What went wrong????

Forum for kitesurfers
lutchi
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby lutchi » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:36 pm

And what about your QR you still didn't answer to that we migth assum that you don't have or you don't have a leash ????

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:53 pm

A suggestion: launching is something most people do once a day, but beginners can use more practice than that as this and landing are the most dangerous part of the day. In-water launches are a great idea as above. Also, when standing in shallow water, practice bringing the kite up and down
slowly and under control. Play with it to know what will happen if the kite moves too fast or gets in the wrong spot. etc.

An interesting thing about the videos, lessons,... They usually show things going perfectly, but beginners need to know what will happen if you do X. And also need to be able to recognize when X is happening. (X being kite too far upwind, downwind, too big, too small, etc.)

Ed

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: What went wrong????

Postby RickI » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:04 pm

At first I though you might have had a rigging problem, uneven or misattached lines. This may still be a factor. Then again, I looked at your weight, 60 kg (132 lbs). I weigh 90 kg (185 lbs.) and used an Airblast 8.4 about three years ago. I seem to recall that 17 to 20 kts was near the mid range that I liked to use that kite in. I weigh 30 % more than you! I think you were rigged too big. What is your normal comfortable wind range for the AB 8.4?. How uneven was the wind? It sounds fairly gusty, stalling in lulls and honking in gusts.

I just uploaded a post to the fksa.org site on this subject using some nice resources that Detlef put together on kiteforum. I reproduced part of the post below:

"What Size Kite To Rig?"

We all ask ourselves that question, sometimes fairly often. When we are right, it's great, when were off, well it can be a lot of work or perhaps worse if we really screw up. Most kite manufacturers have wind speed-kite size plots to help riders in choosing kite sizes. Definitely examine your manufacturers recommendations when considering what kite size to use.

Detlef has put together some interesting guides relating wind speed to kite size on kiteforum at: http://gallery.kiteforum.com/gallery/albuq10

Check it out. It is a fairly unique and useful presentation on the Internet dealing with kite size vs. wind range. Tell us how it works for you.

His plots have been reproduced below:

Full size CLICK HERE

more at: Here

Be careful out there. Power is relative and seriously unforgiving if you are far off in your kite size selection, weather, riggin, preflighting...etc.. This sport can be far more complicated than people give it credit for sometimes.

John Holzhall
Medium Poster

common

Postby John Holzhall » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:03 pm

your bro launched the kite a bit too far into the wind window, it stalled and fell deep in the window into the "shuttle launch" position... at this point you should have already released your bar (ABC's of depowering page 30) you didn't and it shot straight up as you pulled against it...which resulted in you being launched even farther.
Before you go back out, check out Secrets of Kiteboarding the Book
and DVD http://www.kiteboardcenter.com

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:09 pm

Well it's clear to me that there are many things that might have gone wrong, but only one that DEFINITELY went wrong.

You NEED a quick release and a kite-leash. When shit goes 1/10th as wrong as you described you should already be watching your depowered kite fluttering harmlessly to the ground. I don't know why, but I can tell you the single most common mistake I see is people unwilling to release the kite.

I kind of hate to say this, but I have a hard time feeling bad for someone being dragged down the beach and reaching for their trim strap. You'd be better off just yelling out what color flowers you like (for the funeral).

By the way, the quick-release and kite-leash isn't just there to save your butt. It's also there to protect those around you, and the site itself. At my site this is mandatory.

I know you're looking for advice, not flames, so here it is: have a QR and a kite-leash and be prepared to use it.

RC

pjc
Frequent Poster

Postby pjc » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:43 pm

when launching, you always want to err on having the kite a little too far back in the wind window instead of too far forward. you're not always going to get the angle exactly perfect, but you can ride out a little tug on the launch. it's the drift back followed by big powerups that kill you.

if you get the drift back, don't even bother trying to ride it out, just pull the QR. the safety of insisting on a good launch is well worth the time and occasional embaressment.

you don't have a QR and kite leash? good think you're in s africa then i don't want to see you where i ride.

anbeca
Medium Poster

Postby anbeca » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:40 pm

Practice launching unhooked, with safety leash on.

It could be tricky at first but, at any sign of danger... just open your hands... when you get yanked at 20knots face first into the sand, your last reaction will be to fumble for your quick release... your arms will be very busy plowing through the beach....

KiteAA
Rare Poster

Re: Wrong

Postby KiteAA » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:52 pm

I think metallifredd is right on here. Good advise.
This is what happens when you launch the kite too far in front of the windwindow or when the wind direction shifts while launching.
metallifredd wrote:i think that you might just have launched the kite too far in front of the windwindow. then the kite drifts backwards into the powerzone and by the time backward speed is compensated by enough power it will reverse and fly fast forward again. this is especially dangerous in gusty conditons because then the kite really accelerates fast from the powerzone when a gust hits and you get dragged. try to get the launchassistant to really find the perfekt angle to release the kite. or even better you should walk up and down with som tension in the lins to feel the perfekt launch angle.

this has happened to me aswell. of course it can also be bad tuning of the kite. Anyway, test your security stuff alot.
Good luck.

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Wrong

Postby spork » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:14 am

I think metallifredd is right on here.
I think a lot of the advice is good. But I think a lot of it misses the point. Do we want to figure out every possible mistake and then avoid them all, or should we figure out what to do when things do go wrong?

Option 1 is something to strive for. Option 2 is a must, because you'll never achieve option 1.

RC

kootsie
Medium Poster

Postby kootsie » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:20 am

as said 90 degrees is too far.
the kite will be fluttering then.
You have to walk upwind with the bar untill it stops fluttering
Now you are in the right position (about 80 degrees)

Return to “Kitesurfing”