Sand the edge of a board?

forum for kitesurfers

elli
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Sand the edge of a board?

Postby elli » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:27 am

Is it safe to sand the edges of a board that got scratched from rocks? I am talking about 1-2MM hits that make the edge of the board rough. A few inches of the rail are scratched, looks like it slid on something really rough (just the corner, the rest of the surface is smooth).

Hardcave1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Out front of my house at Brighton, Brisbane
Favorite Beaches: At home
Style: Old school
Gear: 2001 underground twin tip, 2013 North Rebel
Brand Affiliation: North

Postby Hardcave1 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:45 am

Why bother I leave them as war scares. A badly scratched and dented board gives good beach credibility. Make you a local hero.

sgt. Salty
Frequent Poster

Postby sgt. Salty » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:06 am

Hardcave1 wrote:Why bother I leave them as war scares. A badly scratched and dented board gives good beach credibility. Make you a local hero.
Seems like you've seen my board 8)

It looks like I need a sticker "I break for nobody", means even not for rocks!

Be proud of the scars and make a a really awesome story where you got them. :lol:

elli
Medium Poster

Postby elli » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:04 am

I have scars on my body that go with good stories, well some with slightly stupid stories, but fun to tell :wink:

But doesn't it affect performance? If the edge is severely scratched, doesn't it slow it down or reduces the grip? After all, if rough edges were good for anything, the board would come like that stock!

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:15 pm

if you're worried about that, come to germany and check out my old wakeboard. i've been riding over anything with that for years...
rocks, reefs, beaches, streets .... the edge is totally wasted, but the board still rides.

BK
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: CABRINHA Rider and Representative

Postby BK » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:33 pm

Totally depends on the construction. If it is a wakeboard or snowboard style construction, or most new boards with the ABS rails, 1-2mm to get the scratches out will not be a problem. If it a conventional resin and cloth lay-up construction, then I would probably not mess with it. If it is in the first group mentioned, you can easily soften or harden the rails to change the ride characteristics...edgy, or forgiving.

Return to “Kitesurfing”