All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: New To the Sky/Surf
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:10 pm 
Rare Poster

Hi

So this is my first post on the forum as i have been newly converted to the life of the kite. :thumb:

Anyway i found what i believe to b a great deal on ebay and went and sailed into the overdraft for it

As a beginners package i got

1) North Toro 2 kitesurfing kite size 12m 2003 with pump and bag
2) Lines and a North Septer bar
3) Airush switch 2005 142cm kiteboard
4) leash and pat love padded board bag

granted i have to still buy a brain protector, harness and wet suit

Now the kite has been used a total of 5 times and the board 2 times and all for a total of £445. No tears, repairs or other unpleasantness

Now i dont know much but that seems a good deal, did i do well with this beginners combo package or did i enter the red for nothing.

Cheers and hopefully i will be wetting my toes and scaring myself in no time at all.

:thumb:

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:44 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

If you haven't taken lessons, then all that money went for nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:13 pm 
Medium Poster

Skysurf??
Wrong gear!! You need a parachute and an airplane!!!! :D But, as you already bought these…

Welcome!!!
:thumb:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:03 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

yes, you first need lessons!

http://www.kiteschools.com

The package is ok, but make sure you have a working quick release on the bar!

But it can be repalced with a working one.

Greets
Toby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:00 pm 
Rare Poster

Sorry to mention i have had lessons went on a week kitesurfing camp in Fuerteventura and i am up to water starts etc.
No way in hell am i going to attach myself to a parachute via a harness and then strap a bit of plastic to my feet and attempt to drag myself across shark infested water without a lesson or thousand under my belt.

From what i gathered the North Septer Bar has a quick release system though i will obvisously replace it if it doesnt as i aint ready to die just yet esp with my less then perfect kite skills i am bound to do some more superman flying as the kite drops through the "power zone". But only water so what the harm :cry:. Tell that to the blood that came out of my face last time hahaha ouch

In fact i have another lesson hopefully on the 15aug was supposed to have one on sat (just gone) but wind was to strong / gusty for a newbie like me and so dude cancelled it so fingers crossed conditions will be better then. But inbetween i am practising my board skills on a cable ski at a near by ski lake so hopefully i will be a bit better prepared when the day finally comes. If time allows i might even bust out the 5m flexifoil blade and just practise cruising the window edge.

Cheers guys and hopefully i will b up and kitesurfing soon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:22 pm 
Rare Poster

Hi again after careful research i have found out that it has a

Quick-Release Trim Loop
a.k.a. "The Chicken Loop"
Permits the rider to escape from the trim loop in an emergency.

Now is that what u meant or did u also mean an emergency escape mechanism like is found on the
Cabrinha Recon Bar

As that was the bar i used on my training week and actually hit the emergency release when i was being dragged under the water (think i was panicing more then anything but that seemed to work)

Seriously everyones .2 cents much apperciated

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:08 am 
Very Frequent Poster

That's the way to do it - wish I had been able to hit a cable park before trying to learn waterstarts, but at least I had the kite skills.

The only bad thing about your package is that you may find yourself wanting to add a bigger kite to your quiver sooner rather than later - The Great Carnak sees a 17m in your future...

Another thing you can do in your spare time is cruise http://www.kitesurfingschool.org, lots of good reading there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:32 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Hi Drifter

I had a Torro 2, it is a very nice kite to fly and will serve you well. Do not over inflate the leading edge as this model does not have very strong material and has very small overlapped stitching, not being one of the strongest out there. I used to pump mine up very tight and unfortunately when streched out on the sand this lead to the explosion of the central seam and subsequent bladder. now this can be repaired but makes for a shit session. Hence I recommend keeping the pressure to sufficient for water start but not too drum tight.

As for safety, test it simmply by hanging safely with whole body weight, and release, the safety must release when under pressure. then sit in front of the TV and practice releasing the safety until you can do it without even thinking. even if it is easy to do, as it should be, you need to imprint on you reflexes to use it.

Never try to self land!!!!!

Dazza. :thumb:

[ 8 posts ]