Forum for kitesurfers
spidermedic
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rhino 06, Best kite ever?

Postby spidermedic » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:07 pm

Looks like the new Rhinos are going to make the Hellfish, Crossbow and Flysurfer obsolete!

Sorry, I couldn't resist...don't you people know a red herrring when you see one? :lol:

Cheers!

joker
Rare Poster

Postby joker » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:41 pm

Actually, the new rhino does'nt look super innovative compared to the changes made in previous models.
The outline looks the same and the only big thing is the cambers.

Sea&Sun
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Rhino 06, Best kite ever?

Postby Sea&Sun » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:01 pm

spidermedic wrote:Looks like the new Rhinos are going to make the Hellfish, Crossbow and Flysurfer obsolete!

Sorry, I couldn't resist...don't you people know a red herrring when you see one? :lol:

Cheers!
I looked at the photos but still don't know why it would seem like it would make other kites obsolete. Could you please go in to some detail?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:31 pm

I think spider.. made a joke.

It does not look like a big change, but the R5 is already a great kite...and North does not put in gadget which are just there for the fun....according to North every company will have this in the future....so they are onto something there....

First test kites will be available in August, then we will see...

Greets
Toby

Beachboy
Frequent Poster

Postby Beachboy » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:34 am

Sorry, Toby, it just looks like the same kite that has been around for years. Just a few tweaks here and there. It is clear that all of the "C Shaped" inflatables have some major design flaw that make the sport very dangerous. Especially when it comes to overall flight stability, Cheers to Takoon and Cabrinha for trying something new. I haven't even seen one yet, and don't know anything about their performance. But at least they are opening up new possibilities and aren't peddling the same old kite design over and over.

But of course... most of the new kites have the revolutionary new Turbo Vortex Power Vector Technology!! Dude... that rocks!!!

Trant
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Trant » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:17 am

It is clear that all of the "C Shaped" inflatables have some major design flaw that make the sport very dangerous
you wouldn't be a foil rider by any chance would you? :roll:
Can't we all just get along?

Love my Rhino V's and can't wait to test the new Rhino 6. That's the trouble with most new kites, you don't know what changes they've really made until you test drive it! Thanks for the photos anyway Toby, nice to see the actual kite.

4T
Medium Poster
Location: the brain and hands behind C3 - CustomCarbonComposites

Postby 4T » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:01 am

i have to agree with Beachboy here,

i'm new to the dark side of kiting [windwacker or polesurfer so far...], but what kept me off kiting for the last few years were the obvious flaws in basic safety of the gear. proven by a relatively large number of casualties compared to other water sports.

i have quite a bit of kitesurfing unrelated experience in aero and hydrodynamic design and the changes the crossbow and nova are bringing into the the sport are obvious to me. :thumb:

but now i say: BRING IT ON!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:02 pm

they normal c-shape will always be the same.
But little things like the cam battens, or new material can change things. It won't be a new kite, but can make the performance even better.

But of course, I can still jump high with a 2001 kite....but the question is the alround performance, if one kite can please us all.

As to safety it is different. I really like the the safety idea of Windwing, TNova, and Crossbow. Looks nice and can be a further step.
For beginners and intermediate a great step to more safety. Now we have to find out the performance and if excellent, then good riders can be aimed at.

Furture knows once again...

Greets
Toby

sidestancesports
Rare Poster

Postby sidestancesports » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:15 am

Yes all others are obselete!!!!

Beachboy
Frequent Poster

Postby Beachboy » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:15 pm

Yes... untill we improve on the "C" shape inflatable, this will continue to be a dangerous sport. Honestly, it seems strange to me that most riders refuse to accept that their kites could be much safer. In fact... they fight against this concept. I have flown kites that are truly stable. The difference is remarkable!! Yet, you don't really have to give up performance. Seems like a "no brainer".

Return to “Kitesurfing”