All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Venezuala and general South America kiting locations
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:31 pm 
Rare Poster

Hi all,

I'm an Ozzie Backpacker who is on a flight to Caracus next week with kite gear in tow. I have been reading up on Isle Margarita and Coche. I am intersted in what the wind and water conditions are like along the mainland in the north East...

I am still pretty much a learner (as in Not staying upwind) and want some space. I am an experienced windsurfer with most under mast high conditions. I also want cheap accom as am in backpacker mode for the next four months.

Anyone with some tips or websites I should check, I'd appreciate your reply..

cheers

Hamish
Perth West Oz

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Venezuela Kiteboarding
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:48 pm 
Medium Poster

Hi..

there are a few Spots near caracas, but not good for learning and not very reliable wind this time of the year..

In the north there is a popular spot called "adicora" on the peninsula paraguna (by bus (main bus terminal - valencia -coro) or by plane to punto fijo or coro than bus or taxi to Adicora)

it is flat with waves..side to on shore..good for kiting.

at this time of the year it is not very reliable..I think there is some wind at the moment..the wind in margarita seems better at the moment

also there isa not a lot of people there at this moment, (so the beach isn't cleaned up)

there are 3 posadoas at the beach (arlos place adicora kitesurf, windsurfing adicora and archis Posada)

find out more at kitesurfing-venezuela.de (it is german but still)

I think it is better and cheaper to learn there than margarita

cheers basti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:30 pm 
Rare Poster

Thanks for your reply Basti,

I will look at that site and check it out some more.

But what about the North East coast on from Cuman .. say Rio Caribe? Any spots up that way? I take from what your saying that the isles cop more wind in general?

Also, how safe is my kite bag on local buses. I have a heavy duty bike lock / cable. Am I a robbers target with kite gear or is safety not so bad as I read. I've read north of Caracus is so so on this front?

Thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:37 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Hamish: notoriously windy (starting in November through April) is Costa Rica - either Lake Arenal, or Bahia Salinas on the Pacific coast. I'm guessing Lake Nicaragua in Nicaragua is probably seriously windy too - why don't you check it out for us?

Only problem with these places is it might be TOO windy for a beginner...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:24 pm 
Rare Poster

in Chile we are in the time of wind....we have all the sea and puclaro in La Serena...all the beaches are for kite 7 to 12 and Puclaro i to 7 and 9 metres

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:09 pm 
Rare Poster

adicora is perfect for learning, the spots near caracas are for intermidiate-advance kiters i dont recomend them. Coche and margarita are good also and you can get good deals since is not high season. Los roques is perfect and beautiful but not cheap at all.
The winds this time of year are not that good, but in adicora almost every day you get at least 14 kns (it can get to 30s+). The thing with adicora is that is not a very pretty beach.
You can check http://www.venakite.com or go to http://www.auyantepui.com and brose for kitesurf, you´ll get some info there.
And if you come be carefull, and don´t trust the taxis at the airport, don´t go with the ones that come to you and offer the taxi, go to the street and take the black suvs taxis, or get the infoboth to call you one.

[ 6 posts ]