Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Simple self-police system...

Postby Wetstuff » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:25 pm

Our crew kites in a location we share with many tourists. Most are not locals who are familiar with the area, but one-weeker’s who would not know danger - ‘till it bit them. In an effort to self-police, we came up with a simple buoy system. The general agreement was to have them placed about 2 line lengths from the shoreline. It’s not an aussie shark-net, but provides a visual reminder; if you stuff a jump - there are people who very well may be in range of your kite. It’s also peer pressure on those who like to showboat close to shore.

The original set of buoys were smaller (hard to see) and anchored by a brick. One smart kiter raised the issue of a line catching a float with a BRICK attached! A simple substitute would be socks with cats on them and any spray bottle. I was advised to clear it with the authorities first: NO WAY. The last thing we want is to attract more attention, or be handed 100 pages of navigation regulations.

Luckily, we don't have a goon in our group like Traig has there over in Califorina.

Kite hard - safely.

Jim

mikeysfl
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby mikeysfl » Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:27 pm

pay someone with a bb gun to shoot any nice person that does not obey the rules.

gottmoore
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby gottmoore » Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:22 am

my god they took his arm off for kiting in the zone

oh wait, I forgot
wet stuff is a killer rash guard MFR

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:42 am

Good idea Jim, do you leave them out there permanently, and just replace them when they are invevitably nicked by fishermen (I know thats what will happen here) ?

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:17 pm

Ya Steve: I bought a bag-of'em to share with the toothless ones. Luckily, the 'harvesters' set their pots in the channels - these are in the shallows. This obviously would not work in the ocean, it's bayside.

Another lazyman's trick I was doing for a while; moor two boards out away from shore off a float. Then you can switch from short-to-long without having to walk ashore with a kite. Just have a spring clip on a bit of line on the boards.

Gotm.. I made more Lycra socks than the World would wear.

Cheers guys.

jim

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:13 pm

Wetstuff wrote:Ya Steve: I bought a bag-of'em to share with the toothless ones. Luckily, the 'harvesters' set their pots in the channels - these are in the shallows. This obviously would not work in the ocean, it's bayside.

Another lazyman's trick I was doing for a while; moor two boards out away from shore off a float. Then you can switch from short-to-long without having to walk ashore with a kite. Just have a spring clip on a bit of line on the boards.

Gotm.. I made more Lycra socks than the World would wear.

Cheers guys.

jim
Good idea Jim. I know of a few launches where permanent buoys have been installed. Still your rapid, low key system is a good approach particularly given that you put them in and take them out to try to avoid permission problems.

Does Wetsuff have these for sale?

Return to “Kitesurfing”