best 21 meter

Forum for kitesurfers
Kite Scarecrow
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kite Scarecrow » Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:20 am

Hey SQ, what do you think I should do about my 21? (read my first post in this thread)? :?:

Ramo
Medium Poster

Postby Ramo » Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:55 am

I agree with Fo and whoever else said big kites suck. I have tried a few recent apparently good big kites at exactly the same time as my GK 15m and even on the same board in constant winds I reckon I get max 2 knts extra out of another 5m2. When you then taken into acount that a big grunty kite seems just to pull you down wind anyway at the low end of its range it just makes no sense to me. Still open to ideas if the right design comes along though.

Ramo

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:47 am

On this pin hole thing:

If you don't like seeing light come through your kite then keep it from blocking out the Sun!

Every kite I've ever flow looks like its FULL of holes when I use it as a sun shade...

I mean everyone of them...
I don't think your kite is flawed Ichorne that's just sun power through pinholes

The first time I saw that I went YIKES this fuckers falling apart!!

no worries
fokiten

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:46 am

I was a big fan of big kites. They are nice but in the end, just have its place in a 4 kite quiver. In 10 kts average I can sail powered on the Rhino 20 but when the wind picks up a bit the guys on 16s have more fun.

Demoduck
Medium Poster

Postby Demoduck » Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:08 pm

I think everyone has a certain lower wind-speed threshhold in which its time to pack up the kite and find somthing else to do. 10-12mph is probably the average for most people.

At 6'3" and 210 lbs my lowest windspeed is 15mph with my 20m North Rhino II. (which I can hold down well past 20mph)

Doesn't matter what size board I use either. I've tried to get going on a freakin board the size of a barge with no luck.

STF
Very Frequent Poster

Postby STF » Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:26 am

sq, Klatts canopy is gray on his 21m NEMI? i saw this happaning at the beach he could not get the setting right on the 21m nemi, while i was ok on a old 2002 cab. BLacktip 16m? Whats the correct line settings for the "sweet spot" for the 21m? More/ less front/back???? I have a 21m on the way too was just wondering? oh ya what size bar is recomended for the 21m and does it really make a huge differance? Thanks STF

STF
Very Frequent Poster

Postby STF » Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:19 pm

Anybody? Anybody>

Buller...Buller....Buller..?

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:46 pm

I kite in the sea breezes on an island in the Pac northwest
and the wind rarely goes over 12 knots in the summer but
it does blow that hard every other day so on those days I
use my FS Titan 18.5 which equals a 23 ish Lei. Ya, sure ,
I have smaller kites but I rarely use them. Ya sure, my arms
get tired from yanking like hell on the lines to turn the kite fast
enough to jump, but hey, I'm kiting and that's better than not
which would be the case with a kite any smaller in 7 to 12 knots.
So I do like big kites for my conditions. I love them!

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:07 pm

guys , big kite flying in light winds is an art, it trakes real balance and poise and a high level of board finesse to get the benefit out of the bigger sizes.

riding a big kite in light wind can be a bit of a wake up call to your actual board and kite skills, i'm not saying that as an excuse, its simply the truth.

the bigger a kite gets the smaller its windrange gets, so correct set up of the bar and lines is important. i prefer to ride against the stopper on the trim strap with as much power as i can hold, if there is simply not enough wind or i am leaning back too hard with my body weight rather than edging through while trying to keep the board flat this can be pretty tough. leading the kite to stall.

with the big kites in light winds, fly it hard, use a 60cm bar if you can and dont pull in on the bar until you pick up board speed, you will find the sweet spot.

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:08 am

Hi sq,

Had to chuckle a bit at your post, being a > Big kites suck huge!! aficionado,

I was taken by the frankness of your post. Rather than getting all liquored up and busting sweet air on your BIG dawg your more likely to be swearing at the top of your lungs:

Going>> you fucking piece of shit huge mofo fucking gawd damn bitch nice person whore bitch cunt suck wad fucking bitch f***.f***!
Yeah it tests your skills alright (smile)
and thanks for the up date.
fo

Return to “Kitesurfing”