Teabagger First Buy

Forum for kitesurfers
moray
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby moray » Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:14 pm

Getting closer to buying first rig. Found conflicting advise so here's a q-post.

What do all of you recommend? (No need to spec out knife, that - alas - has been bought)

Peace out et grazie.

-Moray

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Sep 17, 2002 10:08 pm

nromally a kite of about 12 sqm surface area is a good beginner size.
Don't get a high performer, stay with an intermediate kite. Easier handling and better restart.
My suggestion:
North Toro 12.0 or Naish Aero 12.0.
You should use it in winds of 3-5 Bft, depending on your weight.
If you r weight is below 60 kgs, go for a 10.0.

Hope that helps.

Ciao
Toby

moray
Medium Poster

Postby moray » Wed Sep 18, 2002 12:49 am

Thanks Toby. That helps quite a bit. Winds in my area tend towards 10-25mph. My weight is 68 kg, so it seems like a 12.0 in either North or Naish should work then.

From the description on the respective websites there does not seem to be a big difference between the two. Fair assessment?

Grazie.

-moray

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: moray on 2002-09-18 01:49 ]</font>

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 18, 2002 1:15 am

68 Kilo! You may be better of with a 10sqm.

Being pretty lite a 12 is quite abig kite for you to be learning on, if you go witha 12 be careful!

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 18, 2002 3:22 am

Im 72 kilos, I bought my first kite 3 months ago and im still only using this one kite. It's a 9.0 Cabrinha CO2 (total 12 sq m - so it's equal to Toro and Naish 12). Overall, im very happy with this kite, and i've tried a bunch of other kites. At the begining, it was a bit rough, but i've been in high winds. Since you're from NY, most of the time it's below 15 knots, so i'd stick with the 12. when you're learning dont go in the winds above 15 knots and you'll be ok. Also, dont get a very big board. your first board should be between 150 and 160 cm. that way you dont outgrow it too quickly.

good luck and be safe.
cheers, vp

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 18, 2002 3:35 am

Best advise I can give: Pick your days. Light, steady wind. If the wind is strong or gusty, do something else. What ever size kite you get, only go out when you are slightly underpowered, you will learn much faster. I think a larger kite taken out in lighter winds is better - 12 mph is ideal. When you fall, you will not be yanked nearly as hard when the kite goes thru the power zone by mistake. Also, the balance points are easier to find.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Wed Sep 18, 2002 5:28 am

very true - pick your days.
25 mph is too much for this size but 10-15 is seal to learn.
Don't overjudge yourself, since this attitude already killed some guys, who didn't want to listen. So be smart and always anticipate a lot.

The Toro or Aero are similar in their handling. The North bar is bad, the Naish is way better. But North will bring out a new bar in about 3-6 weeks.

Cheers
Toby

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Wed Sep 18, 2002 6:20 am

Sounds like you're gonna have a ton of fun Moray. Just remember that even if you had a baptism of fire and loved it, kiting can get potentially very dangerous very fast.

My advice is, as the other guys said, start flying the kite in light constant wind but also don't use a shackle (at least at the beginning then decide what you like best), hold the bar in your hands so you can let go fast and use a kite leash. Keep well away from solid objects especially downwind and keep the kite low (45° or lower) until you're in the water. Hook in just to pick your board up.
Standing hooked in with the kite at zenith is asking for trouble.
Stay safe, have fun and let us know how you get on.
Jo

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Wed Sep 18, 2002 6:26 am

for more infos check this out:
phpBB/viewforum.php?forum=3&16

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Wed Sep 18, 2002 7:25 am

Check this out too Hung Vu's web site it's one of the best around imo even if some of the stuff is a bit old.

http://www.kitesurfingschool.org/

On equipment I agree with Toby a low AR kite will be easier, but shit you learnt to kite in a hurricane man so you must be a pretty sporty type. I think you could probably start with a medium/high Ar kite, (Slingshot Fuel, North Rhino, etc, not really technical like RRD supertype or Naish X2 though) just learn to relaunch it in the shallows first, by flipping it on its back, either by jerking the bar and walking/swimming towards it or pulling in about 2m of centre lines and letting go, (7-8) knots and about 20-50 cm of water is ideal for this.
Have fun.
Jo

Return to “Kitesurfing”