All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: OT - Screw Lids ... Helmets, not jar caps!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:48 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Riders fought for a very long time to repeal the law requiring motorcycle helmets in Florida. Well, they finally won ... or did they?

Motorcycle deaths in Fla. soared 81% after helmet law was repealed, study says

Associated Press
Posted August 8 2005, 6:29 AM EDT

MIAMI -- A federal study has found motorcycle fatalities in Florida increased more than 81 percent, and the number of deaths for riders younger than 21 nearly tripled, in three years after state lawmakers repealed a law requiring riders to wear a helmet.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration study also found injuries have become more expensive to treat. The average hospital cost to treat a head injury was $45,602, more than four times the $10,000 insurance non-helmeted riders are required to carry.

But the study also noted that some of the increase in fatalities can be attributed to alcohol use, speed and increased ridership.

Preusser Research Group, a Connecticut research firm specializing in transportation and highway safety, conducted the study for the federal agency.

The data suggests helmet use has declined, even among riders younger than 21 who are still required by state law to wear helmets, according to the agency.

In the three years before the July 1, 2000, repeal of the helmet law, 9 percent of the 515 motorcyclists killed in crashes were not wearing a helmet. Of the 35 motorcyclists younger than 21 killed in crashes during those three years, 26 percent were not wearing helmets.

In the three years after the repeal, 61 percent of the 933 fatally injured motorcyclists were not wearing a helmet. Of the 101 riders younger than 21 who were killed in those three years, 45 percent were not wearing a helmet.

``The numbers are pretty compelling that Florida has paid a high price,'' said Rae Tyson, an agency spokesman. ``There is enough here for any state contemplating a helmet repeal to realize there are serious consequences.''

Head-injury hospital admissions rose 80 percent and the cost for hospitals to treat head, brain or skull injuries more than doubled, from $21 million to $50 million, according to the study.

James Reichenbach, president of ABATE of Florida, who lobbied to repeal the helmet law in 2000, said the federal agency is biased against riders who do not wear helmets.

He said the increase in fatalities can be largely attributed to motorcycles' increasing popularity.

Last edited by RickI on Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:52 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

If you don't wear a helmet on a bike you haven't been riding a bike to long and if you don't wear a helmet you won't be riding a bike to long. You can't even tell the things are on your head why not save your skull?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:02 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

i suppose they have a right to ride w/o a brain bucket if they sign away all rights to medicare, social security, and other forms of social welfare (which they have not done). i ride, and i ride fast. but i also wear complete protective gear and i have insurance to pay all my medical expenses plus disability insurance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:54 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I just noticed the newspaper put up a poll regarding helmet use. It is reproduced below:

After the mandatory helmet law was repealed in 2000, motorcycle deaths in Florida rose 81 percent and the number of costly head injuries rose 80 percent. Is it time to require helmets again?

25.7%
No. Wearing a helmet is a personal choice for a motorcycle rider, who knows the risks. (472 responses)

74.3%
Yes. Riding without a helmet is just too risky. (1362 responses)

1834 total responses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:03 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I find it rediculous that I have to wear a seat belt (I would anyway) because there is a law but a motorcycle rider has the option to not wear a helmet.

Wearing a helmet on a motorcycle is not only to protect the motorcycle rider but it will also protect some poor soul who happens to hit a motorcycle rider from Killing him.
If you accadently hit a rider with a helmet he is more likely to survive than he is without a helmet and therefor save everyone the pain of a death. If he is not wearing a helmet and dies the person that hit him could be charged with vehicular manslaughter. So a helmet law not only protects riders of motorcycles, but also protects those unfortunate enough to run into one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:55 pm 
Medium Poster

PA repealed the helmet law about 2 years ago if I remember. I just shake my head when I see the squidliest squids or macho'ist big dawgs out there naked. I mean, why not just ride COMPLETELY naked. What's the friggin difference?!

And as was pointed out - it's not your goddamed right to "wear what I feel like wearing" - if that were the case, then I should be allowed to put big pointy metal rods on all angles of my car. If I happen to spear you by accident or you take a turn to wide and hit my car, your loss- I do what I feel like regardless of the statistics that tells me it's retarded to do.

I rode for 3 years before I had to give up the bike (moved to a very congested area) and I see no reason why a helmet should bother a rider, and given that half of these morons wear beanies that are just as worthless as NO helmet, why bother?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:32 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

On the upside, Darwin still comes out ahead in this scenario - most of those "under 21" riders will fail to reproduce :thumb:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:06 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

They wrapped the poll up with only 5200 responses in about 24 hours, must be nice, anyway the results follow:

These polls are not scientific. Polls results are not posted here if there is evidence of tampering that skewed results.

Aug. 8 After the mandatory helmet law was repealed in 2000, motorcycle deaths in Florida rose 81 percent and the number of costly head injuries rose 80 percent. Is it time to require helmets again?

26.4%
No. Wearing a helmet is a personal choice for a motorcycle rider, who knows the risks. (1376 responses)

73.6%
Yes. Riding without a helmet is just too risky. (3837 responses)

5213 total responses

From: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/sfl-po ... me-utility

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:23 pm 
Rare Poster

I support the right of wearing no helmet.

With that said, I raced Motocross growing up and have owned several motorcycles and I would never ride without a helmet.

I also support the right to not have to wear a seatbelt. I wear a seatbelt but don't feel it should be forced.

Cirrus- I cant see the similarity between not wearing a helmet and turning your car into a Mad Max pointy death vehicle. Maybe if the pointed spikes were all inside the vehicle aiming at the driver would the relation work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:41 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

chui wrote:
I support the right of wearing no helmet.

With that said, I raced Motocross growing up and have owned several motorcycles and I would never ride without a helmet..

As helmet use in Florida is no longer required by law, not wearing one IS within a person's rights. Apparently, quite a few guys are putting that right in action in practical road tests. It seems a number of additional riders are enjoying the newly regained right into death. It is a sad consequence of independent will but so be it.

chui wrote:

I also support the right to not have to wear a seatbelt. I wear a seatbelt but don't feel it should be forced.

In Florida, seatbelts are required under the law. So there is NO right to go without them. It is an option of course with legal and potentially more harsh consequences imposed by reality.

Choices.

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next