Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Safety Systems tested in German Mag!!!

forum for kitesurfers

jimmylewis
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jimmylewis » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:44 pm

8) Nin sprekon zi doich!(sp.)........If the release systems are being tested by load was the fact that the <b>OCEAN RODEO PUNCH OUT</b> system is adjustable considered. The O.R. system ships with a tension device loaded to require 64 pounds pressure to release...4 fiberglass battens provide the load. These battens are removable such that 25%-100% of the pre-load is released!...Also, the O.R. system allows the rider to hook into a 'fixed' loop & reset the release. I have sailed into the beach de-powered the strap & reset my PUNCH OUT without having to land my kite & end my session!

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000

Postby Flyboy » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:23 pm

I would also like to know about the 2004 Takoon QR. I have tried dangling & pushing the QR & it works fine. My only concern is that it might open by accident. What experiences have you & other local riders had with the system, Peter?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:44 pm

Flyboy wrote:I would also like to know about the 2004 Takoon QR. I have tried dangling & pushing the QR & it works fine. My only concern is that it might open by accident. What experiences have you & other local riders had with the system, Peter?
Our experiences:

When you dont have the "rubber" spring - it can occasionally open by accident :roll:

When you got the "spring" version - it has never opened by accident (and it is very well suited for handle passes too...)

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:33 am

Peter: what the hell is the rubber spring? Can you describe what you mean? If you don't have it, can it be retro-fitted? Thanks!

Olfje
Medium Poster

Postby Olfje » Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:33 am

kiteboarding is still and will always be an extreme sport and we can moan about this is good and this is bad and ok we will learn about it. The thing is that in Germany they're all talking about release systems while standing on the beach launcing their kites with 20 tourist around stepping on their lines and holding the lines...
Where is the safety in that?

stefannn
Medium Poster

Postby stefannn » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:26 am

Olfje wrote:kiteboarding is still and will always be an extreme sport and we can moan about this is good and this is bad and ok we will learn about it. The thing is that in Germany they're all talking about release systems while standing on the beach launcing their kites with 20 tourist around stepping on their lines and holding the lines...
Where is the safety in that?
sorry, i beg to differ. in most kiting areas you will find obstacles. i doubt that release systems are just for overcrowded places in germany.

franky, it makes wonder how this discussion is being lead. from my point of view it is quite clear that kite companies avoid using an expensive system like wichard as this would reduce their margins. a study pointing out this fact this fact is made public and many people are tring to justify systems which are clearly inferior.

cheers, stefannn

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:00 am

pls, Olfje, you can't be serious.
Germany is, due to the worldwide first (?) death of the best German kite lady Silke Gorldt very conscious about safety systems.
Flysurfer and X-Shooter are two German based companies and both have th best test results, because they constantly are trying to make their gear safer. The safety discussions are endless in Germany therefore I assume you had from 2002 on the most riders with a safety. Still in many other countries you don't see as man as here. Due to handle-pass you see more kiteleashes, but before they had that leash these riders had maybe a grab leash.
So pls be careful with what you are writting.

Peter: can you still release the QR iwth the rubber part above the release? Isn't it in the way and will maek it harder to release??

Greets
Toby

Philipp
Rare Poster

Bar Test

Postby Philipp » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:18 am

A lot of respect to:

a) the German kite magazine for conducting and publishing such an independent test (while risking to annoy most of their advertising partners, very rare nowadays in most industries - trust me, I know)

b) Toby for always trying to promote safety in this sport

c) the x-shooter/Masterpiece team for having build one of the few really reliable safety systems, independently from the big manufacturers

Shame to the industry who after knowing about all the accidents still brings "18 out of 20" unreliable products onto the market.

May the King of Torts hunt them down!

Philipp

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:30 pm

Still waiting for a reply from Peter: what exactly is the "spring" on the Takoon QR. Can I retro-fit it?

maddy
Very Frequent Poster

beware

Postby maddy » Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:28 am

beware of german tests..

I agree that anything is better than nothing, particularly in safety.
I agree tht's the main subject.

I have long personal experience with mags and tests in windsurfing first and then snowboarding (bindings for example) .

The german way is very very often taking care of almost useless lab tests and less of practice. And of course german products and ... $$$ have bit more respect ( bit ) but that's normal on mags.

Than it's ok to have datas based on this philosophy but you have tu put together with some others to have a more objective information.

Return to “Kitesurfing”