forum for kitesurfers

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby DrLightWind » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:35 pm

hvyprq wrote: I tried using 23m lines. Went out in a 15-20kn day with a 14m kite and found i was underpowered esp. during the lulls. Went up to my 30m lines and had an awesome session fully powered.

I've tried the 23m a few times and have had the same experience each time. The kite does turn faster but you spend twice as much time turning the kite as the strokes are so short and you get nowhere near the power out of the kite when figure 8ing it.
Agreed :thumb:

Peter Frank's Wind Gradient Chart gives the idea why we could extend the low end range with longer lines.

Also it's worthwhile to check the real time facts thread on "Line length and wind range":
phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2302780&start=0&p ... highlight=

DrLightWind

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:43 pm

"hvyprq"
I had exactly the opposite experience. I tried using 23m lines. Went out in a 15-20kn day with a 14m kite and found i was underpowered esp. during the lulls. Went up to my 30m lines and had an awesome session fully powered.

I've tried the 23m a few times and have had the same experience each time. The kite does turn faster but you spend twice as much time turning the kite as the strokes are so short and you get nowhere near the power out of the kite when figure 8ing it.

I ended up replacing the 23m with 27m. I'd rather vary my power with smaller kites as reducing the line lengths makes the kite feel totally different and gives you a reduced ability to vary your power through moving the kite.
I can only agree 100% with you :thumb:
Longer lines = almost same high end, and much better low end (but easier control at the high end yes)

BUT - in light winds with big kites (which are a pain in the ass generally IMO...), you can often have much more FUN with shorter lines - although your total windrange will diminish a lot when shortening the lines (only slightly better handling at the upper limit, and very bad low end)

The difference might be if you have a really slow kite - then your low end might not be that much improved by flying (trying to) the kite faster :roll:
But I am still 100% sure that even slow kites has better total windrange with longer lines :P

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Postby DrLightWind » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:58 pm

Peter_Frank wrote: Longer lines = almost same high end, and much better low end (but easier control at the high end yes)

BUT - in light winds with big kites (which are a pain in the ass generally IMO...), you can often have much more FUN with shorter lines - although your total windrange will diminish a lot when shortening the lines (only slightly better handling at the upper limit, and very bad low end)
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 99
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Alkita boards
Zeeko foil
GK Trix
Enduro9
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast

Postby bragnouff » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:33 pm

OK guys, I agree in the light wind AND with big kites, short lines do not provide any low end advantage, and somehow, it sucks! Big kites just don't work well with short lines, in light wind, there is no way you can ride fast enough for it to work. In 12kts you can't ride at 20 knots, no secret...
However when using a reasonable size like a 12 or less in a reasonable wind, shorter lines will provide less drag, more speed once the kite is parked and then they can potentially give you more power out of your kite. The payload is that it is much harder to build the speed of your board (and keep it) and to reach the stage where you are riding fast enough to maintain your kite in the window, and not at the edge. This requires quite a few strokes to start then some certain board (and kite) skills to keep you accelerating and at least reach the speed threshold that will keep you going fast... the holy speed balance!
If the conditions are somehow gusty with big lulls, if there is big chop, messy waves, etc... this will make the things even harder. It is then way easier and more laid back riding with longer lines.
The conclusion is... it just depends of the conditions...
Obviously if one day you switch from your usual 27 to 20m, it will make a big difference and you'll struggle quite a lot, you'll even hate it, but you'll get used to it, session after session, then you'll be able to make a choice for the day.

Cheers & Pray4Wind!

Return to “Kitesurfing”