Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

aero or boxer

forum for kitesurfers

MikeC
Rare Poster

aero or boxer

Postby MikeC » Sun May 30, 2004 12:27 am

:bye: everybody..my first post..i've been watching you guys past month and i think this is the best forum i've ever seen..tnx for all the advices i got just by watching the forum :thumb:

but now i'd like to ask you for some help..as you probably know already kitesurfing is veeerrryyyy expencive (at least for a student :P ), but anyway, i'll try to get some money&buy a kite..here's the problem: i read everything i could find about the boxer and i think it would the best choice for me, but on the other hand, i found a great deal on aero 1..does anybody now anything about this kite???

i'm thinking of getting one of those in 14qm (185cm, 75kg, did some kite flying& bodydragging already)...

800 euros for boxer (complete) is a good deal, right? but aero is even cheaper.... :roll: what should i do?

tnx for answer(s) :bye:

ctkiteboarding
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ctkiteboarding » Sun May 30, 2004 1:40 am

go with the boxer much better kite

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Naish, North, Ozone, MikesLab, Taaroa

Postby cglazier » Sun May 30, 2004 4:17 am

The Aero I was fine but it is now 3 generations old. So of course it is cheaper than the Boxer. As a total beginner you will do fine on either but as you progress you will appreciate the newer kite better. The Boxer is an excellent kite.

Unless you are really strapped for cash go for the Boxer. The resale value on it will be higher too.

:wink:
Chris Glazier

Benji
Medium Poster

Postby Benji » Sun May 30, 2004 11:37 am

Try neither. Get a North Vegas Much better....

KiTe GrOm
Medium Poster

Postby KiTe GrOm » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:39 am

pay the bit more and get the boxer heaps better

Dax
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dax » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:39 pm

How much cheaper is the Aero? If its less than 30% the cost of the Boxer, than I'd consider getting the Aero. Here in the US I just sold an old Aero 12m in very good condition for around $250, I wouldn't pay much more than that. I loved these kites so I kept my old 10m Aero as a thrasher/lender kite, and in case my girlfriend decides to give kiting a try.

Your first kite is going to take a beating, and you are pretty unlikely to notice any of the new features until you get better, so you might consider an older kite like the Aero.

That said make sure its in good condition, and make sure you get an updated bar & lines setup. Don't use the bar that came originally with the Aero, it will be outdated and not equipped with the safety features of a newer bar. http://www.bestkiteboarding.com has good deals on bars and lines if you want one cheap (get the regular bar not the swivel one.)

Anyway, the old Aero is a great kite IMO. It relaunches easier than any newer kite I've flown, it has heaps of grunt (great for waterstarts), and its pretty damn stable for an older kite. Boxer is no doubt, two generations better, but the more you pay the madder your going to get when you thrash it. Maybe let the cheap kite taking the beating and get the nicer one later on.

:bye:

mickpilch
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mickpilch » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:56 pm

Go with the boxer if you can afford it, better kite with more range

Jeff82
Frequent Poster

Postby Jeff82 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:59 pm

I'm a student too with the same budget problems and the 14 aero was my first kite and still my favourite of all the kites I've ridden. It's the easiest kite ever to relaunch, it's durable (3 yrs old and has taken a hell of alot of beatings, still going strong), and I think the range is pretty damn good (68kgs and I can take it out from 13knots up to 25knots before getting overpowered). I'm sure the majority that are putting it down haven't even ridden the kite because it's definitely a good kite to learn on. That being said, while I haven't ridden the Boxer it'd be my choice depending on the price. If it was around $400AU I'd buy it in a second, but if your getting the boxer for close to the same amount then I'd probably get the new kite. It's not gonna be worn like the Aero so you'll be able to do most of the wearing yourself. Good luck in what ever you get, and like I said, if it's the right price I wouldn't rule out the Aero :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”