Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

pleaseeee help

forum for kitesurfers

botak
Rare Poster

Postby botak » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:15 am

vman,
you are so full of yourself.......people tryin to help you but you ignore all advice.......hope you got the most airtime and crash into a cactus field.... :bye:

No Idea
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby No Idea » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:47 am

I am not overestimating my ability nor am I underestimating the kite either.
But I’ve windsurfed in almost all conditions and wind strengths, I’ll go out in storms with a 9m sail while others are on 6ms and I can handle it.
Handle it?????? You are kidding aren't you???

Do yourself a favour and reread all the good advice given to you here and put them into practice.

I windsurfed for 13 years and have sailed in some very strong wind in my time. There is absolutely NO-WAY you can compare the two. High wind sailboarding is extremely low risk when comparing to high wind (any wind for that matter) kiting.

Hopefully your over confident attitude is not your undoing.

botak
Rare Poster

Postby botak » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:10 am

I am not overestimating my ability nor am I underestimating the kite either.
But I’ve windsurfed in almost all conditions and wind strengths, I’ll go out in storms with a 9m sail while others are on 6ms and I can handle it. Was in Lancelin, Perth last year locals were on 4 and 5 and I was comfortable on a 7.2. What about the guys who started without any help at all? I’ve seen a few of them here picking up the sport on their own and are pretty good now.

wow vman!! looks like you are one hell of a surfer man! you got some big groins man.....i must really salute to you for such guts you have...i really really tryin very hard to believe that you windsurfed in almost all conditions and i finally overcome myself and BELIEVE!...
those guys that pick up kite surfing on their own till this day still got some thorns sticking onto their butt man! haha cheers!!

goflyakite
Rare Poster

no help in singapore?!

Postby goflyakite » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:08 pm

hey man....
u sure there's no help in singapore or u just don't want to get for whatever reasons?
i know for a fact that constant wind is giving lessons.
u want to be a cheapskate then go die somewhere else. not in singapore.
a couple of hundred dollars isn't worth your life buddy....
but then again...

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:16 pm

vman wrote:But I’ve windsurfed in almost all conditions and wind strengths, I’ll go out in storms with a 9m sail while others are on 6ms and I can handle it. Was in Lancelin, Perth last year locals were on 4 and 5 and I was comfortable on a 7.2.
This is how windsurfers get themselves killed... KITES ARE NOT THE SAME - THE SKILLS DO -NOT- TRANSFER - ask any windsurfer who has survived the transition (like the ones who have already tried to help you on this thread).

And I'm sorry if you feel these comments are getting too direct, but YOU'RE NOT LISTENING.

vman
Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush, Gaastra, Nobile
Brand Affiliation: Airush, Gaastra, Nobile

Re: no help in singapore?!

Postby vman » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:55 pm

goflyakite wrote:hey man....
u sure there's no help in singapore or u just don't want to get for whatever reasons?
i know for a fact that constant wind is giving lessons.
u want to be a cheapskate then go die somewhere else. not in singapore.
a couple of hundred dollars isn't worth your life buddy....
but then again...
since you claim to know for a fact that constantwind gives lessons, tell me where then. In Singapore? I don't think so. Anyone there qualified there i don't so either. Last I heard their so-called instructor got his kite on some people on the beach while trying the kite on land. :roll:

Stewart
Frequent Poster

Postby Stewart » Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:04 pm

V-man, please don't construe all of these people trying to help you as being negative, they are just VERY concerned for your safety because you are so obviously violating accepted kite safety practices. Continue on this path and you will end up hurt or much worse!

I learned to kite by myself 5 years ago after a brief rigging lesson from a friend, not because I wanted to but because I was in a situaton where that was my only option. I wouldn't wish that approach on anyone. I feel lucky to be alive today. SERIOUSLY!!!

In this day and age, there is no reason to even consider this approach.

Take lessons, find other people who kite, ask questions, sell your kite and get something smaller to learn on, JUST DON'T CONTINUE ON THIS PATH!!!!!

Don't become another statistic, we've had too many already. :thumb:

pluvious2002
Medium Poster

Postby pluvious2002 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:49 pm

okay, vman, repeat after me:

a kite is not a windsurf sail. a kite is not a windsurf sail. etc. etc.

the sooner you get that through your head the better.

your obstinancy is obvious, that's why folks are coming down so hard on you.

many (if not most) of us were windsurfers, surfers, etc, before taking up kitesurfing. the two sports don't compare. it's apples and oranges. those of us who taught ourselves how to kite (cause lessons weren't available) all have stories of near and very near misses, brushes with catastrophe. learn from our mistakes.

think of this n.g. as a beach croweded with kitesurfers. it's good to walk around and ask people stuff, that's how you learn, but you need to LISTEN to what folks say. you should take note of the fact that, so far, MANY of us think you're approaching this with the wrong attitude, that you're setting yourself up for injury or worse.

a couple essentials, whether you get lessons or not:

don't ride without some kind of quickrelease. this is not a standard clip. it's a shackle or pin system that will reliably release UNDER LOAD (which, in case you're interested, can be MANY times body weight). test it. practice with it. make sure you can disconnect yourself from the kite, no matter what happens.

don't launch hooked in while you're learning.

don't launch or fly near any obstructions. how close is near? how about 100 meters...distance is your friend.

wear a kite leash. a runaway kite can kill. no joke.

Fuzz
Medium Poster

Postby Fuzz » Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:58 pm

what pluvious said :thumb:

pablitotff
Rare Poster

Postby pablitotff » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:03 pm

I would add to the body of knowledge you are getting for free:

You cannot go out to kite on a given day with a single kite. The fact that you don't know this is scary. There is a reason people have four kites. And if you don't know what you are doing, and are out by yourself (shudder, shudder), you have no clue which kite you should be using.

If you don't have a windmeter, you start with your smallest kite and gradually work your way up.

Here's a real good reason for taking lessons that might appeal to your budget: Your instructor will have a truckload of kites and gear. He will set up you up right each and every session. It's part of the price -- the kite rental. This will save you money and lots of frustration. Also, you will learn on beginner kites that you don't want to buy because you will outgrow them rapidly if you have skills.

Then, when you are ready to be going out on your own, your instructor will give you free advice about what are the best kites to buy for your skill level, local area wind/water conditions, and goals. In addition, many/most instructors will sell you used gear (saving your money) or new gear at a discount. My instructor set me up with three kites and a board for $800. How much did you pay for that single Takoon? As many guys have said here, you are going to trash your first kites anyway while learning, so there's no reason to buy new stuff at big $.

Lastly, I would emphasize a point that some might not agree with: Even when you have learned to kite, you should find a partner or group to go out with. As my instructor says "Self-launching sucks, even for the pros, and self-landing is almost as bad." The first time you decide to go out on your own and get into trouble, you are going to realize why you should always have someone on shore who knows you're out there.

Return to “Kitesurfing”