Profire Bar and New System

forum for kitesurfers

HotKarl
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Profire Bar and New System

Postby HotKarl » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:27 pm

Had a breakthrough weekend. Could finally stay upwind and landed a couple of 5 foot jumps. Finally the light bulb went on. I did find a couple problems with my gear though, mainly my 2003 Slingshot Profire Bar. I noticed the wrist leash would sometimes wrap it self around the bar. I guess this is from the frontline twisting. Kind of made me think of what would happened if I had let go, wouldn’t the bar go out a couple feet and not depower the kite all the way? Has anyone experienced this?

The other problem I found has when I went out over powered on Sunday. I wanted to make sure the leash worked correctly when it wasn’t wrapped around the bar and it did. The problem I had was when I would retrieve the bar I would have 15 feet of line that was ready to grab at anything; hands, feet, harness hook, etc. Then when it finally did safely go out the kite would relauch itself almost instantly. Does anyone know the safest way to deal with this situation?

Maybe I should just get a Best bar?
Is Slingshots new system going to solve all these problems?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:50 pm

always be aware of possible failures. If a line is wrapped around the bar, it might not release, therefore you need to have the WCS (worst case scenario) release.

The new spreaderbar should solve this problem, depending how long the leash will be.

tweekster
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tweekster » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:52 am

i have the same bar and the same problem with it, the leash wrapping around the bar. i attach the leash to my harness. here's how i resolved it. i removed the center leader lines from the swivel. on the new bar this is one piece with loops on either end. i cut the piece exactly in half and knotted off the tag ends. then i attached the looped end thru the swivel on the left side to make the left center line leader. on the right side i swapped the leader line with the red oh-shit leader used for the right back line. voila! now you can attach you leash to the center line and it will be farther away from your bar end.

Return to “Kitesurfing”