Forum for kitesurfers
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Taken for a ride ...

Postby RickI » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:37 pm

In early gangster movies, this had a serious, negative connotation. Like you were off to be fitted with cement overshoes.

In kiteboarding it is sometimes just as bad. I am curious how many people when they have jumped on or nearshore were suddenly and without warning "taken for a ride" or had their jump extended?

Eric Eck had his little jump over some lines in Oahu a few years ago extended into an almost minute long lofting to about 225 ft. high when he did his little jump into apparent uplift lofting conditions.

I did my little bunny hop years ago, AGAIN escaping gravity, when a strong gust hit and ka-pow inland I flew into a smash in.

I heard of a case recently with a small nearshore transition jump turning into a fast flight inland without warning resulting in injury.

I am sure there have been other examples of this, that is:

1. Jumping , escaping gravity thereby SUBSTANTIALLY reducing the wind speed needed to move you downwind.

2. Being picked up by a sudden gust that hit right at the worst time.

3. Being blown willy nilly downwind into ?

So, how about it, who has been though this? Injury isn't a necessary part of the stories, it would be great if there weren't any. It would even be good to hear of suddenly extended jumps while still offshore.

NEEDLESS TO SAY, IT IS BEST TO PICK YOUR KITE AND WEATHER CAREFULLY, LAUNCH YOUR KITE UNHOOKED AND GET WELL OFFSHORE PRONTO AND STAY THERE UNTIL TIME TO COME IN. LAND UNHOOKED AS WELL USING GOOD PRACTICE.

NO JUMPING ON OR NEARSHORE, UNLESS ...

you want to risk being taken for a ride someday.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:35 pm

Surely some folks have been surprised by an extended jump whether over water or land? If so, please tell us about it. Your story may save some others a fair amount of pain one of these days. Many people don't see any problem with riding close to shore regardless of the apparent hazards. This is a threat not only to riders but also to access.

kitingkt
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kitingkt » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:48 pm

hey rick,

i had a 'ride' two years ago out at maryhill, washington on the gorge. i was on my 12 kite powered up well and in a turn with the kite overhead when this crazy gust came through a took me probably 1000 yards downwind in about 5 or 6 seconds. my board was just barely skimming across the water over the top of the chop. no land was downwind of me, just more river. i was headed through the windsurfing area and saw no one downwind of me but, windsurfers were to the sides. i decided against pulling the safety since no one was in danger but myself and i if i did, lots of windsurfers would be headed towards my lines in the water. when i finally touched down, i jammed on the brakes with my heels and the kite came to the edge of the window. it took me 6 or 7 runs straight upwind and about 10 minutes of riding before i was back to where i started before the gust.

i found myself actually quite calm during this event. i knew land was not near and continually scan the water around me while i am kiting to make sure i know where people are. i think i did the right thing by not just pulling the safety right away.

kt

dazza5172
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Middleton, Port Willunga, Mid Coast
Favorite Beaches: Middleton, U-Turns
Style: Wave
Gear: North Rebels, North Rocket Fish, North Freestyle Fish

Postby dazza5172 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:07 am

recently we had a lofting day in SA at a lake spot. It was a North Wind which for us is off the land (safe for direction at this particular spot but not the wind) I checked the reports and downloaded the local private weather graph we can get, it looked like a spikey ant eater. 5 - 25 knots, I decided not to go.

I heard that day that one mate of mine got lofted 30 ft withing a second and rode it back down, he was hovering about 2 ft just before, and another guy got lofted and slammed and went to hospital. I dont know him and so dont really want to comment much as I dont know the full story. However my other friend who got lofted said that this guys waste harness had been pulled over his ribs and contributed to the internal injuries.

Lessons I learnt years ago with windsurfing, Never trust a Northerly (Hot summer off land wind) check the variation in the wind, utimaltely these winds will let you down - either leave you out to sea or come in heavy gusts.

Lessons I have learnt more recently - Never kite in summer northerlies

I would think that for you guys top of the world there is probably a different similar direction probably southerly, even tropical Oz would be different. But for any southern or lower eastern / western Oz - I never trust a northerly.

(I hope that the lad who got hurt is well and recovering now and apologize for reporting on a hearsay story - I considered it for a while before publishing it as I thought someone else would have - however I think it bears discussion)

In more regular wind:
I would be supprised if anyone who kitesurfs hasn't experienced a second lift in a jump, or a sustained jump. I have had both on a few occassions and as I was out and about it was all part of the rush. I never jump near or on land because I have experienced this. I also don't jump on shallow water as I have had a safety accidental release over deep water and fell some 15 ft, all safe and well re plenty of salt water under my feet.

However I have friends and see others who do both and it does worry me.

I always think that over deep water and potential for a little side stroke with the kite - wet kite drys out!!!! easy.

Dazza :-?

bondo
Frequent Poster

Postby bondo » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:32 am

northerlies in brisbane are gravy 8)

now, ive only just started getting my jumps right, but i had my first secondary boost not long ago (the day i split my 12m in fact) - only a small one but damn i was stoked!! felt like i was floating! i guess if it had been a 40 footer i might not have been so happy, but hey, its all water downwind

good topic RickI - i would be interested to hear how common this is

as for jumping on land - i posted this on the main forum, but it got moved to the videos forum - these guys are doing some pretty mad stuff

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:32 am

Seems like most winds that travel over land for a bit get pretty disturbed, more so when temperature changes come into play.
Naturally the contours of the land play a big role as well, but even flat land with thermal variations can cause serious lofting sensations.
Here in Mauritius we don not have too much problems in this way, as we have 3000miles of "clean" ocean wind coming to us from the east.
I have had a triple lifting jump here, great feeling, but not excessive height, just a pleasant surprise and change from the usual single boost.
Nico

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:03 pm

Thanks for the stories guys. These kites can dish out some POWER to be sure. As they say ... "just add wind!"

I am reminded of another nearshore injury. It involved a Swiss Tourist in Cabarete a couple of years ago. He was riding in very shallow water, parallel to shore, struck bottom, fell over, apparently dove his kite inland and was dragged head first into a wall. He was knocked into a coma but I never heard how things worked out. I hope he recovered fully.

Have others had nearshore misadventures or unexpectedly extended jumps that you would like to tell us about?
Last edited by RickI on Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kitester
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitester » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:15 am

Hi Rick,

I was in Jupiter Beach a couple of weeks ago and got lofted and lifted while on my 23.5 Contra. The wind had been light but steady at around 11mph and was starting to build. On my last tack a gust hit the kite as I turned and just picked me up to about 3 feet. then another gust took me up to about 10 and another to about 15. Then the kite overflew me and I found myself going backwards up-wind till I hit the water. According to people who were watching at the time I was in the air about 12 seconds. Long enough to consider the the down wind exit and the effect of pulling the safety on a big kite in a heavy shore break Fortunatly I had plenty of room down wind and I just put it off to the side and drug back to the board and beach where I went to a 16m kite.

Paul

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:40 pm

Good story Paul, thanks for passing it along. I have frequently thought, pointlessly, that there otta be a law, no big waves without adequate wind to go with them. I don't surf much obviously. Rigging big in large waves with minimal wind can be a trial and a costly one too for torn kites.

12 second hang time, that was some lofting! How far do you estimate you traveled horizontally?

Return to “Kitesurfing”