Who's jibing the MTX?

forum for kitesurfers

high123
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Who's jibing the MTX?

Postby high123 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:23 am

According to some of the postings on this forum quite a few MTX owners never jibe the MTX and seem to be happy riding the board backwards.

I recently purchased an MTX and was not impressed about how the board rides backwards. It's ok to get out of trouble but as soon as possible I jibe. The board is so much faster and goes upwind way better when you ride it forward IMHO, especially in chop. It also feels better: A nice compact tail like on a 115-120 board and a long front section to get over the chop like on a 145 board. I practiced jibing on a bigger mutant for a few days and now after a couple of sessions on the MTX I'm jibing the board all the time, almost always successfully (I'm 175 lbs, intermediate rider). Contrary to common belief jibing is really not that hard.

I'm curious. Who's jibing the MTX, who's not?

A thread about jibing with links to many other threads:
phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2303326&navi=1&button=forum

tux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Lignano
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara CE BR
Style: wave
Gear: Naish Helix Limited '09 9 North rebel '09 9; vegas '08 9 , rhino '07 14
John Amundson Pro model '08 Hydro '08

re

Postby tux » Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:43 am

I've had in the past 2 directionals, 2 naish TT directionals and 2 mutants naish, I've always jibed, but with the MTX I've never had the need to do it.

oceanplay
Very Frequent Poster

Postby oceanplay » Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:59 pm

can't that that thing rip toe side?

tux
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tux » Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:19 pm

oceanplay wrote:can't that that thing rip toe side?
You can ride it toeside like any good bidirectional,

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Razor '12, 10, 7 & 5m, Flite '12 15m.
North X-Ride 129x38
Naish Custom Wave Global 5.7
Nobile Skim
Nobile Zen & Infinity Split
Dynabar
BGD Cure M
Niviuk Zion 15

Postby Janus » Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:32 pm

i can not imaging that a mutant / mutated mutand or mutated TT rider does not jibe. start doing power jibes its great! even on normal TT's jibing is nice.
How are you going to do some wave riding without knowing how to jibe or jibing regularly?

Arjan

tux
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tux » Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:43 pm

Janus wrote:i can not imaging that a mutant / mutated mutand or mutated TT rider does not jibe. start doing power jibes its great! even on normal TT's jibing is nice.
How are you going to do some wave riding without knowing how to jibe or jibing regularly?

Arjan
It might be dangerous, ...psss I've heard many R''*'' blewup wile jibing

titusmobil
Rare Poster

Postby titusmobil » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:13 am

I don't gibe when wave riding, ensuring to keep the best side ready for surfing in case meeting a nice one. Jumping and riding rear side first is ok. I generally gibe otherwise for max pleasure, but I also ride it like a TT in strong wind. Every way is posible. :bye:

SteveM
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Favorite Beaches: Maseriah Island, Oman
Style: Surf

Postby SteveM » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:54 am

My feelings are the same as High123, I always jibe my MTX unless getting out of trouble or doing transitions when I ride toeside. I am trying to get use to riding the board backwards but am finding it difficult, as if overpowered I tend to over edge it or nose dive, if underpowered I find that you lose to much power as it then rides like the small board that it is.

I am working on my weight distribution, which I think is my problem, as this is basically two different boards in one and each way needs to be ridden with a different technique.

Jibing is relatively easy, and I get about 90% of my jibes, probably due to all my windsurfing, but it does take alot of concentration.

I haven't ridden my MTX much, as although it wave rides slightly better than a TT, having a tighter grippier bottom turn and top turn, a TT is easier and therefore more comfortable and fun to ride.

Steve

macca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby macca » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:37 pm

I dont have a MTX but similar Mutt, I have been working at jibeing it quite a lot rather than the toeside riddeing or of the nose.

There is much more to be gained riddeing it of the fins, i wont switch (attempt) in difficult conditions, just ride it toeside or backwards, but on up wind legs or going for jumps it is much better to have it the right way round. I used to ride it backwards all the time, but it is such a different technique, all most pulling up on the front leg to clear the fins, even more so with 11cm fins, so am working to master the feet swap. Watched the Locals in Tenerife change feet everytime, inspired me to stick at it.

thiazzz
Frequent Poster

Postby thiazzz » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:51 pm

I don't jibe the MTX, basically because i've always ridden a twin and i'm not good at jibing. I've tried it once, with no succes. I ride it switch or on the nose. The twisting of the footstraps make using it in the "other side" pretty difficult.

Return to “Kitesurfing”