All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:23 am 
Rare Poster

OK, So I do have a QR. It works and I know how to use it.
But don't have a leash. :oops:

Is there a easy way to put one on? Or do I have to buy a new bar? :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:47 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Quote:
OK, So I do have a QR. It works and I know how to use it. But don't have a leash.

On the upside, you were straight up with us and answered the question that was keeping us on the edge of our seats. On the downside, you know how to use your QR, but apparently weren't prepared to use it.

So here's the advice you came here seaking:

Don't be scared shitless. Don't go grow a set of balls. Just drop 5 bones on a kite leash and release the friggen kite when you notice you're dragging at a high rate of speed toward fixed objects or civilians. knowwhatimean?

The wind is very big. You are small. You will never win a real battle with nature. Don't try - and don't wait to find out if it's a real battle - it'll be too late.

RC

P.S. For what it's worth I've seen plenty of people hesitate to release the kite, but I've never seen a released kite get damaged or cause damage (not that it can't happen).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:22 pm 
Medium Poster

donnevan wrote:
OK, So I do have a QR. It works and I know how to use it.
But don't have a leash. :oops:
:-?

So you have half a saftey system
Who sold you your gear?
What brand?
What length lines?
It takes a lot of training to release, having one and being able to get to it under pressure on full length lines are very different things. You should really go through Lesson 2 - Bar, Lines and Safety Systems. Secrets of kiteboarding Book and DVD. http://www.kiteboardcenter.com[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:34 am 
Very Frequent Poster

just a thought....In powered conditions pull in on the de-power strap all the way before you launch and try to launch un-hooked if you can. That way if the kite doesnt calm down or something crazy happens like a hard gust or a knoted line you will be able to go to the leash fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:05 am 
Very Frequent Poster

just another thought....QRs dont always work. Dont count on being able to pull one. Things can happen so fast you will not have time to react. A leash that works is easy to make. Use two SS rings. Check out some of the manufacturers web pages or do a search on some of the forums for photos. Better yet get one of the local riders to show you a leash system. A good, simple leash is good, cheep insurance for you, anybody down wind and for your kite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:41 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Quote:
just another thought....QRs dont always work. Dont count on being able to pull one.

This is true. But I don't get your point. Are you saying that, since they aren't 100% you shouldn't use one? The ONLY argument I can think of to not use a quick release is that you NEVER hook in.

I will admit there are good arguments for launching unhooked rather than counting on a QR (that I don't intend to make here).

But please, somebody give me any acceptable reason for riding without some form of QR if you EVER hook in. This thread is starting to confuse me and make my little bitty brain hurt.

Random rants:

- QR's don't always work. True. I had one that was insufficient in two different ways. I learned about both problems when I was hanging 6 inches off the ground from my pull-up bar and tried to release with my full weight on it. I would've felt really dumb learning about it 30 feet over the rock embankment at our site.

- If you think you can unhook manually while your full weight (or more) is being supported by your harness hook - try it. You'll have to be an olympic athlete OR get your feet higher than your head first (which is precious wasted time).

- I thought of another valid reason to go without a QR: you don't care if you live or die, and you don't care if anyone else does either.

O.K. 'nuff of this nonsense for the moment. I picked a bad week to quit doing drugs.

RC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:02 am 
Rare Poster

Hey All,

Well, this is a great post and now it's all over the place I thought I would confuse it more.

As a beginner (with a double QR system & leash & tested from the roof of my garage) I'm looking to test out some new gear(I changed bars) & practice launching and de-launching my kite this weekend in the SF Bay area....assuming there is some decent wind. I know the thermals are gone and it could get gusty as all hell.

I checked out some of the usual spots(crissy lawn, ocean beach, 3rd ave, stinson) but I wanted to hear from you guys(some of you are local) as to where you would recommend? Just don't want to get in anyone's way or piss anyone off!

FWIW - 6ft2, 200lbs with a smallish kite(10m)

Any advice mch appreciated, thanks, Digs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:45 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Digs,

If you find significant wind in the S.F. Bay area this weekend you're a better man than I - but that's probably the case anyway. If there's enough wind to practice launching and landing I might be able to get up to 3rd Ave to poke around the new gear with you. If you do play around at 3rd Ave there's only one place to do it - the mud-flats at the North launch.

Under no circumstances should you launch, fly, or land the kite on or over the bike-path or rocks. Also, don't play with anything bigger than a training kite (even at the mud flats) unless you know you have a working QR and leash. In my opinion, this is one of the best sites in the Bay Area, which is among the best sites in the U.S.; so we don't want to lose it. Almost everyone you find there will be friendly and helpful if you don't look like you're going out of your way to create a hazard.

And yes, we have dragged several injured people off the rocks. They're deceptively hard and stationary!

I'm happy to help if you want it. Please find someone else with experience if not.

RC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:49 am 
Rare Poster

Ok here goes.
Can I make up my own leash and just attach it to one of the lines. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:56 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

donnevan wrote:
Ok here goes.
Can I make up my own leash and just attach it to one of the lines. :?:

Sure, if you *really know what you're doing* - that means fully understanding your bar/lines/kite system and how it works, as well as knowing the proper materials to use and how to tie the proper knots.

A better idea would be to get the gear properly set up and explained to you by the shop you bought it from - as it should have been in the first place. If that's not possible, get help from a local shop or some experienced kiter(s). An improperly set up leash can be MORE dangerous than no leash at all (this is in no way an argument for going leashless, I'm just saying to get the leash, but make sure it's done right).

[ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next