forum for kitesurfers

jever98
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Moving to NZ - advice needed

Postby jever98 » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:08 pm

Hi folks,

my girlfriend will spend a year studying in NZ (Auckland) and wants to take 2 kites with her. She weighs 58kg, rides a 136 x 35 flip tip (Cape Dr.) and does some jumps (say up to 2m high). Good at control, but doesn't like to ride very overpowered.

Since she will be there for the whole year, we were thinking for her to take an 8m and a 12m kite - any advice on whether that is a good combo for her?

Also, do you have any advice on where to go to get to know some kite surfing folks? She doesn't like to sail by herself....

Thanks in advance for the advice,
Jever

pauly
Rare Poster

Postby pauly » Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:19 pm

Hey,

I would recommend bringing a slightly bigger kite than a 12m. During the summer months you would probably get more use out of a 12 and a 16 than you would an 8m. It does depend a lil on where she will be staying but the North Shore of Auckland tends to get North Easterlies in the summer months (sea breezes) which allow for kiting along any of the 9 beaches along the coast (all about 2 mins drive from one to another). Obviously im a lil heavier than 58kg but i have only used my 7m 4 times this year and the rest on my 12 or 16m.

Just my thoughts...

Have a good trip.

Taz P
Medium Poster

Postby Taz P » Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:32 am

Auckland area can be pretty gusty and strong. I'd take 3 kites, 8,12, and 16 for the summer. But I think she will use a 12 more often.

NZ is great for kiteboarding, long empty beaches as soon as you get out of big citites!!!

Flash Gordon
Rare Poster

Postby Flash Gordon » Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:02 am

Moving to NZ - advice needed
DON'T!

powerkiteaddict
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Moving to NZ - advice needed

Postby powerkiteaddict » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:12 pm

jever98 wrote:
my girlfriend will spend a year studying in NZ (Auckland).......She doesn't like to sail by herself....

Thanks in advance for the advice,
Jever
She won't be sailing alone for long-and don't worry about the cold-I'll keep her warm. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”