner kites) and the slow max paid hours approach (hey it's a bussiness) you can't blame them but (I 8) can).

This direct approach of mine solves all the attention problems, they listen good after a little ass whoopin.

That's how I think it should be done, but I do it for free, for freinds that's the rub.

I don't have the answers Toby I wish I did.
fokiten

tux
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lignano
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara CE BR
Style: wave
Gear: Naish Helix Limited '09 9 North rebel '09 9; vegas '08 9 , rhino '07 14
John Amundson Pro model '08 Hydro '08

re

Postby tux » Wed May 26, 2004 7:04 pm

...Toby, when you buy a new car did they give you a little book called ''how to drive''?
I think it is in the normal sense to know if you whant to drive a car you have to go to driving school. It is obvious there will be some self-teacher, but we can't resolve all the trouble in the world, every seller should reccomend to customer to follow a good kiting course.
IMO tux

Return to “Kitesurfing”