ACCIDENT DETAILS - WARNING GRAPHIC PHOTOS

Forum for kitesurfers
buttercutter
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby buttercutter » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:33 pm

This guy is VERY lucky. Although he got hurt pretty badly, at least he is still alive and able to walk. Wish him the best in his recovery. Those boards look pretty sweet.

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:42 am

The pics of the original post are, imo, the best way to jolt people back to the reality that our sport can be lethal, if not practiced with full caution.
A data bank with lots of kite injuries (pictures) would be a good tool for beginners and experts alike, and would help in the promotion of using all possible safety gear (helmets, vests,... )
Anyone know of such a source ?
Nico
PS this post should be revived regularly

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:40 am

Nico wrote:The pics of the original post are, imo, the best way to jolt people back to the reality that our sport can be lethal, if not practiced with full caution.
A data bank with lots of kite injuries (pictures) would be a good tool for beginners and experts alike, and would help in the promotion of using all possible safety gear (helmets, vests,... )
Anyone know of such a source ?
Nico
PS this post should be revived regularly
Thanks to this rider for going out of his way to spread the benefit of his experience. This came through inconvenience and added distress at a time when he had his hands full with pain, uncertainty about the future, his family and heart felt confusion. Still, despite that he wanted to try to do some good. I believe he has too and in a unique, selfless fashion. I really admire this rider's character and drive. I can't recall the last time photos were sent or offered for circulation much less with encouragement to try to spread lessons from a painful accident even while the victim was in the throws of injury.

With this precident, perhaps people will provide photos in the future. At the same time, some people are worried about the wrong idea being gathered about our sport. They feel that accounts and god forbid, photos, might be seized by foes of kiteboarding and used against it in legal proceedings, etc.. I have looked past this concern to what I have believed for a long time is a more fundamental and important need. That is working to reduce avoidable accidents and incidents in the first place by building awareness of what can go wrong and how to try to avoid it. Some people have chosen to believe that there really isn't a problem with awareness or the need to improve kiteboarding safety practices, fortunately largely historically at this point. Still there was a time when very few thought any of this was a good idea. Given continuing accidents, to all skill levels, I don't see that the need has changed much. I see signs of improvement however, I just don't think we are quite there yet.

I have started updating the KSI again after a long absence. Throughout this time I have continued to collect accident data and occassionally post articles and regularly update and post the Safe Kiteboarding Guidlines to encompass new ideas when I encounter them. So, through time you will see past accounts show up. Still, I think there is some need to continue the database even given the repetitious nature of many accidents. Is there a place for injury photos there? I can certainly imagine substantial benefits but what do others think about this.

I will continue to post updates on this riders condition and process of healing as time goes on. Thanks for your input Nico.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:14 pm

So what do you think about Nico's idea for a accident database with photos? It could do some good but some might conclude that possible negative consequences might outweigh the benefits. Then again, some people demand harsh evidence beyond what simple facts and reason can convey just to take reasonable care. This sport conveys a strong, deceptive impression of simplicity.

Of course some feel that way about just wearing helmets or even promoting kiteboarding safety, thinking these things "are bad for business?!" I have trouble figuring out that conclusion as the cost of ignorance and indifference to revenues seems to be potentially much higher.

Before attempting to put something together like this it would be good to receive some input on the suggestion.

kitester
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitester » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:59 am

Rick,

I think that having a database of "kitemares" would be useful to those who are interested in getting into the sport. Adding photos would absolutely drive home the reality of the dangers involved in kiteboarding. It would be great to see if this would separate the wheat from the chaff. Those people who are just "interested" would be turned away before they get involved. To hell with business.
But, for us who already enjoy it or those who really want to learn there is a very real downside to the idea. What happens when any city council is faced with the question of weather or not to ban the sport from their beach? It would be just as easy for any opponent to kiting to look up on the Internet and download accident accounts and pictures of people in hospitals with body parts hanging off. How well do think that would go over at the town meeting? People who don’t kiteboard will be making decisions that affect your access. Do you want to help them in an effort to ban the sport?
Unlike most extreme sports activities such as skydiving we share a venue with a broad range of the general public. Such a database would be a strong argument to set bans in place. We have been lucky not to have more complaints and serious accidents on our beaches in north Florida. That is because we are not a “hot spotâ€

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:11 pm

There are existing kiteboarding accident databases out there currently of course. The KSI is only one of them, LOCATED HERE. The Kitesurfing Accident Database, the earlier version of what was later named the KSI, did include some text to try to develop attention and emphasis otherwise emotional content. It was intended to remove this in the KSI and keep it fairly dry and to the point. There haven't been regular updates to the KSI for sometime for a variety of reasons that I won't get into. Updates are being added again however. There have been regular revisions of the Safe Kiteboarding Guidelines and specific articles on a variety of related subjects on a regular basis throughout.

So, this is one vote against a database with photos.

No kiteboarder, least of all me, wants to intentionally fuel opposition to access. Still ...

Consider the effectiveness of efforts to build awareness to date.

Many accident summarys are available and had been for years accenting the relatively easy ways to reduce the probability of an accident. In the case of the KSI, the accounts have been as detailed as available information and apparent need permitted. A ton of other articles have been generated from this analysis.

Despite this, what should be common knowledge, HAZARD AWARENESS AND APPRECIATION are far from commonly held or practiced. Relatively avoidable incidents and accidents of a repetitive nature continue to occur. These events pose a threat to access all on their own, e.g. events in Miami, FL.

What to do?

Continue to do what has been done for years, with substantially limited results ...

or,

try something new and a bit more impacting such as summaries with photos, if they could be acquired to try to get the point across despite routine indifference and lack of interest.

The hit rate on this post alone probably exceeds the total hit rate on the KSI over several years. What do people demand to see to take interest?

What do you think?

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Tue May 03, 2005 9:58 pm

Just heard from the rider and I am very happy to say he is looking much better than when this thread was started. The contrast between the before and after photos is both incredible and telling at the same time. See for yourself below:

Good photo AND good point!

I hope to upload a recent riding shot of our recovered kiteboarder in action on the water soon.

Thanks for staying in touch and keep on riding!

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:06 pm

I was finally able to meet our intrepid rider in person at Surf Expo. It is impressive how some people respond and rise to deal with adversity while immersed in the shock and pain of injury. This guy has earned my vote of respect and then some.

Lolo
Frequent Poster

Postby Lolo » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:37 pm

My best compliments Rick.
This is one of the best posts in this Forum.

Thanks to this guy, he shared well his experience

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:26 am

Thanks! Also, as you say a big thanks to the guy that told his story and provided images to boot. When I first spoke with him he was in the throws of a lot of pain and uncertainty. Still, he wanted to try to help others to try to avoid what happened to him and what he was still going through at the time. This post has almost 10,000 hits far more than I believe the KSI ever received and about as much as the Safe Kiteboarding Guidelines at present. Hopefully, some riders have decided to start wearing good helmets as a consequence of his story. Thanks for reading the account.

FKA, Inc.

Transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Return to “Kitesurfing”