kiteboard prices

forum for kitesurfers

jester56
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

kiteboard prices

Postby jester56 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:53 am

why are kiteboards so expensive? i have just built a kiteboard for my son who is just learning. he could not afford in excess of $1000.00 aud for a new board. i built the board with a 12mm klegecell core and epoxy glass skin with a laminex bottom. the total cost of this board paying retail price for all materials including fins, footpads, and inserts was $330.00 aud. my son has been struggling to learn on a 130 cm board but over the easter weekend i watced him jump on his homemade board and crank upwind like he has been kiteing for a year. i myself ride poleboards i have been learning to kite but have not yet progressed far enough to get on my board yet. i do not believe their is any real secret technoligy in a kiteboard. i have heard of guys cutting a board out of a lump of plywood screwing straps on and having a ball.so can anyone explain why boards are so dam costly? :?: :bye:

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:14 am

OK. so you spend Aud 330.- for materials
How many working hours in total have you invest ?
buy the materials, gas , preparing , sanding painting drilling etc etc
and decals ? they cost to

And transportation , advertising duties & taxes, storage , retailer profits you own profit margin , nice Girls in bikini , tv spots

You can cut of everything. BUT NOT THE GIRLS IN BIKINIS

OK ? :hotchic:

jester56
Rare Poster

labor costs

Postby jester56 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:22 am

labor costs in thailand are not much and board companies would not pay anywhere near $330.00 for materials

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:33 am

Yes but I am not going to Thailand to buy the board
I live is Spain.

Would you get me the board for Aud$330.- incl. shipping, taxes & duties ??

Peace & love

lesbian horse
Very Frequent Poster

Postby lesbian horse » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:42 am

Alot of the guesswork is already taken out.

I can get the best board on the market for $1000. A board that I know will perform awesome. If I made one there would always be a doubt in my mind that its not as good.

bondo
Frequent Poster

Postby bondo » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:27 pm

hey jester - where do you ride? theres a couple of guys who ride home builts down at wello - both plywood, and both of these guys ride way upwind. I made a couple of ply boards, the best was completely flat rocker and no fins, with resin on the base. its pretty heavy but rides nice in flat water - much like a skimboard (you can pick up Nemo skims for a hundred bucks or so here in Oz) but sucks in the chop. i tend to ride my airush mutant now in light winds instead, as it is better all round..

for your future reference it is possible to get late model production boards new, factory second and second hand for even cheaper than the retail cost of raw materials that you spent. building boards is fun though and really satisfying, and can be very cheap if you stick with ply...

jester56
Rare Poster

Postby jester56 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:22 pm

bondo - spent easter at elliot heads not much wind for polesurfing but the kites were enjoying it lot of caution kites there

jester56
Rare Poster

Postby jester56 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:28 pm

another quetion while im on my soapbox why do you guys need g10 fins. i can understand the need for g10 fins on a sailboard that has 50 cm fin but a 5 cm fin you got to be kidding.

zfennell
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zfennell » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:44 pm

another quetion while im on my soapbox why do you guys need g10 fins. i can understand the need for g10 fins on a sailboard that has 50 cm fin but a 5 cm fin you got to be kidding.

:)
true, but are you likely to run your 50cm pointer
up on the beach?

lesbian horse
Very Frequent Poster

Postby lesbian horse » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:45 pm

One of the good things about kiting is you can skim along in 5cm of water, but occasionaly you hit a shallower bit or rock. So its a good thing having tough fins.

Return to “Kitesurfing”