Kerala coast India

Forum for kitesurfers
billb
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kerala coast India

Postby billb » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:43 am

Has anybody been kitesurfing on the Kerala coast in India, thinking of going in lateOctober/ early November for a few weeks not really for kitesurfing but thinking of packing a kite or 2 in case it gets windy. Any tips on spots or wind strenghts would be good.
thanks

Bill

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:25 am

only beaches on Goa coast listed so far on http://www.kitebeaches.com

But if you go there, please load up beach info and pictures to the site to help out others who will follow you in the future.

Thanks and have a great trip!
Toby

Live2KITE
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kerala coast India

Postby Live2KITE » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:46 am

billb wrote:Has anybody been kitesurfing on the Kerala coast in India, thinking of going in lateOctober/ early November for a few weeks not really for kitesurfing but thinking of packing a kite or 2 in case it gets windy. Any tips on spots or wind strenghts would be good.
thanks

Bill
Hi Bill,
We hit Kerala last October, more towards the backwaters up on the north of the state, about 3-4 hrs from Mangalore on the coast of Kerala.
The wind was aprx. 12-15mph, fairly consistent from 4pm onwards.
The Arabian sea is really warm, with small waves at that time of the year.

The locals were telling us that January gets stronger.

Keep in mind that Kerala is 650km of virgin coastline (photos attached - endless beach), except from the south where the resorts are. Accessing the coastline is always tough since infrastructure is very primitive in most cases, primarily on the northern parts of Kerala.

Kites (nor tourists to that matter) are not a regular sight in these traditional parts of the country. We just arrived from our 4th trip to India a few days ago!

From Kerala, Goa is only a couple of hrs away with a flight and there are some interesting spots also, although the wind is just starting in Oct / Nov.

Alternatively you can fly to Maldives (another 2 or so hrs from Trivandrum) where you can get some good riding (photo attached)

Best of luck and let me know where you ended up.

Our next trip will be on the East side of the country in a few months.

:bye:

Evan - Live2KITE
(415) 722-7884
http://www.live2kite.com
[RRD, Caution, Liquid Force, Globerider, Underground, Hana Crew, Cabal Skimboards, Litewave Design, NSI, Protec, Capix, SR, Aquapac, Okespor, Gul, Q-Lines, Rainbow, Seaspecs, Aquashade, UltraNectar, Bump'n'Jump]

avrappi
Rare Poster
Gear: bandit

Postby avrappi » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:15 am

Hi,
Looking for an instructor to teach kite surfing in Kerala.... please let me know,
Avra

Live2KITE
Frequent Poster

Postby Live2KITE » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:40 am

Hi there,
PM with your email.
Thx,
Evan

avrappi
Rare Poster
Gear: bandit

Postby avrappi » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:11 am

hi,
avra3@hotmail.com
tks
avra

Maxinho
Rare Poster
Gear: RPM

Postby Maxinho » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:53 am

Any updates on the kite-scene in Kerala?? I have been to Varkala earlier this year and saw a kite once...but the wind seems to be better in the summer months (june-augusut) if I am not mistaken??

Windfinder shows some good winds the further south you venture!

heinzbush
Medium Poster

Postby heinzbush » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:05 pm

Also interested in some more infos on West Coast...

I am based in Chennai on the East Coast currently, we have "fairly decent" wind from March till August / September and are a small kite community of expats. By "decent" I mean in terms of Indian standards, that means most flown kite size is 14...

beaches are really dirty if you don't know where to go and the moment you set up you have a crowd of locals trying to touch and play with everything... This can get not only annoying but also really dangerous... India is not the country for kiters, however it is perfectly situated to explore the Kite hotspots in other countries (Oman, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Thailand or even Maldives...)

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:10 pm

heinzbush wrote:Also interested in some more infos on West Coast...

I am based in Chennai on the East Coast currently, we have "fairly decent" wind from March till August / September and are a small kite community of expats. By "decent" I mean in terms of Indian standards, that means most flown kite size is 14...

beaches are really dirty if you don't know where to go and the moment you set up you have a crowd of locals trying to touch and play with everything... This can get not only annoying but also really dangerous... India is not the country for kiters, however it is perfectly situated to explore the Kite hotspots in other countries (Oman, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Thailand or even Maldives...)
+1 on the dirty beaches, gotta watch out for the human shit too. Ive done some kiteboarding at Mahabs. Looks like theres a decent chance I'll be working in India again but this time around in Mumbai. I can only imagine how much dirtier the water is going to be around that city.

ELI
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ELI
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabs,Sling and Custom

Postby ELI » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:07 am

+2 on shit on the beach,at sunset or sunrise at the high water mark so it washes into the sea. 150' from hotel beach chairs. Not judging just saying

Return to “Kitesurfing”