forum for kitesurfers

ravenboardz
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ravenboardz » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:57 am

:bye: :bye: :bye:
..oh yes ...I forgot china, where eating out can kill you :lol: :lol: :lol:
In the USA there is more people dying in caraccidents than in germany...and we dont even have a speedlimit...doing 150mph on the highway is cruising here...but we learn how to drive and have good cars...we dont do it the american spaceshuttle way, 10 tries 9 lucky...we know what we´re doing...apart from this, the safetyaspect of kiting is on a very high standart over here...we all have a insurence for kitesurfing, most of us did a course, help each other and most of the safetygear came from kiters in the EU to make it safe in the first place. You could not sell it here otherwise
Still all that talk has been done too many times over...mabey a safetyforum is a usefull idea for you...that way we dont get spamed...I dont need to read and see BAD things all around me all the time...thats why I switch of the telly and go kitesurfing...to relax and switch of, you know? But on the other hand people always collect bad happenings and incedents...its human, I guess

Philipp
Rare Poster

Postby Philipp » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:59 am

Keep up the good work Rick. Your information prevents injuries and saves lives - there is nothing more valuable you could do!!!

Philipp

ravenboardz
Medium Poster

Postby ravenboardz » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:13 am

Oh yes, as you all ride on about thís "it´s a free forum and we can all say what we want stuff"...so can I 8) kitesurfing IS a save sport....just like paragliding!!!! If you know what your doing, that is...
Cu :bye:

Scribbler
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Scribbler » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:18 am

That's a sweet little bubble you're in there, Ravingbored...
I hope it don't ever burst on ya...

stay safe sunshine.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:37 pm

Tom183 wrote:Rick - is this a recent incident? All I could find in those links was something from January...

If it was a recent incident, where's the detailed info?
It is fairly recent and being actively researched with a lot of information still to be gathered. It carries a lot of important lessons from early appearences and I want to try to get it right. What is posted at the start of this thread came out early on.

It really doesn't matter where you ride, unstable weather is a reality, if sometimes an infrequent one. We all need to carefully examine the forecasts and watch for changes throughout our sessions. "Normal weather" has lost a lot of meaning in the last couple of years in quite a few places.

I hear what folks are saying about Virginia Key Beach, it is all relative. When you compare it to wide open, less populated rock free launches in other areas of SE Florida, it can be hazardous. There are more challenging launches out there, so point well made. The problems come into play when people launch/land/ride at a place like Virginia Key as if they were in one of the wide open, less challenging spots or just get careless. This has happened a number of times in the past at this launch alone.

Thanks again for the support guys. For folks that may be on the fence about all of this, why not look into things a bit further. You then could exercise the option of making your own mind up based upon a bit of history and unfortunately, on going current events at times:

Read more here

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

stoner
Medium Poster

Postby stoner » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:50 pm

Scribbler wrote:That's a sweet little bubble you're in there, Ravingbored...
I hope it don't ever burst on ya...

stay safe sunshine.
Too true dude. But you never know with Mutha Nature... even the sage RickI has been slammed (which may help explain his zeal)... although it's a big planet and not all of us routinely think about going out in fickle sub-storm conditions like Florida kitesurfers appear to.

Personally, at the stage of the game, I think the gratuitous shock, horror accident headlines are just another form of slowing down to rubber-neck at scene of the misfortune of others... there but for the grace of SATAN THE DARK OVERLORD (insert preferred deity) go I.

I'm surprised that so many of you still bother to read RickI's alarmist posts. Let's face it, they ARE boring and at this stage of the game they don't appear to be bringing anything new to the table. There's no new wolf at the door. There's just a boy with a wolf bite scar showing everyone his collection of wolves teeth.

Flame away dudes >> it would be the politically correct thing to do >> defend the safe(ty) angle. I expect RickI will be first to arc up and self-righteously defend his self-advocacy... but dude, telling us 'avoiding my posts is easy, don't click on them' is also something most of us have already learnt.

:kiff:

BK
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: CABRINHA Rider and Representative

Postby BK » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:32 pm

Props to Rick. Thanks for the much needed reality check.

BK

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:55 pm

stoner wrote:[ at this stage of the game they don't appear to be bringing anything new to the table.
That is unfortunately all too true - we're just seeing guys repeat the same mistakes now. No surprises, it's either equipment failure or bad conditions or insufficient instruction or (most often) bad judgement...

We know the problems, now it's just a matter of statistics - chalk up another 4...

pluvious
Medium Poster

Postby pluvious » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:51 pm

so far it looks like 10 to 2 in favor of rick. or maybe 20 to 2. whatever the number it's clear that the vast majority of folks reading this forum approve of the work rick is doing.

pay the numbskull naysaying semi-morons no heed, rick, as it's clear that your repeated posts, with information, analysis, etc., has played (and continues to play) a large role in educating the ridership about the dangers of the sport. that's a great and valuable service. i wonder how many injuries you've prevented?

as regards the repetition, let's remember that there are new riders logging on every day, so what looks to you to be rick's umpteenth post on the dangers and hazards of kiteboarding, to the newcomer it looks like his first exposure, the first time anybody has mentioned anything about safety. the dude who sold the newb his first kite in the parking lot probably didn't mention much about the potential death factor.

so, keep on posting, rick. we (all) still have plenty to learn about weather, safety, etc.

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:32 pm

I think it's good to have the info out there, especially for newbs, but I can't get excited about seeing yet another "rider lofted by squall" thread...

Does the evening news ever lead off with any stories entitled "Smoker Dies from Lung Cancer!!!" or "Motorcyclist Not Wearing Helmet Dies in High-Speed Crash!!!"? Why not? Because it's f*cking expected - we all know the risks, some people do it anyway, and nobody should be surprised by outcome... Like I said, it's just statistics at this point - yawn.

Why don't we dig a little deeper? How many guys ride near squalls on a regular basis, and how often do they get lofted?

Return to “Kitesurfing”