All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Best or Windwing?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:46 am 
Medium Poster

Whatuallthink?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: BEST
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:59 am 
Medium Poster

lol Best kites are "The Best". LOL funny how that fits lol. the name explains it all. I got a Best trainer kite and its ammaazing. works in anything from 5km/hr winds to 40km/hr winds! great little thing 2.4m :D awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:22 am 
Rare Poster

Last year there was a rider in our area who became a BEST rep/team rider. For the sake of his reputation I will not mention our area or his name. He was given several kites, bar, lines etc. He had the whole best program get paid for kites and what not. When he first showed up on the beach with the BEST kites he felt the need to make an excuse for why he was flying BEST because previously he was riding on conventional brand kites. Most people fimiliar with kiteboarding brands know that the kiter who buys best is either short on cash or just don't want to spend the money on the better kites. Don't get me wrong I am not bashing best or promoting another company. BEST kites are ok kites- they fly, they'll have you jumping, riding etc. It is similar to when you buy anything. For instance, you can buy HP, Compaq, Dell or you can buy an E-Machine. You can choose to buy Coke or Pepsi, or you can buy Big Fizz Soda in the 128oz bottle. You can eat cheerios or taste0s. Everybody has a choice as to what they choose to buy - and kites are no exception. However, you get what you pay for. When you examine the best kites you'll notice they don't have a 4 line relaunch system, one pump, single strut, S.A.F.E, etc...etc... basically the frills- which often can mean allot. I'm sure that a ton of testimonials will follow this post vehemently vouching for Best - some from honest unbiased riders other from best employees, sponsered riders, whatever (although, it appears that the later seems to be the norm on this site). So before you buy, educate yourself. A cheap price doesn't always mean it's a good deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:11 am 
Frequent Poster

Uh that's kinda an elitist viepoint isn't it?

"Most people fimiliar with kiteboarding brands know that the kiter who buys best is either short on cash or just don't want to spend the money on the better kites".

I'm kinda sick of people bashing brands etc on price alone. Your argument is also flawed as you say that people buy best kites cos they don't wanna spend the money on better kites ?

You then go on to say that they fly OK etc etc....

Best and other kites like windwing are generally NOT made any different or using different materials.

I know cos I have had Best and WW 05 as well as Bronccos, North, Gaastra and Flexifoil. Put them next to each other and the materials are the same except for maybe some reinforcements and or weights of polyester. They are mostly made in the same factory (A LAM sails is a large manufacturer in China)

What does seperate them is their R & D and marketing depts. Larger companies have a larger marketing department and therefore greater costs. (not looking at the distribution channels).

This though is not the case for WW as they do have an R&D dept and the kites with the frills. I guess that they also have a direct approach.

I have a RAGE II 12 05 and will have an 8 soon. They are have the frills without the price tag. e.g SAFE, Reverse Re-launch,

Like you said, it goes on personal reference. You are either someone that wants to follow the trends and wants to pay the asking price, or you are someone who is satisfied to buy well made and good kite without the distributor making a cut as well.

It also depends on where you are. HK for one, you can get kites at very good prices yet they have no kiting scene or demand.

You can pick up most kites for around the same price e.g a 11-12m complete from North or Naish or OR or SS or Airush for around $1000 USD. Just need to organise well in advance before you get there as they generally don't carry stock and have to order in.

Else you can get a WW for less than $1K USD and have the frills. I' have chosen the WW for that reason.

See the review on Kite-surf.com

[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:10 am 
Rare Poster

Any chance of details of where to get kites in HK?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:24 am 
Rare Poster

Like yourself kik,
After looking at some WW's in person and doing some research on product features I made the choice of 05 WW's as well.
cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:12 pm 
Medium Poster

Please, keep us posted with the WW 05... Would love to read more users feed back.
I am also closely looking at these. Although I could afford ANY brand :bravo: Can they afford me as their client? This SAFE (if it works) combined with a well designed kite looks like a winner to me. Mind you if the price is better than the rest.
Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:53 pm 
Frequent Poster

I went with the windwings not only because I'm cheap, but also I saw them on the beach last year and they looked great. Last year before the direct shipment thing we put them side by side with the best kites. Both kites looked good to me, but the local shop owner slammed the best kites and praised the Windwings. He said they looked bomb proof. I wonder if they'll get slammed this year now they are "discount kites". I already installed the SAFE bridles on my kites and the idea is so simple. Way to go Windwing for thinking outside of the box!!!!!

I would also like to read more reviews on the outrage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:00 pm 
Medium Poster

To me it looks like the SAFE system can be easily messed up in waves, how does it compare to the 5th. I haven't used either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:00 pm 
Medium Poster

local wrote:
To me it looks like the SAFE system can be easily messed up in waves, how does it compare to the 5th. I haven't used either.

That was one of the reasons for developing SAFE. You want to get your kite up fast in waves so 5th lines are great. But kites tumble in waves all the time and that means you have a good chance of sausaging your kite with the 5th line. SAFE is entirely integrated and will never sausage the kite, but will aid with relaunch.
The other huge advantage is that you have a much larger depower range. It allows you to easily spill power so you can surf using the wave power when you need to yet also sheet in to get kite power when you need it.

[ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next